mountain lion...report from the frontline...

fisherking

On the full screen thing:

When I go full screen in Logic, the desktop disappears on my second monitor (replaced by the "gray tweed" wallpaper). but all the plug in windows I have dragged over there still appear and are completely accessible, so... when Logic is full screen, the second monitor is still usable. I don't know if you can drag new items to the second monitor, but anything already there stays.

Now, if I go full screen in Safari as I just did, the stuff on the second monitor (Mail, in this case) goes away, just like before.

Been on Mountain Lion since yesterday. So far, overall, my system seems noticeably snappier. The ONE thing I've noticed is that Safari is crashing on me a good bit - usually when I choose to open a link in either a new tab or a new window via the right-click context menu. Until a few minutes ago it's been completely random, couldn't replicate it, however, on this forum when I tried to open this particular thread (both new window and new tab), the browser simply quits. Relaunch, come to the site, try again, crash. I use this behavior a lot so this is an issue for me. I know I can use another browser - would prefer not to as 1) Safari is much snappier in Mountain Lion, don't feel like dealing with differing bookmarks between my Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc. That's one thing I like about keeping it in the Apple ecosystem...

It's the same as before but it seems that you can at least choose the monitor.

Thanks - do you know if it blanks out the other non-fullscreen monitor, or does Apple now realise that some clever people can actually multitask..?

On the full screen thing:

When I go full screen in Logic, the desktop disappears on my second monitor (replaced by the "gray tweed" wallpaper). but all the plug in windows I have dragged over there still appear and are completely accessible, so... when Logic is full screen, the second monitor is still usable. I don't know if you can drag new items to the second monitor, but anything already there stays.

Now, if I go full screen in Safari as I just did, the stuff on the second monitor (Mail, in this case) goes away, just like before.

Bugger. Way to make a second monitor useless, Apple.

But no one is forcing you to use fullscreen mode???

"Forcing" - well no. But I want to use full screen in some circumstances.

Say for example, I'm replying to forum posts on one monitor, while having some video playing on the second. I want that video to be full screen on the monitor. In the old days, no problem.

Currently, any Apple apps, say Quicktime Player, when you hit full screen, blanks out the second monitor which is playing the video, and moves the video to my first monitor and goes full screen. Clearly, that is crap. So I have to use different video software. And that's just one instance.

it's really not hard to go to full screen on the current monitor the app is on, and maybe have a system preference (like there was in some Apple apps before the full screen feature moved to the OS) as to whether you want other monitors blanked or just left as they are.

But no one is forcing you to use fullscreen mode???

"Forcing" - well no. But I want to use full screen in some circumstances.

Say for example, I'm replying to forum posts on one monitor, while having some video playing on the second. I want that video to be full screen on the monitor. In the old days, no problem.

Currently, any Apple apps, say Quicktime Player, when you hit full screen, blanks out the second monitor which is playing the video, and moves the video to my first monitor and goes full screen. Clearly, that is crap. So I have to use different video software. And that's just one instance.

it's really not hard to go to full screen on the current monitor the app is on, and maybe have a system preference (like there was in some Apple apps before the full screen feature moved to the OS) as to whether you want other monitors blanked or just left as they are.

So instead of going full screen, max out the size of the particular window - it maxes out to the size of the content. The only thing it does not do is negate the ability to use other apps simultaneously, which is what you/we'd wanna do in that case anyhow....

But that is an issue with QuickTime?

It works fine with VLC.

In fact Apple could just implement the usual Command - F as a window fullscreen and Control - Command - F for App fullscreen in QuickTime.

So instead of going full screen, max out the size of the particular window - it maxes out to the size of the content. The only thing it does not do is negate the ability to use other apps simultaneously, which is what you/we'd wanna do in that case anyhow....

Um, seriously, I know how to resize windows. If I was happy with resizing windows as an optimal solution, I wouldn't complaining about full screen mode, now would I? Seeing as, to continue the one example, Quicktime Player cannot resize the window to any other aspect ratio that the video is playing, you basically end up with desktop areas above/below the video which is again, annoying, distracting, and sub-optimal.

Full screen mode is basically hideously broken on OSX when using more than one monitor, and no sub-optimal tolerate-it workarounds excuse that. Of course I'm already having to use workarounds, like not use Apple-based applications and find alternatives to them.

It seems that ML has made one concession, of being able to choose which monitor full screen goes to (is this a global system preference thing? Because sometimes I want apps to be full screen on one monitor and other apps full screen on another monitor).

Seriously, what was wrong with the old "I want this window, on this monitor, to be full screen, so I hit the window button, or tap a key command, and that window is made full screen"? That's it. It's not rocket science. Why did they have to break this?

Sorry, but it's ridiculous behaviour, and whoever thought out the design either botched it, or completely forgot that some people have more than one monitor, and it;'s a feature that OSX supports, generally, quite well...

But that is an issue with QuickTime?

It works fine with VLC.

