Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

Oh I am liking the Logic Remote and how it interacts with LPX.

Especially the Smart Help feature.

When you mouse over anything on the main screen the ipad goes to that section in the help overview.

A great feature – but not new in 10.4.

I know, but I finally upgraded from LP9.

There were a few 'new' features in this version that caught my attention.

Seems like a logical place to start for those itching to have 10.4 but are on unsupported machines, like myself on an early 2008 MacPro El Capitan... further investigation warranted, I'm gonna give it a shot..

If you can get Sierra then by all means 10.4 is within reach ?

Same position as you, i'm gonna try it once i find my memory stick, i can only find a 4gb one at the moment. Maybe create a new thread if you try it and i'll add my experiences too when i try - it could be of help to other people.

One suspects my biggest problem will be the vastly outdated HD 2600 XT GFX card installed on mine, it's something i've never upgraded as it's pretty much an audio only machine. I did try it on my 2012 MBP and the 10.4 update is definitely worth trying the update in my opinion, even if just for the improved/new plugins - let alone the core features added.

Darudevil posted earlier on this thread, and has been running Sierra on his 2009 (4.1) without any significant issues, and i've spoken to a few friends who've also done the 'hack' and also had pleasing results, but they're all on 4.1 (2009) machines - so please, if you do step forward create a thread for me to follow, failing that i'll be making one within the next day or two when i find a stick and few hours to spare!

Seems like a logical place to start for those itching to have 10.4 but are on unsupported machines, like myself on an early 2008 MacPro El Capitan... further investigation warranted, I'm gonna give it a shot..

Same position as you, i'm gonna try it once i find my memory stick, i can only find a 4gb one at the moment. Maybe create a new thread if you try it and i'll add my experiences too when i try - it could be of help to other people.

One suspects my biggest problem will be the vastly outdated HD 2600 XT GFX card installed on mine, it's something i've never upgraded as it's pretty much an audio only machine. I did try it on my 2012 MBP and the 10.4 update is definitely worth trying the update in my opinion, even if just for the improved/new plugins - let alone the core features added.

Darudevil posted earlier on this thread, and has been running Sierra on his 2009 (4.1) without any significant issues, and i've spoken to a few friends who've also done the 'hack' and also had pleasing results, but they're all on 4.1 (2009) machines - so please, if you do step forward create a thread for me to follow, failing that i'll be making one within the next day or two when i find a stick and few hours to spare!

Hi ! Yes it's going to be a long and winding road for me personally, I've got an unsupported graphics card as well, to have four outputs on four separate monitors, it's tricky and I miss the mac boot screen, have to wait for the startup which can be hit or miss, many restarts and thumb crossing, add to that the unsupported Os and things get even trickier, but what have I to lose, only time and hair, the latter is a complete loss pretty much. So I'm going for it, I'll post my findings and workarounds, experience etc in a new thread , or onto yours which ever comes first, not a lot of time off until the upcoming weekend, so it's gonna be a process, best of luck !

Mac Pro Early 2008 El Capitan so no go for Logic Pro x 10.4 .... buuuuuuuuuuuuut....

Has anyone here tried the Sierra Patch for unsupported Macs?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7587166

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-12-sierra-unsupported-macs-thread.1977128/

i have a different machine from yours. i did use patches to install Sierra on my officially unsupported MacBook Pro 5,5, but only because i didn't need to replace my WiFi module. SOME but not all of the unsupported machines will lose WiFi with Sierra. Be sure to check the information very closely on the patch page http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html to see if your machine will or will not need the WiFi module replaced.

i have Logic 10.4 installed (normally, from the Mac App Store). It runs and has played one of my projects that i imported. i'm not sure yet about performance or stability.

As far as Sierra goes, regarding performance, i am noticing a lot of CPU time being used by kernel_task. While i've read about potential solutions to this, i'm not yet sure it is warranted or even relevant, and i'm not sure if the fix will cause me different (possibly worse) problems.

i still have Snow Leopard on the primary volume, so, worst case scenario, i just keep using Snow Leopard and Logic 9.x on that machine while i'm using Logic X on my iMac.

