Logic Pro 10.0.7 is out

Snapping midi events to their original position in piano roll is still unfixed! No way to turn it off!

It is impossible to drag midi events small amounts because they always snap to where they were before. As a workaround you have to first drag them too far, let go, and then drag again back where you want them.

I don´t know if some of you think it´s a good feature, but I can´t think of a situation where I would need it. I mean if I decide to move the event in the first place, isn´t it obvious that I want it anywhere but to the place where it was?? If I want it to be where it is, I don´t try to move it!! This feature should be called "automatic undo when fine tuning timing".

Other than that, nice update! :)

Hey, has anyone been experiencing this problem since the update?:

when I use the marquee tool to split a region, the rightmost region is usually highlighted and I can delete it right away with the backspace/delete key. Now if I press delete the region still remains. I have to click it again before pressing delete actually works.

Snapping midi events to their original position in piano roll is still unfixed! No way to turn it off!

It is impossible to drag midi events small amounts because they always snap to where they were before. As a workaround you have to first drag them too far, let go, and then drag again back where you want them.

I don´t know if some of you think it´s a good feature, but I can´t think of a situation where I would need it. I mean if I decide to move the event in the first place, isn´t it obvious that I want it anywhere but to the place where it was?? If I want it to be where it is, I don´t try to move it!! This feature should be called "automatic undo when fine tuning timing".

Other than that, nice update! :)

Hey Protone. Not sure what you mean by this. Snapping can be turned off momentarily by holding down ctrl while dragging or by disabling snap from the snap menu. You can also choose whether to snap to absolute values (beat/bar) or relative values (maintains the same relative position in ticks/samples as you drag from bar to bar).

Is this what you mean?

No, thats not what I mean. Even when the snapping is off or you hold ctrl, midi events snap to their orig. position if you try to drag them very close. It's like magnet... I can't explain it better than this with my non native english... :)

No, thats not what I mean. Even when the snapping is off or you hold ctrl, midi events snap to their orig. position if you try to drag them very close. It's like magnet... I can't explain it better than this with my non native english... :)

On my machine it works as advertised.

• If Snap to Grid is enabled, then moving a MIDI Event will snap to the Timing Grid
    Holding down the Control key while moving will temporarily disable Snap.

A few things.

• On my machine, when moving a MIDI Event (the note bar in the Piano Roll) will not snap to the original position. only to the Timing Grid (unless the original position is on a Timing Grid)
    The only way to get to the original position is to use duo or try to move the bar until the position in the black Halep Tag turns yellow. Yellow means "original" position or note.
    Make sure you are using the correct Snap menu. The Tracks Area and the Piano Roll Editor have their independent Snap Menu.

when I use the marquee tool to split a region, the rightmost region is usually highlighted and I can delete it right away with the backspace/delete key. Now if I press delete the region still remains. I have to click it again before pressing delete actually works.

That's the way it behaves here in 10.0.6 and 10.0.7...as well as 9.1.8.

Maybe you were using the scissors tool before? (it does what the marquee isn't doing).

J.

There's definitely a behavior change here, I get the same issue as lizcomposer where in 10.0.7, after double-clicking a region with the Marquee tool, the right region is selected, but pressing "Delete" simply deselect the region - rather than deleting it as it did in previous versions.

There's definitely a behavior change here, I get the same issue as lizcomposer where in 10.0.7, after double-clicking a region with the Marquee tool, the right region is selected, but pressing "Delete" simply deselect the region - rather than deleting it as it did in previous versions.

Oh, you guys a re double-clicking. I do it (and tested it) the other way: single click + delete key. No wonder I wasn't getting the same behavior. :roll:

Yeah, I get tat to here.

J.

If Snap to Grid is enabled, then moving a MIDI Event will snap to the Timing Grid

A few things.

On my machine, when moving a MIDI Event (the note bar in the Piano Roll) will not snap to the original position. only to the Timing Grid (unless the original position is on a Timing Grid)

The only way to get to the original position is to use duo or try to move the bar until the position in the black Halep Tag turns yellow. Yellow means "original" position or note.

Make sure you are using the correct Snap menu. The Tracks Area and the Piano Roll Editor have their independent Snap Menu.

What the …? Here it always snaps to the original position, no matter what settings I have, no matter if the original position is on a grid or not. Really, all you guys can drag a note just few ticks without problems??

Here is a blurry video that hopefully shows what I am talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbc7e427htul7sl/snap.MOV

I do not get the twoinking back either, things work as expected.

Just chiming in here, everybody keeps saying that holding control overrides snapping, but I consistently see the control key lowering the snapping value with 1 step, so: snap value at bar, control-dragging snaps to beats, snap value at beats, control-dragging snaps to division, etc, going down this row:

1515122774_pic2014-05-21at17_15_24.PNG.ec1829ecfb991e68748c5bdd937a310b.PNG

Although when at snap is at value Division, control-dragging actually snaps to multiples of 40 ticks (1/6 of a division) :?

(btw, when did they remove Samples from the snap options? In 10.0.7?)

There is not one but two modification for the snap behavior (the snap grid)

1) Without Modifier Key: The dragged object snaps to the grid set in the Snap popup menu. The Smart settings automatically adjusts the grid depending on the zoom level

2) With Modifier Key Control: The Snap Grid becomes finer as Eriksimon describes, it is not disabled. Only when set to Smart, then this modifier disables Snap

3) With Modifier Key Shift+Control: The Snap Grid is disabled completely regardless of the Snap settings

The Sample Value is still there, not in the Piano Roll Editor but in the Tracks Window. Same as in Logic 9.

