Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

I'm not sure anyone was pretending their opinions or recommendations were fact. They are what they are, and anyone's advice can be followed, noted, or ignored by anyone... I'm not sure why you have got so bent out of shape by it... :shrugs:

all good, but.. some people do state their opinions as fact, or worse, tell us that "people don't like this" or "most people are having the same issue i have"... without any evidence to support that (or, 'six people on a web forum agree with me').

is HS a work in progress? final versions of OS's are still a work-in-progress. there is always a point update in the works.

really, though, i just want everyone to be happy, and to enjoy their music-making experiences, regardless of OS versions, or logic versions, or hardware. 8-)

Indeed very cool. It appears that the step length is tied to zoom i.e. if you want a narrower step length you have to zoom in more - this will take some getting used to - I wonder if there's another way?

Use the "Snap -> Snap Automation" menu at the top of the Tracks Area for setting a fixed step width.

Perfect - thanks!

I gotta say, this update is pretty amazing. Step and Phat FX are both really great additions to the toolbox, the Vintage EQs really sound much nicer than they should for packed-in EQs, and the Auto Tempo is going to be a big time saver for laying down tracks.

I get that people are pissed about the OS requirement -- my main music rig is still a 2008 Mac Pro stuck on El Cap -- but I think people are taking for granted that this update is completely free. I remember the days of buying each Logic version for hundreds of dollars. When is the last time you had to pay for an update to Logic? You could effectively buy a new Mac with the money Apple has saved us.

There was a time when we didn't even know if Apple would continue to support Logic. Now people are complaining their eight year-old Mac won't run the latest greatest FREE update to Logic. We should feel lucky that Apple is still this dedicated to a pro audio tool like this; they could dump it and it wouldn't hurt their bottom line at all. But instead of just being in maintenance mode, Logic's progress is more vibrant than ever. I don't see how there can really be any room for complaining. The update is seriously impressive and the future of Logic Pro looks really bright.

This:-

I think people are taking for granted that this update is completely free. I remember the days of buying each Logic version for hundreds of dollars.

And This:-

There was a time when we didn't even know if Apple would continue to support Logic. Now people are complaining their eight year-old Mac won't run the latest greatest FREE update to Logic.

....are spot on! What a great post petsounds.

Either way Apple can't win, if you're NOT harnessing new tech and creating an enjoyable, stabile environment for users you'll get attacked by new owners who will be expecting this things, and also bashed from the competition for remaining stagnant. Yet, if you ARE providing those benefits, then the dinosaurs (Inc me!) complain that old machines are being forgotten, or it's some kind of conspiracy. It's formed from jealousy really (I know, as i'm going through it myself at the moment!).

At the end of the day, the machine i bought near 10 years ago is doing stuff i never thought it would today, likewise LPX has evolved incredibly since i upgraded and it all works flawlessly.

Would i be happy if Apple recommended that i put Sierra on it, and tried to run 10.4 and then it ran like crap? No way!

I'm much happier to have the line drawn and knowing the limits from their recommendations. I have gone through 4 PC's in the same time that my Mac Pro has existed, and none of them have put between 8-12 hours a day in like my Mac. It's been absolutely bulletproof and i have no reason to think it couldn't do another 5+ years in it's stride.

Like most users on these older workhorses, the biggest question is what an earth to i upgrade 'to', that's my over-riding concern.

This:-
I think people are taking for granted that this update is completely free. I remember the days of buying each Logic version for hundreds of dollars.

And This:-

There was a time when we didn't even know if Apple would continue to support Logic. Now people are complaining their eight year-old Mac won't run the latest greatest FREE update to Logic.

....are spot on! What a great post petsounds.

Agree 100 %

Like most users on these older workhorses, the biggest question is what an earth to i upgrade 'to', that's my over-riding concern.

I don’t want to steer this topic too far afield, but here is my thought. The iMac Pro seems to be slated toward Video and VR production. So I’m guessing/hoping the new MP will be more focused on Audio(?) And since Apple has showed us that Logic is not an afterthought after all, seems like Apple would also have a Mac geared towards audio? Maybe? Going to be very interesting to see the new MP later this year.

Ok, back to 10.4. So excited to update, but being in The middle of a big project to deliver in a couple weeks, I have to wait.

Just so I'm understanding the new Articulation functionality: 1) you select notes in the Piano Roll and then assign the articulations via the Articulation menu below the Scale Quantize menu? 2) Keyswitches using a MIDI controller? If this is the case, I was hoping for something like the AG Toolkit where I can draw in articulations directly in the Automation lane... or is there something like that hidden somewhere?

Nope Apple has, wisely in my view, not gone the Automation lane route.

It looks like multi instrument in the environment is different now. rather than having a single multi in the environment with a bank of 16 to uncheck, you now need to create a new instrument for each voice. If that is untrue, please let me know.

That is untrue: just choose New > Multi-Instrument as in previous versions.

If that is untrue, please let me know.

I'm letting you know. :)

:mrgreen:

Well, I finally took the plunge and committed to Sierra, so I could enjoy LPX 10.4 and even though it was a whole day chore here (full clone backup to an External and tried it there for a while) I am glad I did it. I stayed away from Sierra for a long time because of that new iCloud business, and I don’t really need Seri either, but it’s not so bad and once all the Spotlight indexing gets done, It should be even better.

I have only started exploring, but the new Strings W/Articulations are truley amazing.

At first I was getting some crackling and static but after realizing Time Machine was cranking away and stoped it, everything cleared up.

I am almost done with downloading all the new content but I am sure it will be worth it.

Thanks to Apple.

Did anyone notice that every change to any of the new vintage EQ models reacts with latency?

Going from bypass to active almost sound like a cross fade!

Is this a bug? a feature? And Ideas?

Given that there is wha looks like a Pultec impulse response (Pultec.nlIR, 18.7MB) in the MADSP app framework bundle (as well as others), it's likely the the new vintage EQ's are based on convolution models, which is why they don't react instantly...

Hi, I'm new to this forum, please accept my apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place but I did a search and couldn't find any particularly relevant place to post this. I have just upgraded to 10.4 and am on High Sierra with latest updates, I have a Mac 6,1 6 core machine. I have an Icon Platform M+ which was working fine under Sierra but since the update Logic doesn't seem to want to connect to it. In the control surfaces window there is an orange exclamation mark in the top right side of the logo/picture of the control surface (Mackie Control protocol) Has anyone got any ideas how to fix this or could you send me in the right direction? Many thanks.

Mac Pro Early 2008 El Capitan so no go for Logic Pro x 10.4 .... buuuuuuuuuuuuut....

Has anyone here tried the Sierra Patch for unsupported Macs?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7587166

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-12-sierra-unsupported-macs-thread.1977128/

Seems like a logical place to start for those itching to have 10.4 but are on unsupported machines, like myself on an early 2008 MacPro El Capitan... further investigation warranted, I'm gonna give it a shot..

If you can get Sierra then by all means 10.4 is within reach ?