Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

I had(have) 3 major issues with this update:

1. Missing loops/presets. I tried reorganising everything on an external SSD, and made a symbolic link. This works after a fashion, but I'm still missing stuff. If I try to use the updater, it says it want to install 30 GB's, while I'm only missing a few items. Plus, I'm not sure the installer will not try to install to my boot disk... I've had Logic since day 1, and my library has become a mess, with stuff related to GB and Logic...

2. Issues with plug ins. Quite a few show up twice(they are completey the same afaik) in the plug in amanager, they fail or get scanned everytime I launch LPX. Had to cull them by hand, and it's better now. I am a vigilant updater, so it's not a case of obsolescence.

3. Issues with old projects that will load fine at first, but will crash on load after I've done some editing/insterted more plug ins and saved. When I try to import the tracks in a new project, Logic complains that I'm trying to do to much and nothing happens.

Messy update for this old user. Not happy at all.

Zip

Hi Zip, sorry to hear. Feel free to start a new thread in the forum, one for each topic you wish to discuss, to see if we can help you troubleshoot those issues.

Thanks, David. My main point is, not happy with Apple moving forward(with this update as an excuse to vent) . Old projects crumble... Stuff gets moved without cleaning up... Integration with 3rd party plug ins is less than ideal...

Probably not an issue for the newcomer with an iMac with 1 disk for everything, but showstoppers for the old users with projects dating back 20 years and more elaborate/professional systems.

Best,

Zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have searched and found people with this issue some time age but since the 10.4.1 update I have had ongoing issues. when I play a project a track and not always the same track gets put into solo! I have tried deleting the preferences but that doesn't work.

Any ideas, it makes this pretty annoying and the program useless.

Regards

Richard

logic pro 10.4.1

OSX 10.12.6

SCALETT 8i8 interface

@rin, your footer says you're still on Sierra (10.12). You might try upgrading to High Sierra. My impression was there's some close interaction between the latest OS X and LPX 10.4.x...

May I ask what gives you this impression?

I'm intrigued by the idea given some issues I've been having on 10.4.1 / Sierra.

I just hear so many people saying so many contradictory things that even when I come across something I want to believe, I still find it hard to without evidence.

@danielsykes - Check out the post by @andysocial on this Apple forums thread: https://discussions.apple.com/message/33010334?ac_cid=tw123456#33010334. It checks out with my own analysis of the challenges that accompanied the simultaneous upgrade from 10.3->10.4, and Sierra to High Sierra.

To summarize, looks like LPX 10.4 + Sierra works ok, but LPX 10.4 + High Sierra had problems, for me and others. LPX 10.4.1 addressed my issues, and release notes indicated they would. But it wouldn't surprise me if 10.4.1 didn't play nice with Sierra...

@rin, your footer says you're still on Sierra (10.12). You might try upgrading to High Sierra. My impression was there's some close interaction between the latest OS X and LPX 10.4.x...

I'm intrigued by the idea given some issues I've been having on 10.4.1 / Sierra.

I just hear so many people saying so many contradictory things that even when I come across something I want to believe, I still find it hard to without evidence.

and that's the point; we don't all have the same experiences.& that's logical (pun intended), considering we use different macs, different drives... different interfaces, setups... 3rd-party plugins. so it's not reasonable for anyone to make absolute statements.

for me, 10.13.4 & LX 10.4.1 is pretty great; logic has some quirks... but they're not new to this OS. your mileage may vary....

@danielsykes - Check out the post by @andysocial on this Apple forums thread: https://discussions.apple.com/message/33010334?ac_cid=tw123456#33010334. It checks out with my own analysis of the challenges that accompanied the simultaneous upgrade from 10.3->10.4, and Sierra to High Sierra.

To summarize, looks like LPX 10.4 + Sierra works ok, but LPX 10.4 + High Sierra had problems, for me and others. LPX 10.4.1 addressed my issues, and release notes indicated they would. But it wouldn't surprise me if 10.4.1 didn't play nice with Sierra...

Thanks, I'll check that out.

and that's the point; we don't all have the same experiences.& that's logical (pun intended), considering we use different macs, different drives... different interfaces, setups... 3rd-party plugins. so it's not reasonable for anyone to make absolute statements.

for me, 10.13.4 & LX 10.4.1 is pretty great; logic has some quirks... but they're not new to this OS. your mileage may vary....

True. But unfortunately anecdotal evidence is often one of the only guide posts on the potentially perilous upgrade journey. I of course take everything with a grain of salt, but I try my best to gather as much info as possible before taking any leaps.

True. But unfortunately anecdotal evidence is often one of the only guide posts on the potentially perilous upgrade journey. I of course take everything with a grain of salt, but I try my best to gather as much info as possible before taking any leaps.

sure. but the fact is, you will never know until you get there. no list of 'facts', not even statements from someone with the same mac as you, can guarantee anything. if you want to move forward safely, get carbon copy cloner (for example) and an empty external drive.... clone your mac, then update (or some similar process).

but no matter what, the OS will keep moving forward... as will logic, until you reach the critical moment when you have to update one... to accomodate the other.