Only when set to Smart, then this modifier disables Snap

Even when set to Smart, Control doesn't disable Snap, it just gives you a finer grid. Only Control-Shift completely disables Snap.

Technically you might be right and it would make sense. However, practically I don't see any difference when holding Control or shift+control when the Grid is set to Smart. When zoomed in, then the Smart grid is already so fine and when zoomed out, you cannot move it fine enough based on the limitation of the cursor movement (maybe with a mouse, but not with my Track Pad).

Technically you might be right and it would make sense. However, practically I don't see any difference when holding Control or shift+control when the Grid is set to Smart. When zoomed in, then the Smart grid is already so fine and when zoomed out, you cannot move it fine enough based on the limitation of the cursor movement (maybe with a mouse, but not with my Track Pad).

Were you talking specifically about notes in the Piano Roll? If yes, I missed that....

But with regions in the workspace, Control-shift breaks the relationship position of the cursor <-> position of the region being moved, so you need wider movements of the mouse to result in smaller movements of the region. I can be completely zoomed out, looking at an entire 200 bar arrangement on this 20" screen here, and comfortably move my regions by tick increments when holding Control-Shift.

It would make sense to have notes in the Piano Roll behave the same as regions do in the workspace.

I have also observed this issue, and it is the main reason I've been continuing to use LP9. After some toiling, it appears that Control-Shift does eliminate the snapping, but you have to click and HOLD on the note BEFORE pressing Control-Shift.

If I hit the modifiers, THEN clicked on the note, the note still snapped. In some cases, when pressing Control-Shift before clicking the note, the note did not respond at all to my mouse movements, which could be a flaw in the new design.

This is definitely something that should be improved. It was working much better in LP9. Can anyone confirm this behavior?

Thanks istation! Finally someone to confirm this behavior! So I´m not crazy after all! :shock:

Funny, I think I have tried all key combinations, but not in that order. I work in PT too, and there you always have to press + hold keys before mouse buttons… Anyway, good to know how to make it not snap. Still don´t get why it snaps with all the other key combinations, since there is no point snapping to original position, EVER!

Maybe you were using the scissors tool before? (it does what the marquee isn't doing).

J.

I discovered this too, but when I turn off automation it works as before. I guess it has to do with the new feature of moving/copy automation.

No problem! I should mention that, strangely, clicking and holding the note in the Piano Roll before hitting Control-Shift STILL snaps back toward the original position after moving it back and forth a bit! So at first, it gives you the freedom to move without the "magnet" effect, but if Logic thinks you're hesitating on the move, it creates a "detent" where it will snap back. It's almost like the "magnet' gets charged up again after a while, and you have to deselect and click on the note one more time to again move the note freely!

Now GET THIS - my original note was at 237 ticks, and it was consistently snapping to 238! So, inexplicably, it's not exactly the original position. Is 238 a tick "multiple" on the grid? Maybe that's why?

Would love to know what others are observing. I think this really needs to be fixed!

No problem! I should mention that, strangely, clicking and holding the note in the Piano Roll before hitting Control-Shift STILL snaps back toward the original position after moving it back and forth a bit! So at first, it gives you the freedom to move without the "magnet" effect, but if Logic thinks you're hesitating on the move, it creates a "detent" where it will snap back. It's almost like the "magnet' gets charged up again after a while, and you have to deselect and click on the note one more time to again move the note freely!

Now GET THIS - my original note was at 237 ticks, and it was consistently snapping to 238! So, inexplicably, it's not exactly the original position. Is 238 a tick "multiple" on the grid? Maybe that's why?

Would love to know what others are observing. I think this really needs to be fixed!

Are you referring to what appears in the Event Editor?

If Snap to Grid is enabled, then moving a MIDI Event will snap to the Timing Grid

A few things.

On my machine, when moving a MIDI Event (the note bar in the Piano Roll) will not snap to the original position. only to the Timing Grid (unless the original position is on a Timing Grid)

What the …? Here it always snaps to the original position, no matter what settings I have, no matter if the original position is on a grid or not. Really, all you guys can drag a note just few ticks without problems??

Here is a blurry video that hopefully shows what I am talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbc7e427htul7sl/snap.MOV

Could there be some quantization effect at play here?

same here as well. This was one of the first annoyances I encountered when trying out LPX - well before 10.0.7. seems to be related to Preferences/General/Editing - Limit dragging to one direction in: Piano Roll and Score. when I have this checked, the unwanted snapping behavior occurs, no matter how the Snap menu is set.

a related bug (or new feature??) is that it is no longer possible to move notes by ticks when holding down CTRL-SHIFT when not fully zoomed in. that was possible in LP9 and it was great. it still works with regions in the Arrange (Main Window)

To everybody,

This thread is a general 10.0.7 update announcement. It is not meant to report new issues with 10.0.7 nor to discuss various behavior changes in detail. In fact in general it's quite inefficient to bundle multiple unrelated discussions in a single thread, where no one can easily see or search them.

Please start new threads for each one of your issues, and post them in the Logic Pro X forum: one topic per thread, with a descriptive thread title for each topic, so we can keep questions/issues separate, organized, labeled, easy to browse, easy to index by search engine, etc... I will close this thread later.

Thank you!