Logic Pro X - 10.2 is out

B_Stone

Are all of the patches from pre-Apple Alchemy there, or have they been revamped for Logic? Just downloading the Alchemy content now.... 14.1 GB........ Guess I'll be up for a while.... :lol:

Is there a way to monitor the Alchemy content download? I don't see any "downloading" indicator or window. If I try to quit Logic I'm asked if I want to cancel the download, so presumably it's in progress.

I'm getting a 'Downloading Additional Content' progress bar..... est time: 2 hours...... Ooh, this is gonna be fun! I tried the Alchemy demo, but held off buying it, waiting for a 1/2 price sale. Then Apple bought it, and so lost my opportunity. There's a lot I won't use, but there's a lot I will. I just hope it doesn't wreak havoc with my CPU.

It is becoming pretty apparent that the focus is now almost wholly on attracting EDM and GarageBand updaters. I understand the choices based on demographics, potential Mac buyers, etc. but as a more traditional composer/musician, I would be lying if I said that is where I wished the focus would be.

Agreed. This are all nifty updates but it really does nothing for me. I record and mix real instruments 95% of the time and mostly love logic X for that kind of work. I don't need all the EDM stuff. I still wish they would bring back the copy and paste audio config in the mixer. Simple tools like that make my life easier.

Is there a way to have to 18 gig alchemy lib on a diff drive???

Great update but like someone else said::::I am a more traditional type of composer so I wish in the next update they won't forgive us, not that I don't like EDM :P

gprok

Edited by gprok

odd, they went for a flat design with alchemy, while Compressor redesign is completely over-the-top.

super excited though! Hope they pull-out some of the alchemy effects as insert plugins for other uses.

Any other plugin got a redesign? :(

edit:

funny though,

http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/plugins-and-sounds/

sculpture actually has a retina screenshot. :-)

as does space designer

Edited by Ploki

Thanks, Chris. That answers my question from earlier today, I think... So you think the Logic version will run the third partly libs OK?

No, don't believe Logic's Alchemy will run the old libs. Still waiting for the additional contend to download, but my guess is that everything will be there, but more than likely re-named. I'll report back if I'm wrong. :)

However, the old install of Alchemy is still a separate plugin and available with all prior installed libraries, so backward compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps,

Just heard from Simon Stockhausen, who has composed many libs for Alchemy. He says his libs are working fine in the new Alchemy! So I guess my questions are alllll answered...

All extra content is now installed and I was indeed wrong. All old patches and libraries show up under 'legacy content'.

Edited by chellstrom

No, instead of that B, I have a "power button" to toggle snapping on/off.

Great add on.

edit: just taking this opportunity to bitch again about no retina support in a newly designed interface.

edit2: come to think of it, Alchemy 2.0 was probably designed prior apples acquisition.

Hope it will get retina updated, have to say its fun to play with it

[Hi have this stuff in place : B... ( ?)

Argh! :shock:

Ok, I must confess : Just before launching, I have replaced the P-list file for custom grey light color :oops:

And trashed the unwanted languages ( French, Spanish etc ... )

Nasty me ...

But took them in a safe place , just in case ...

Regarding Alchemy, which I already have installed: Will the Logic upgrade install all new soundsource etc. files, or will it reference the files I already have if I point it in the right direction? Also, can I use third-party Alchemy libraries in the Logic version of the app, or do I need to continue using my former Camel Audio version of Alchemy for that? Thanks!

It appears to leave your old Camel Audio sound libraries intact and installs completely new files in a new location. You can see the old libraries by using the library browser's sound library column header and choosing to see legacy content. You can't see to use legacy and new content at the same time. I suppose that makes sense.

I also just read that some 1.5 Alchemy sounds may sound different in the new Alchemy. So far, it al sounds spectacular!

Thanks, Chris. That answers my question from earlier today, I think... So you think the Logic version will run the third partly libs OK?

No, don't believe Logic's Alchemy will run the old libs. Still waiting for the additional contend to download, but my guess is that everything will be there, but more than likely re-named. I'll report back if I'm wrong. :)

However, the old install of Alchemy is still a separate plugin and available with all prior installed libraries, so backward compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps,

Correction — they do work. I spotted it in the KB article about the new features in Alchemy.

In the keyword browser, select Sound Library in one of the last two column headers. In there, you can select to display Legacy presets.