It's really lovely how non-deterministic COMPUTERS are... It's especially egregious with iOS devices, where text boxes in Safari have increasingly annoying and inconsistent behaviors (such as single tapping being useless in this quick reply box on iOS 10.3.x, utterly breaking autocorrect half the time).

Anyway, I'm on Sierra and not planning to change that on my two machines. I need the redundancy of two machines. Apple's push to upgrade OS and device has gone from tolerable to intolerable. Their Wall Street obsessed leadership seems unconsciously intent on burning every bit of love they rightly earned between 2007 and 2013.

Logic X 10.4 was fine on my Sierra machines. Post update to 10.4.1, I have been seeing weird soloing behavior (trying to solo one track solos others). It's inconsistent. The same tracks will have correct behavior later. This might be some new feature that's not clearly specified or it might be a bug. Haven't figured it out yet.

It's really lovely how non-deterministic COMPUTERS are... It's especially egregious with iOS devices, where text boxes in Safari have increasingly annoying and inconsistent behaviors (such as single tapping being useless in this quick reply box on iOS 10.3.x, utterly breaking autocorrect half the time).

Anyway, I'm on Sierra and not planning to change that on my two machines. I need the redundancy of two machines. Apple's push to upgrade OS and device has gone from tolerable to intolerable. Their Wall Street obsessed leadership seems unconsciously intent on burning every bit of love they rightly earned between 2007 and 2013.

Logic X 10.4 was fine on my Sierra machines. Post update to 10.4.1, I have been seeing weird soloing behavior (trying to solo one track solos others). It's inconsistent. The same tracks will have correct behavior later. This might be some new feature that's not clearly specified or it might be a bug. Haven't figured it out yet.

sounds like a problem to sort out, not representative of the OS, or 10.4.1 in general. start a thread here, ask for help... some of the best logic heads live on this forum.

everyone should get their work done with a minimum of issues, whatever OS or LX version they use; here, 10.4.1 on OS 10.13.4 is pretty great.

Still no translucent regions so the grid stays visible...

was that something promised? or just something you were hoping for...

Hi.

Nothing promised. Submitted several times not just by me and should be easy peasy to implement as once you mute a track any region it contains becomes... translucent! 8-)

Since upgrading to 10.4.1 none of my Staff Styles export properly into Finale or Sibelius when i export a midi region as music xml. Word perfectly well in 10.3.3. I use this export feature everyday. Could anyone shed some light on this subject or let us know if theres a work around asap.

Nothing promised. Submitted several times not just by me and should be easy peasy to implement as once you mute a track any region it contains becomes... translucent! 8-)

It's still pretty incredible to me that we still can't see the grid through the regions... or the regions through the grid. This should definitely be user adjustable.

was that something promised? or just something you were hoping for...

Hi.

it's a great & 'logical' idea, hope we see it happen...

(trying to solo one track solos others). It's inconsistent. The same tracks will have correct behavior later. This might be some new feature that's not clearly specified or it might be a bug. Haven't figured it out yet.

Group perhaps?

No, not groups. At least not in the mixer, like I'm familiar with them. It turned out to be tracks were multi-selected as a result of selecting multiple clips for duplication or moving and this results in soloing being committed to each selected track. It's definitely a feature but it didn't catch my attention until 10.4.1.

Group perhaps?

No, not groups. At least not in the mixer, like I'm familiar with them. It turned out to be tracks were multi-selected as a result of selecting multiple clips for duplication or moving and this results in soloing being committed to each selected track. It's definitely a feature but it didn't catch my attention until 10.4.1.

Thanx for your feedback!

tracks were multi-selected as a result of selecting multiple clips for duplication or moving

To toggle that new feature, choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > General > Editing and toggle "Select tracks on region selection."

Actually, I like that feature, just not the group behavior.

It appears ‘quicklook’ is working again in 10.4.1.

It’s been on and off for a long time but seems to be OK now.

I think it was one of ‘fisherkings’ pet peeves for a while ?

The .logicx files in the Finder display as they should.

Seems to work here.

It appears ‘quicklook’ is working again in 10.4.1.

It’s been on and off for a long time but seems to be OK now.

I think it was one of ‘fisherkings’ pet peeves for a while ?

The .logicx files in the Finder display as they should.

Seems to work here.

ha! i've long since given up on that. currently (for me), it DOES show correctly in column view (if i use the up/down arrow keys to scroll thru files), but if i hit the space bar for ar image, it works... every 4 or 5 files or so (it continues to show the same file, then, at some point, finally previews the currently-selected one). so yes, still a 'pet peeve'....