new logic version, 3june WWDC

fisherking

Bugs are forever being fixed and addressed, you just have to look at the Release Notes.

...it’s just not always the ones we want.

I know that. Yet, some longstanding things simply don't seem to ever get adressed.

Yeah that’s the one that annoys me the most too. I have a few annoyances that I am still waiting for them to fixed, but perhaps it’s not as easy a thing to get fixed.

Perhaps they’ve had to wait for the fix of some underlying OS or framework code because that is where the problems were stemming from. Perhaps that in fixing this underlying code, this other crew has decided to to a rewrite because the whole thing needs to be made compatible with SwiftUI. Or perhaps they focus on bigs that just effect a majority of users. Or perhaps all of these things are true. Perhaps.

The whole process in fixing some of these bugs could take longer than you think. Nothing is as simple as it seems. The only thing we can do is keep reporting these issues through the Support site and hope some of them get addressed.

It's what information you have at the point/agreement of purchase that matters, and it doesn't say 1000 tracks for me - where you are seeing this? (I'm in UK)

Even website- https://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/specs/

Again, with respect in my understanding thats not actually 100% correct, but we can agree to peacefully disagree on that, Can you agree though that to have specs up that aren't released and different regional websites having different information is pretty lame/unprofessional for a company like Apple, as I say I have never seen this before so I find it very peculiar.

If there's no significant add-ons (e.g., like Alchemy, artic maps, etc.), then I hope that A) its optimization is significant and B) it isn't next os dependent. I have a feeling that Mojave will be the last OS on this computer.

PS, nothing against David Earl, but I think 'our' David should've done the presentation!

Not the UK site, the main Apple site.

I'm surprised it's updated (as I mentioned earlier in the thread), which to me either means it's a mistake, or the new version is coming out imminently (but perhaps is taking some extra days for some reason).

In any case, "false advertising" - knowingly intentionally offering misleading information to convince people to buy something that isn't as advertised - is a bit of a stretch here.

And it's not like the new version with 1000 tracks doesn't exist, or isn't coming...

Sure I understand your point, and of course I'm not saying Apple is "intentionally offering misleading information to convince people to buy something that isn't as advertised" but they are still liable for the info they put out even if it's a mistake, and of Course Apple isn't worried about a few refunds but it's still very unApple like, I have never seen them do this before, it's either a mistake or just very bad practice.

Can you agree though that to have specs up that aren't released and different regional websites having different information is pretty lame/unprofessional for a company like Apple, as I say I have never seen this before so I find it very peculiar.

Yeah it's bad for Apple standards, but not on the levels of false advertising, not for me. I find their claims of "Never been seen before" on their hardware conferences more misleading in a much more deliberate nature, many of those quotes really should come with the suffix "..on a mac". ;)

In terms of liability i think information at the point of sale is what stands the tougher test, but there's always a get out in that you offer the customer their money back in a misprint like this, so all responsibility kinda goes out the window, as there's some T&C that we sign up to that probably say specs change on what we purchase all the time!

Edited by skijumptoes

The whole process in fixing some of these bugs could take longer than you think. Nothing is as simple as it seems.

Well, I'm absolutely aware of that (I started betatesting for several companies around 20 years ago already, a lovely little german company starting with the letter "E" among them...). Yet, there's some rather relevant bugs and shortcomings that never existed in previous versions and others that made their way through the versions. The former would make me go like "What about your longstanding, loyal users?" while the latter suggests that things are not related to a new codebase (unless they actually reprogrammed the bugs because people fell so much in love with them...). I would easily forgive them any new bugs related to new features or to an entirely new codebase. But the ones I'm talking about don't seem to be related to either. Take the zoom issues. Zooming in general has stayed the same (chances for new codebase used: small), yet it's messed up. Same goes for beatmapping, which IMO is even less likely to be based on an entirely new part of code because in general, the thing is looking as oldfashiond-ly familiar as ever before (in case it was a new portion of code, they could as well have revamped the entire thing).

Now, I would still understand a major version jump (such as from 9 to X) to introduce certain new bugs in old features, creeping under the hood of whatever old codebase, too. But from all I know, some of these bugs are there since the release of LPX (that's at least true for the zooming and parts of the beatmapping as I worked on a friends machine back then, so I have noticed it myself even if personally switched a lot later). Which is like - what? - 6 years ago. Ever since LPX has seen tons of new features and new content - yet, nobody cared enough to fix these bugs (which might be essential to some, nervewrecking to others - such as the zoom thing, which is simply driving me mad).

I am not sure whether that's still the case, but back in the days of the Apple deal, several folks, betatesters included, left the ship (or were "told to leave"), some rather high profiled Logic afficionados and experts among them and perhaps even one or the other programmer. Could as well be that they still haven't fully recovered from that (Apples betatesting NDAs defenitely aren't something everybody would gladly sign), at least it sometimes looks like it to me. Some things would've never seen the public daylight back in the days, that's for sure.

