new logic version, 3june WWDC

fisherking

If Apple were smart they'd throw a few out to prominent 'pro' audio streamers online. Instantly hundreds of thousands worldwide advertising in a positive light to a very targeted market. I mean, who wouldn't love one if the costs were removed?! :)

Warren Huart currently running an old Cheesegrater, that's an easy 300k viewers hit for years of 'free' promotion. Would send a big message out to Audio users (If they are indeed targeting them).

If Apple were smart they'd throw a few out to prominent 'pro' audio streamers online. Instantly hundreds of thousands of advertising in a positive light to a very targeted market. I mean, who wouldn't love one if the costs were removed?! :)

Warren Huart currently running an old Cheesegrater, that's an easy 300k viewers hit for years of 'free' promotion. Would send a big message out to Audio users (If they are indeed targeting them).

Apple is smart enough to know that they don’t need to do that. Those of us who won’t be buying won’t either because we can afford it but think it’s overkill or we can’t afford it and seeing pros with it won’t affect either issue.

There's many younger more easily influenced people who would be steered by it, particularly students wanting a machine to take them through any of the prime digital arts courses for next 4 years (Audio/Video/Photography/Design/GameDev) and they're watching online tutors using these next breed of 'awesome' machines. After that 4 years you've still got a machine that has value too, and you can set up business/freelance in spare time with it.

Once you break the costs down across a 4-5 year monthly plan it's not as expensive for someone who's not relying on a diminished wage (as they're doing something which is also their love/hobby), or has to offset expenses as a professional would do. So many people primarily in audio as their sole income are suffering badly with long hours and making ends meet, hence why positions/jobs are not so easy to come by in the industry.

An enthusiast has their day jobs bringing them expendable income and many students have have parents willing to help them out, plus add in 0% student loans which have a huge payment window, and ability to buy at education rates. That's a big chunk of potentials, and putting them in front of people via their idols is incredibly influential, not just to sell the Mac Pro, but MacOS as a whole.

Besides that, Nearly all the studios i've been in have far less powered and dated machines than the average enthusiasts i know because they're not relying on the machine to do all the grunt. So don't be fooled into thinking this is only a matured pro's market.

Just my thoughts, anyway. So yes, i think it would be a genius move if Apple done such a thing, to show the audio community that this is a valid machine if you have the budget. But furthermore to push the MacOS as prime audio platform.

They did update the number of multi-outs available from instrument plugins to 25 instead of 16 as before. so that's something. Presumably you can create 1000 inst channels but you can no longer explicity instantiate a larger inst, you can only create an inst channel and it will automatically increment to the next available one. If you have existing templates that were based on having some tracks setup with large inst# objects...I think they may be broken.

I was using the new VSL AU3 plugin and that is now broken, doesn't work at all....

sorry, but yes...they have broken some things in trying to add 1000 channels I think. I'm going back until its resolved..

what I am finding now on further investigation is that if I call new instrument track, it does not appear at all unless I click on the arrange page, then it appear. When I tried to select it and delete it, it crashed Logic.

Sorry, but i'm rolling back to 10.4.4. VEP AU3 also is broken, and some other things I found already too. This is the worst update I've ever seen from LPX.

what I am finding now on further investigation is that if I call new instrument track, it does not appear at all unless I click on the arrange page, then it appear. When I tried to select it and delete it, it crashed Logic.

Sorry, but i'm rolling back to 10.4.4. VEP AU3 also is broken, and some other things I found already too. This is the worst update I've ever seen from LPX.

Again, not having that track issue here for some reason.

Don't know about AU3 though haven't tried it.

I think the 'average' user is more than catered for, it's the prosumer/enthuasists which are caught in the middle ground, but even then adequate Mini machines fit for a budget, and iMacs are a great buy too if you want the screen.

It's mainly those wanting the traditional Mac Pro form factor without requiring such high base components where it falls down... It's a massive black hoooooooooooooooole (Thats me falling down it lol).