Mac Pro Early 2008 El Capitan so no go for Logic Pro x 10.4 .... buuuuuuuuuuuuut....

Has anyone here tried the Sierra Patch for unsupported Macs?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7587166

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-12-sierra-unsupported-macs-thread.1977128/

I would like to try this. I'm on an early 2008 Mac Pro as well. I did replace the graphics card at some point due to the original one crapping out. I'm not sure what it is or if it's supported in Sierra. I'm curious how you guys get on and will follow this thread. Please post your results and any advise.

Thanks -

as a complete accidental discovery, 10.4 has given me back instantaneous undo like i had in LP9. not sure if it was the same for everyone, but for me, when i went to LPX i had to start waiting a second or two before i could hit undo and it would catch it, now its back to instant, i hit stop and undo and its done. no more waiting to hit undo. after all these years i still have the habit to quickly hit undo and it would never take, now its back to the good ol days:-)

Indeed very cool. It appears that the step length is tied to zoom i.e. if you want a narrower step length you have to zoom in more - this will take some getting used to - I wonder if there's another way?

Use the "Snap -> Snap Automation" menu at the top of the Tracks Area for setting a fixed step width.

That's great! Thanks a lot for sharing that tip. :D

Just noticed that if you use the new Smart tempo function on an audio file and then want to remove the tempo changes by making a new tempo set, the audio immediately follows the new fixed tempo. You don't have to write the tempo information to the audiofile(s) first, like it used to be (or maybe still is) with Beat Mapping.

I also noticed that Smart tempo doesn't like Shuffle. The tempo information doesn't move with the audio then.

All-in-all, smart tempo rocks!

Mark

Spent all day recoding Multi(4) track drums... the auto tempo setting sliced the drums and automatically made minor adjustments... I’m wondering if there is a way to set the strength of the Q? Fancy found that button...

The Vintage EQ work effortlessly on acoustic instruments. And go really well with Logic Compressors/that I think are better than any of my 3rd Party Compressor plugs...

The new verb looks cool....

But the virtual strings and horns are a joke, they sound like crap...

Mellotron sounds legit, but I will take my Omnisphere Mellotron any day ....

When is an updated Exs. Coming that rivals ableton live simpler/sampler, not to mention Kontakt.... Exs is rad for some things, but basic Auto Sampler tech has yet to by included.

Did anyone notice that every change to any of the new vintage EQ models reacts with latency?

Going from bypass to active almost sound like a cross fade!

Is this a bug? a feature? And Ideas?

Given that there is wha looks like a Pultec impulse response (Pultec.nlIR, 18.7MB) in the MADSP app framework bundle (as well as others), it's likely the the new vintage EQ's are based on convolution models, which is why they don't react instantly...

Not quite.

The Output stage that you route the active EQ through is convolved with the EQ model.

Any Output stage can be used with any of the vintage EQs.

Step and Phat FX are both really great additions.

Phat FX is cool, and convenient that it's all in one place, but similar results could be achieved with other Logic plugs.

StepFX is, however, awesome for what it can do.

The 3 step modulators can be offset, of different lengths, different rhythmic patterns, a.s.o. - so crazy polyrhythms are possible with any source.

Run some simple quarter/8th/16th note synth line patterns through it to create instant Tangerine Dream tracks, or 4/4 drum loops can be turned into something altogether different.

It's my fave inclusion amongst the new plugs.

The Vintage EQs and Mellotron are also very useful new tools, as is Chromaverb.

I still don't have any presets for phat fx, step fx, any of the vintage eq or chroma verb. I downloaded the reverb update in the sample library manager thinking that it would solve chroma verb but no luck. Anyone else have this problem?

I don't like the sample library manager as it is right now. It's hard to know what is on your system and what needs to be downloaded. For instance, the alchemy section is a 15gb download. I'm confident that I already have everything but visions downloaded (from awhile ago yet this stuff doesn't show one way or the other wether you are up to date until you re-download something. Alchemy says incomplete but it doesn't point to what is incomplete in the library. I know I don't have visions yet but holy hell man, their stock library is really growing and if they keep going this way, it's going to be hard to know what you have and down't have without wasting a lot of time.