It's an issue with all Apple apps that were updated to support the Lion full screen mode. So yes, Quicktime Player behaves like this. VLC, as a non-Apple app, uses the standard full screen method and works fine. And this is, indeed, one workaround for me, as I mentioned, having to find alternative applications in many cases. I do indeed have many different movie player apps, and all of them are difference, have different features, and it's annoying to be, essentially, forced out of using the apps I want to use because they support this (imo) broken behaviour which is damaging to my every day workflow.

Ah well, such is life. It's a minor annoyance that bugs me only maybe twenty times a day.

In fact Apple could just implement the usual Command - F as a window fullscreen and Control - Command - F for App fullscreen in QuickTime.

Yeah, maybe. I personally think the whole app-full-screen versus window-full-screen is made more complicated and more confusing that it needed to be...

I agree that it's not been optimally implemented, however, don't find it that big a deal to complain about. For instance, I like to keep both my calendar and email apps open on opposing screens, so I just have them maxed out on one desktop and swipe to that desktop when I need to use them. If I'm watching a movie on Netflix, I use their full screen mode & have other apps I'm working in on the other screen. Or watching a movie in iTunes or Quicktime, I open the movie in a separate window & max it out. Sure, depending on the aspect ratio of the movie I'm watching, I might see a little of the desktop below the bottom of the window. If it distracts me I'll make that particular desktop background solid black.

Again, not saying that Apple's got it implemented as well as it could be, but not that big a deal.

Again, not saying that Apple's got it implemented as well as it could be, but not that big a deal.

Good for you. It bugs the heck out of me constantly, as is what they did to Spaces in Lion.

As I said, it's not the end of the world, but it annoys me that something that worked fine for ages was changed and in a way that breaks useful functionality. I guess most consumers only use their laptops or iMacs suit can never bother them... however, some people actually do useful work on their machines, and want the ability to juggle their resources accordingly...

Anyway, mini-rant over... ;)

I only started using Spaces in Lion, took me a while to see it's usefulness I guess, not I'd be kinda hosed without 'em... That said, different strokes for different folks. I've never used much full screen before recently, always just sized to what I need. If I'd used the functionality and then had it messed with I imagine I'd be irked as well. For me, though, Lion and ML work great....

I am getting a message "auvaltool quit unexpectedly while using the (unknown Bundle) plug-in." This is on doing an AU scan in Logic 9.1.7 in Mountain Lion. The plugs that are crashing it most of the older URS plugs. I wonder what the chance is that Bobby Nathan will do an update. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Oh...also, the older Kensington trackball and software does not seem to be compatible.

I am getting a message "auvaltool quit unexpectedly while using the (unknown Bundle) plug-in." This is on doing an AU scan in Logic 9.1.7 in Mountain Lion. The plugs that are crashing it most of the older URS plugs. I wonder what the chance is that Bobby Nathan will do an update. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Oh...also, the older Kensington trackball and software does not seem to be compatible.

If you go to the plug-in manager upon start up of Logic, just click the Logic checkmark box and try to validate the plug-ins again. I had the same problem, and that's how I fixed mine.

I think I saw someone else talking about this before, but now I have it: the slow channel equalization, after quite a few adjustments.

(all this was typed via dictation, by the way)

Thanks for the reply. Tried it buy didn't work for me. Although you are able to force the box to become checked in the AU Manager the plugs still don't show up in the insert list and when launching Logic it warns you that you are using plugs that did not pass validation.

I had not updated to the new version of Ivory yet and it won't pass either. The only 2 URS plugs that passed were Strip Pro and Saturation.

Thanks

am basically loving ML, it's what lion should have been; fast, light, stable. so far... :roll:

just did 2 hours in logic. 32bit bridge crashed twice, but that happened as often in lion. otherwise...everything's working. logic is...logic. save and open windows look slightly different in ML...throws me off a bit! just something to get used to.

tomorrow, full day with L. will do one more report then...and give it (and all of you) a break! 8)

am hoping for LX; now that the new OS is here, a new logic would make the summer complete...

Thanks for the reply. Tried it buy didn't work for me. Although you are able to force the box to become checked in the AU Manager the plugs still don't show up in the insert list and when launching Logic it warns you that you are using plugs that did not pass validation.

I had not updated to the new version of Ivory yet and it won't pass either. The only 2 URS plugs that passed were Strip Pro and Saturation.

Thanks

Same here! Do it over, over, and over again, and it will work eventually!

All my third-party plug-ins seem to be working just as they did in Lion, as well

I had to do it over and over and over and over and over again with Amplitube 3, finally the validator didn't crash and it validated...

That's the spirit! Once before, I believe I did it around 30 times before it would work. That was in Lion, though. I don't remember what plug-in it was. It seems to be a 99% chance that will work.

Thanks

If you go to the plug-in manager upon start up of Logic, just click the Logic checkmark box and try to validate the plug-ins again. I had the same problem, and that's how I fixed mine.

I think I saw someone else talking about this before, but now I have it: the slow channel equalization, after quite a few adjustments.

(all this was typed via dictation, by the way)

Here we are :( there is definitely something wrong with graphics performance and Logic.

In addition the Logic non standard pop-up/window call it what you want, is a typical behavior when the prokit framework isn't fully compatible/optimized with...Maybe all this graphics performance problem is related to the prokit framework ? Which haven't been updated since the Lion release (i think).