In my case, they'll probably lose a customer, can't get too caught up on it really. Crap happens when you get older, you hit less demographics for 'current' trends and i just cannot get my head around going from a Mac Pro to a Mini even though sense tells me i'd love it. lol

i just cannot get my head around going from a Mac Pro to a Mini even though sense tells me i'd love it. lol

read that sentence to yourself out loud. you have an option right there (not that you can't move to windows and have a life). but there are options.

it's true that the gap from the imacs and the mini to the new pros is there; would be great if apple brought in a scaled-down pro for that market. but... who knows? meanwhile, a well-specc'ed mini or imac can do amazing things.

my new 21" i7 imac is killing it; i can run all the tracks on the benchmark; i can open (& work in) a couple of projects that my previous macbook pro struggled with. am doing some complex mixes without issue.

just this morning i read an article on matt wiggens (engineer for adele, coldplay, u2, etc)... he runs his protools rig on a mini, which he describes as 'fully nippy' (am assuming that's british for 'fast').

Oh i know, it's absurd. But i just like machines that i can upgrade... It's all i've ever known and used over the years. It's more an OCD thing than a 'sense' thing too.

Sure, there's different external hardware/peripherals i may have to buy to move over to a USB/Thunderbolt based hardware - but that's not really the sticking point for me as i budgeted way above a Mini i7 for the next Mac Pro and it leaves plenty spare for me to enjoy all the modern expansions and benefits in regards to speed. I could overhaul and get a more capable audio interface with the remainder too, for example.

It's more about the mindset of moving in to a small fixed box on the desk and that becoming my workhorse for the next 4-5 years. And as i said before it's not helping that Win10/Cubase is really wowing me each time i use it, power is just so easy to come by/upgrade at will - and my word, i just setup all my external synths via it's patchbrower and built-in external device panels, and for that it's just levels above 'for what i want'.

Just feeling like a square peg trying to fit into a 'carefully and delicately machined aluminium' round hole, love Logic and this forum though so just hanging around and i'll slowly fade away i guess. lol :)

Oh i know, it's absurd. But i just like machines that i can upgrade... It's all i've ever known and used over the years. It's more an OCD thing than a 'sense' thing too.

Sure, there's different external hardware/peripherals i may have to buy to move over to a USB/Thunderbolt based hardware - but that's not really the sticking point for me as i budgeted way above a Mini i7 for the next Mac Pro and it leaves plenty spare for me to enjoy all the modern expansions and benefits in regards to speed. I could overhaul and get a more capable audio interface with the remainder too, for example.

It's more about the mindset of moving in to a small fixed box on the desk and that becoming my workhorse for the next 4-5 years. And as i said before it's not helping that Win10/Cubase is really wowing me each time i use it, power is just so easy to come by/upgrade at will - and my word, i just setup all my external synths via it's patchbrower and built-in external device panels, and for that it's just levels above 'for what i want'.

Just feeling like a square peg trying to fit into a 'carefully and delicately machined aluminium' round hole, love Logic and this forum though so just hanging around and i'll slowly fade away i guess. lol :)

nothing wrong with any of that, and if cubase/windows is working for you, that's a good thing. the music is what matters (and the path to getting to the music). have fun!

Fwiw, aren't you using a 5.1 cheesegrater, too?

I decided to just prepare myself for the Mojave update (should be a piece of cake now that I already updated my Boot-ROM, will set me short of just €120 for a Radeon RX 560) which will very likely give me 2 more years of full, official support. Plenty of time to see where Logic might be going and what Apple might (or might not) be doing about the gap in their computer portfolio. And even without Apple support, it'd possibly still give me 2 more years of 3rd party support (if not more) as the biggest changes (mainly 64bit to happen all throughout) are pretty much done already. Ok, Apple being Apple, you never know - they could as well come up with a major Logic update (the one that goes to eleven, ) which would only work on T2 equipped machines (uhm, I possibly shouldn't give them ideas...), but I'd guess that even maneouvers like this would still take a while.

In the end, I may even freeze the status of this machine (and perhaps update the CPUs before) because it's actually delivering more than I need (ok, minus the single core performance) and get a cute convertible Windows "side car" for up-to-date-ness in some areas.