FK - i fail to believe you won't be the first to report successful install, pressures on mate! ;-)

I may have a sneak OS upgrade in anticipation, even though all indications suggest maintenance update - but i did read something interesting on this thread (i think) in regards to the underlying codebase could be different (move to swift) to obtain the added track count, and thus reap a general performance benefit overall as they've reworked functions in the process.

It'll probably be the old Xeon's that loses performance though knowing my luck!

FK - i fail to believe you won't be the first to report successful install, pressures on mate! ;-)

I may have a sneak OS upgrade in anticipation, even though all indications suggest maintenance update - but i did read something interesting on this thread (i think) in regards to the underlying codebase could be different (move to swift) to obtain the added track count, and thus reap a general performance benefit overall as they've reworked functions in the process.

It'll probably be the old Xeon's that loses performance though knowing my luck!

i just cloned my imac (which i will of course update at the last possible second); so i'll try the beta (on a day off! am on a project). and i can always revert. but, checking my applications, there are no 32bit apps. whether that means that my plugins will all load is another story.........

My 5 year old 2.5 ghz, 4 core i7 MBP runs Logic like an absolute champ, with one 7200rpm drive on a thunderbolt port. Street price on my computer has got to be less than a grand at this point and all the newer machines look awful by comparison IMO, especially since moore’s Law broke 8 years ago and the processors are not that much faster (Have two standard USB’s, two thunderbolt/display ports, HDMI, SD, card, etc. - look mom, no adapters!).

Can’t imagine needing essentially 10x’s as much processing power as what I currently have. Those machines are definitely for video and graphics people.

I have the exact same machine except using an external SSD. Of course I'm envious of anyone ordering a new Mac Pro but do I really need it? No. I work for myself and money is time. I'll stay with my current set up which works just fine. I'll trade the money I would have spent on a Mac Pro for more time to make music! A year from now used trash can Mac Pro's might be a realistic option.

Are we sure that's a flatter design? It looks like a good match to what we have now, and I'm stuck on 10.3 due to the age of my machines… (as I drool at the new Mac Pro and my old Mac Pro looks at me with shock like the girl in that one meme)

Same UI IMHO, just the difference in the monitor and lighting in the venue.

Are we sure that's a flatter design? It looks like a good match to what we have now, and I'm stuck on 10.3 due to the age of my machines… (as I drool at the new Mac Pro and my old Mac Pro looks at me with shock like the girl in that one meme)

check the track numbers, the gradients on regions. LXnu.png

in comparison, here's logic as it is now...lxold.jpeg

ah, the NDA. otherwise i'd have posted a picture of LPX 10.6, which, i can only say, does not exist, and isn't current running on my new mac pro (mac os 10.16).

none of this is true (or is it?)

EDIT: i guess it's time to show my new mac at home: macpro.jpg

EDIT EDIT: you can view the new pro (AND the monitor) in AR on an iphone.. :mrgreen:

check the track numbers, the gradients on regions. LXnu.png

in comparison, here's logic as it is now...lxold.jpeg

No changes to the UI here. We've had both for a longer while.

Edited by mattymatt

We've had the possibility of thousands of "tracks" for a long time for sure. What they appear to have done is to bump up the number of "channels" that can be created as objects in the environment from 256 of each type, to 1000 of each type. This is actually kind of a big deal. Not a hard add if you ask me, they should have done this years ago, but they didn't need to showoff a new MacPro years ago...now they did, so now they finally bumped up the number of channels that can be created.

Before, in Logic if you wanted 1000 tracks, you'd have to use multi instruments so you could theoretically have, for example, 255x16 instrument tracks..feeding 255 instrument channels. Now you can have 16,000 instrument tracks feeding 1000 instrument channels. Its going to be a big help for people wanting large templates in Logic.

did have LP9 have midi fx plugins in the mixer? I never owned it but I don't think so. The environment has others kinds of midi manipulations that can be done for sure, but the ability to host AU-MFX was never there before LPX I don't think..totally new feature...and definitely not involved with the environment at all.

The only things that jump out to me as being "UI externalization" is maybe the studio strings and horns which are nice wrappers and instruments for EXS24 instances - but you could never complain at them, as they're ace!

Maybe the drum machine designer - that's cumbersome and another form of UI/Wrapping that's using old Logic elements in the background?

Other than that, Smart controls have a unique per-plugin/channel strip mapping with a fixed hardware macro order, and as above MidiFX is new to LPX and sits AFTER the sequencer - many would love that to be in the environment though, just for the scripter module.