Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

Ok, so in the interests of testing i moved my 2008 Mac Pro (3.1) running with 2600XT GFX to High Sierra using the instructions here:- http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

Just been using LPX 10.4 for past hour, and it's running great. Early days, but super pleased to have made the update and thanks to bobco631 who reported success on Sierra.

1438118250_ScreenShot2018-01-30at23_52_58.png.e84ecbe4958502196d708f3105da32b9.png

Now to have fun! :-)

If you go High Sierra, Just make sure you have the latest High Sierra install .app to put through the patching tool - i initially tried it with the one that was on my MBP (Which i didn't realise was actually older from Oct-Nov '17) and installation failed, so it took far longer than it should, till i realised the mistake i had made! (Argh)

I then updated the High Sierra .app via the app store on my MBP, then re-built the USB Boot with the new file, popped it into my MP - and all went through smooth as silk. Thought i had proper screwed it up to start with as i had kernel panic, no entry symbols and all that goodness - so please avoid that worry! :)

The patching tool does not check the Install .app version, i presumed it did as it said 'verified'. So check yourself that the installer is at least 10.13.3, beyond that it's totally effortless if you follow the instructions to the word! :)

hey .... just looking into the update and for some reason i don't see the colourful spectral display on my chroma ... :-( ....anyone else having this issue ?

This has already been discussed several times in this thread, within this forum and at this point you could even Google it..

Instead of telling that person to go RTFM, the same effort could've been used to say "the fancy colorful display isn't available on unsupported/older GPUs/Macs".

If you go High Sierra, Just make sure you have the latest High Sierra install .app to put through the patching tool - i initially tried it with the one that was on my MBP (Which i didn't realise was actually older from Oct-Nov '17) and installation failed, so it took far longer than it should, till i realised the mistake i had made! (Argh))

Cool tip(s)....although I'm not sure my inner masochist is ready for High Sierra :wink:

I'll see how it pans out for you over the next week or two and then bite the bullet - either High or vanilla Sierra.

Instead of telling that person to go RTFM, the same effort could've been used to say "the fancy colorful display isn't available on unsupported/older GPUs/Macs".

It's not in the manual.....

i was characterizing his comment as a casual "RTFM", even though he was talking about searching the web.

Its the first pull down menu ~ with 3 options beginning with Static… with Auto Progress 96 selected I get reddish tracks when recording

which when completed turn GREEN for software instruments/EXT MIDI & turn BLUE for AUDIO

other defaults I'd like to fix ~ #1 = Did we lose the ability to create multiple tracks in one dialog box?

#2 EXTERNAL MIDI - this one is most maddening - a) always defaults to some instrument I don't even have in the track b) selecting ports and renaming can be a bitch ~

[lucky discovery ~ if you want to change MIDI CHANNELS on EXT MIDI track; make the change, select another track and then reselect and you will see the change]

and #3 - how can we make new software instruments default to something else besides drums?

anybody got a fix for these Eric?

Choose Preferences > Display > Color…

Anyone else not seeing 'color' as an option in the prefs > display window?

EDIT: Preferences > Display > Tracks > Appearance > Color (Auto Progress)

I would like to try this. I'm on an early 2008 Mac Pro as well. I did replace the graphics card at some point due to the original one crapping out. I'm not sure what it is or if it's supported in Sierra. I'm curious how you guys get on and will follow this thread. Please post your results and any advise.

Thanks

It works ! I've installed Sierra 10.12.6 as well as Logic 10.4 on my early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with little or relatively no worries.

I followed the advice from http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html which has all the information I required. I have an unsupported graphics card , so for ease of install I replaced that with the original graphics card to make installing easier, being able to see the boot process screens. I made the bootable usb drive according to the directions on dosdude1's page.

I booted to that drive with the restart - hold option key down - choose startup drive, installed Sierra to my SSD, then upon restart performed the post install patch and voila, the next restart was a healthy Sierra OS. Opening Logic and scanning the 540 Audio Units took a while, all good. I haven't thoroughly pushed it to the max, but I've opened up quite a few projects and everything seems to work like normal. I was crying the blues on saturday past after realizing I was left in the cold, but now I'm doing the happy dance ! Can't wait to dig into the new features ! Whoo hoo !!