I would like to try this. I'm on an early 2008 Mac Pro as well. I did replace the graphics card at some point due to the original one crapping out. I'm not sure what it is or if it's supported in Sierra. I'm curious how you guys get on and will follow this thread. Please post your results and any advise.

Thanks

It works ! I've installed Sierra 10.12.6 as well as Logic 10.4 on my early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with little or relatively no worries.

1992229385_Sierra10_12.6install.thumb.jpg.a759ef0a0d7893bbe8ca5159be191082.jpg

I followed the advice from http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html which has all the information I required. I have an unsupported graphics card , so for ease of install I replaced that with the original graphics card to make installing easier, being able to see the boot process screens. I made the bootable usb drive according to the directions on dosdude1's page.

I booted to that drive with the restart - hold option key down - choose startup drive, installed Sierra to my SSD, then upon restart performed the post install patch and voila, the next restart was a healthy Sierra OS. Opening Logic and scanning the 540 Audio Units took a while, all good. I haven't thoroughly pushed it to the max, but I've opened up quite a few projects and everything seems to work like normal. I was crying the blues on saturday past after realizing I was left in the cold, but now I'm doing the happy dance ! Can't wait to dig into the new features ! Whoo hoo !!

It works ! I've installed Sierra 10.12.6 as well as Logic 10.4 on my early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with little or relatively no worries.

Fantastic news! Wonder what it would run like with the 2600XT GPU, as that's what i'm going to be trying haha. I presume you put the 7xxx series back in when trying Logic?

Also, presuming you lost WiFi, do you know if the bluetooth still operates?

I really appreciate you posting back on this so thanks a ton! I hope it runs well for you.

At first glance, these strings are lame.... but after going deep... the functionality of the insrument is really amazing. Right click on an individual midi note and change the articulation on that note...

I have to agree. The new features are great but these strings are not going to replace anything I have anytime soon.

I definitely want to explore this more, after working with them for a few hours last night, I was able to make them sound, not like box of string samples and more retaliating than I thought possible at first....

I'd be interested in knowing what you did. I also was severely underwhelmed by the samples, although the articulation technology is beautiful. I kinda gave up when I found the vibrato was not much more than a standard synth sine wave vibrato . .

Fantastic news! Wonder what it would run like with the 2600XT GPU, as that's what i'm going to be trying haha. I presume you put the 7xxx series back in when trying Logic?

Also, presuming you lost WiFi, do you know if the bluetooth still operates?

I really appreciate you posting back on this so thanks a ton! I hope it runs well for you.

Hi ! My pleasure, hope this helps. Actually the 2600XT GPU is the supported original GPU I got this MAc Pro with, but as it isn't compatible with FCPX, I purchased a Radeon 7XXX whatever that is with @ Gb of memory , it has more outputs as well, I'm using four monitors, a bit overkill but it's working. 1- tracks 2 - mixer 3 - piano roll 4 Kontakt and or SSD4.

I had put the 2600 XT back in for install and trying Logic, it supports the boot screen and is comforting when working through installs.

After that all worked the last caveat was getting the GPU back in and working. That turned out good to so I'm back in business and so far everything is as good as it ever was, to this point. I don't use WiFi and blue tooth IS working as I use a trackpad as well as a Kensington trackball for editing, apple keyboard in the middle.

No complaints yet, I've just performed the Symlink deal to locate the logic content on another internal drive as Eric Cardenas outlined in a previous post, that's great. I'll have more time later this week to put it to the test, but at this point it doesn't seem any different than El Cap, feel wise, I'm wondering how to order Siri around as I use a digital mixer, I'll have to work up a talk back mic I guess.

hey .... just looking into the update and for some reason i don't see the colourful spectral display on my chroma ... :-( ....anyone else having this issue ?

This has already been discussed several times in this thread, within this forum and at this point you could even Google it..