I couldn't patch my 4.1 MP, but I will try this. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the tip

My bad :) Just trying out Logic again after moving to Studio One since LPX was out due to lack of Smart tempo etc. I only decided to give it a go after 10.4.

I guess a lot of catch up and RTFM for me :)

Checked out the plugin manager and it is great. Wish it does not need to initialize core audio though. Actually in general less or faster init would be awesome.

Thanks again

Oz

Thanks for the tip

Checked out the plugin manager and it is great. Wish it does not need to initialize core audio though. Actually in general less or faster init would be awesome.

Actually the Core Audio thing was A LOT slower when the Plugin Manager was first introduced. It's way better now but I know what you mean.

Ok, so in the interests of testing i moved my 2008 Mac Pro (3.1) running with 2600XT GFX to High Sierra using the instructions here:- http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

I looked into this and decided against doing it in case of compatibility issues, but I see you have the same MacPro as I do so now I'm like argh, I really want to give it a try! Did you have any issues with wi fi not working? I'm pretty sure I have a card which will be okay it's not listed as one of the incompatible units. Any other issues you've noticed since taking the plunge?

Thanks for the tip

My bad :) Just trying out Logic again after moving to Studio One since LPX was out due to lack of Smart tempo etc. I only decided to give it a go after 10.4.

I guess a lot of catch up and RTFM for me :)

Thanks again

Oz

it reloads all plugins open in a project. if you work on plugin manager with no open project or with a small project it will update very quickly.

Insanely good update, I’m stunned. They’ve addressed so many things and it seems they’ll probably be doing even more. Logic just rules, been flirting with Cubase but Logic is just so second nature and the workflow and CPU efficiency are so amazing - this update really took it to a new level.

All that’s left on my wish list:

- More responsive/immediate audio editing. No delay when making an adjustment transposing or moving audio.

- unlimited tracks

- drag and drop audio from arrange page to plug ins

- unload ram / Inst when freezing inst

- revamped EXS / Ultrabeat

Does anyone know how to disable the flashing white light when you make an error? I often use arrow keys to go up and down tracks and it flashes when I get to the top or bottom. If someone knows a terminal hack or something I would be much obliged.

I looked into this and decided against doing it in case of compatibility issues, but I see you have the same MacPro as I do so now I'm like argh, I really want to give it a try! Did you have any issues with wi fi not working?

Yup, the Wifi is dead as a dodo, but in all the years i've never used it other than to tether my phone as i don't have wifi in my studio room - so something i won't miss, and if i did i could just buy a wifi card anyway. Also, my wifi was on the list, so fully expected. Bluetooth, Networking etc. all work fine - Even my Focusrite Saffire Pro (Firewire) passed through without issues.

I'm pretty sure I have a card which will be okay it's not listed as one of the incompatible units. Any other issues you've noticed since taking the plunge?

The machine has ran better than it did under El Cap - while that sounds crazy, in El Cap when i had multiple browsers open across dual screens the mouse would judder - but now it's much smoother.

I have an issue with Crossover complaining each time i restart (Windows emu that i've not used in years, so i'll just remove that.)

Logic 10.4 runs fantastic, the only Logic issue i've noticed is with the Studio Strings/Trumpet plugins - they must be large sample libraries and the samples are not on my SSD (Symlinked to std hdd)- so it takes a bit of time for the sounds to come through - this may be normal, though. I have no reason to believe it's a Sierra/High Sierra related issue.

I've been using this machine for work today and left it installing the additional content last night, so has been running for around 18 hours non-stop with 7 of those hours being under load with work so far - and all good.

One thing i have noticed, is that i run a dual monitor setup, and sometimes i use my MacBook Pro on Monitor 2 instead of the Mac Pro, so when doing this, i mirror the display on my Mac Pro so that it runs entirely on Monitor 1 - The mirror displays icon that i used to use to swap between those modes on El Cap no longer shows at the top where the clock is, so i now have to go into settings > display and change arrangement that way.

Silverlight is all working too, which i was worried about, as i have a Fender Mustang amp and you can manage amp settings via the fender app which relies on silverlight - i was super worried about losing that, but no worries. :)

Amazingly all my third party plugins work, but i've always just let them auto-update anyway, so no worries there. So yes, super pleased i made the upgrade, there's so many improvements that i'll utilise and the machine on the whole feels really stable right now.

I'm just worried that i'll forget some of the notes incase it flips out after a future update, so i've printed the website that i used and placed in an A4 sleeve next to the Mac, just incase! :) (i.e. if SIP gets re-enabled for any reason)

Edit: Just had an issue with the new Tube EQ - Audio overloads if laid on a strip with certain plugins (Arturia Analog Lab 2 being one) - Now updating via Arturia software centre to rule out an issue with that plug, as the same track ran fine with Retrosynth, Mini V or Synthmaster with the Tube EQ. Shall report back.

Really amazing update!

Considering that my main Mac is (still) compatible, it is an unbeatable free be!

Thank you Apple!

Too bad however for Logic Remote, I'll have to upgrade my iPad (I guess) if I wish to use it as a controller, although I haven't much so far, besides summarily testing its functionality...

I'm impatiently awaiting for ARA2 from Celemony...

Good evening everyone,

I'm new to this forum and not really much of a message board user in general, so I apologize if I violate any unspoken rules or norms. I browsed through the thread pretty quickly, but didn't see anyone else having a problem with 10.4 crashing...

I went to open Logic today not knowing that there had been an update, and the program wouldn't open. I would instantly get a crash report. I uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times, pulled the 3rd party component files out of /library/audio (not a lot of them... Serum, Battery 4, and few others from Waves, NI, and Dada Life). I tried everything I could find on older threads. I ended up backing up my hard drive and then factory resetting my computer (reason being, I had previously deleted a lot of the apple loops and stock instruments and presets and stuff for both space and personal preference and just thought that maybe that was what was screwing with the new update.)

I've reinstalled Logic and now the program will launch and function if I open a new project, but if I try to open an existing project from before the update, it instantly crashes.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice. I'm not super techy, and I don't what to look for in these crash reports that might be a clue. I don't want to post the whole report since it's really long, but if there's a specific area I should pay attention to, I'm happy to share it. I've got a 2015 MacBook Pro with latest version of High Sierra.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

I went to open Logic today not knowing that there had been an update, and the program wouldn't open. I would instantly get a crash report. I uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times, pulled the 3rd party component files out of /library/audio (not a lot of them... Serum, Battery 4, and few others from Waves, NI, and Dada Life). I tried everything I could find on older threads. I ended up backing up my hard drive and then factory resetting my computer (reason being, I had previously deleted a lot of the apple loops and stock instruments and presets and stuff for both space and personal preference and just thought that maybe that was what was screwing with the new update.)

I've reinstalled Logic and now the program will launch and function if I open a new project, but if I try to open an existing project from before the update, it instantly crashes.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice. I'm not super techy, and I don't what to look for in these crash reports that might be a clue. I don't want to post the whole report since it's really long, but if there's a specific area I should pay attention to, I'm happy to share it. I've got a 2015 MacBook Pro with latest version of High Sierra.

Is there anything common in all of your previous projects that isn't factory which might be causing Logic to crash?

Try launching Logic while holding down Control to start with no audio drivers loaded, then open one of your old projects to see if there's something going on with Core Audio.

If it opens, try closing Logic and then launching Logic holding down Shift-Control which will only load AU plugins that have passed the AU Validation Tool. If your old projects won't load in AU-Safe mode, there might be an incompatible plugin causing the crashes.

Logic Pro/Express : Startup modifier keys for troubleshooting:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203231

Just been using LPX 10.4 for past hour, and it's running great. Early days, but super pleased to have made the update and thanks to bobco631 who reported success on Sierra.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 23.52.58.png

Now to have fun! :-)

Thanks for the shout out ! Glad to hear it's working for you, and good to know High Sierra is stable as well.

Live long LPX and prosper !

I looked into this and decided against doing it in case of compatibility issues, but I see you have the same MacPro as I do so now I'm like argh, I really want to give it a try! Did you have any issues with wi fi not working?

Yup, the Wifi is dead as a dodo, but in all the years i've never used it other than to tether my phone as i don't have wifi in my studio room - so something i won't miss, and if i did i could just buy a wifi card anyway. Also, my wifi was on the list, so fully expected. Bluetooth, Networking etc. all work fine - Even my Focusrite Saffire Pro (Firewire) passed through without issues.

I'm pretty sure I have a card which will be okay it's not listed as one of the incompatible units. Any other issues you've noticed since taking the plunge?

The machine has ran better than it did under El Cap - while that sounds crazy, in El Cap when i had multiple browsers open across dual screens the mouse would judder - but now it's much smoother.

I have an issue with Crossover complaining each time i restart (Windows emu that i've not used in years, so i'll just remove that.)

Logic 10.4 runs fantastic, the only Logic issue i've noticed is with the Studio Strings/Trumpet plugins - they must be large sample libraries and the samples are not on my SSD (Symlinked to std hdd)- so it takes a bit of time for the sounds to come through - this may be normal, though. I have no reason to believe it's a Sierra/High Sierra related issue.

I've been using this machine for work today and left it installing the additional content last night, so has been running for around 18 hours non-stop with 7 of those hours being under load with work so far - and all good.

One thing i have noticed, is that i run a dual monitor setup, and sometimes i use my MacBook Pro on Monitor 2 instead of the Mac Pro, so when doing this, i mirror the display on my Mac Pro so that it runs entirely on Monitor 1 - The mirror displays icon that i used to use to swap between those modes on El Cap no longer shows at the top where the clock is, so i now have to go into settings > display and change arrangement that way.

Silverlight is all working too, which i was worried about, as i have a Fender Mustang amp and you can manage amp settings via the fender app which relies on silverlight - i was super worried about losing that, but no worries. :)

Amazingly all my third party plugins work, but i've always just let them auto-update anyway, so no worries there. So yes, super pleased i made the upgrade, there's so many improvements that i'll utilise and the machine on the whole feels really stable right now.

I'm just worried that i'll forget some of the notes incase it flips out after a future update, so i've printed the website that i used and placed in an A4 sleeve next to the Mac, just incase! :) (i.e. if SIP gets re-enabled for any reason)

Edit: Just had an issue with the new Tube EQ - Audio overloads if laid on a strip with certain plugins (Arturia Analog Lab 2 being one) - Now updating via Arturia software centre to rule out an issue with that plug, as the same track ran fine with Retrosynth, Mini V or Synthmaster with the Tube EQ. Shall report back.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I run a very similar set up so that's very helpful :) I'm really, really tempted to do it now. I have a firewire Apogee Duet which is a slight concern, but but I'll make sure I do a complete backup of my current system drive before I take the plunge and if anything really breaks then I'll restore from that. My main concerns are retaining wifi, video card compatibility (ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB) and the Duet still functioning. If that all works then it sounds like a great move!

As someone who uses multi timbral sound modules the midi faders (+pan/reverb/cutoff etc) controls are such a big reason I use logic.

As I see them they are linked to midi cc7 (volume) and used extensively with external midi hardware. If you change the volume on the sound module it will be reflected to Logic and vice Versa, basically logic can act as a mixer that is controlling the faders/pan/reverb/cutoff etc for each midi part which is processed within the hardware device itself.

Hope that makes sense :)

There are some fixes that I'm really happy about and one of them is that the audio editor is again working properly with the horizontal zoom when using a Magic Mouse. That was driving me nuts since I upgraded from Logic Pro 9.

I’m so happy about this! I use a Magic Trackpad instead of a mouse and this always bugged me.

Me too. But it used to work in Logic 9. And the thing is that it worked in Logic X when working on the MIDI window, but not on the audio... finally, then fixed it :)

anyone else's mixer not reflecting changes made in the arrange? ie: if I collapse a track stack in the arrange window or hide tracks, they don't collapse or hide in the mixer. and used to, i could arrange my busses in the arrange to place where i wanted them and the mixer would move them as well, now they stay at the far right end of the mixer... am i missing a setting somewhere?

anyone else's mixer not reflecting changes made in the arrange? ie: if I collapse a track stack in the arrange window or hide tracks, they don't collapse or hide in the mixer. and used to, i could arrange my busses in the arrange to place where i wanted them and the mixer would move them as well, now they stay at the far right end of the mixer... am i missing a setting somewhere?

I'm not experiencing that in here. When I create a track stack, the mixer creates it as well, when I collapse or expand it, the mixer does it as well and when I move it in the arrangement window, it moves in the mixer as well

Sounds like you have the Mixer in All mode.