new logic version, 3june WWDC

fisherking

one of the things i've always appreciated about this forum is how many helpful, interesting people here. but all this whining is disappointing. it's like the GOT petition; ask a million people how the show should have ended, and you'll get a million different answers. meanwhile, the showrunners only real responsibility is to their show, and (rightfully so), their vision.

anyone who expects any corporation to adapt to their specific wishes, is... just wishing. and apple, despite it's 'cool' appearance, is just that; a corporation. get over it.

in the real world, we adapt, or find workarounds, or... whine. sad to see so much whining here.

To whine about people whining is a bit ridiculous.

perhaps you're right. how else to point it out though? anyway, will let the whiners whine, and so on. i just want everyone to have a good time... 8-)

always good to complain about something before you know the details. but didn't you see triplet's link in this thread? the minimum requirement seems to be "10.13.6"...

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/specs/

That's the specs for the actual Logic. And Apple already changed them during LPX' life. So they could as well change them again with the next update.

Edited by Sascha Franck

I'm not particularly surprised at the price. this thing is really aimed at visual developers - video, cinema and games people who need a lot of horsepower and will pay for it. And Hans Zimmer wannabes. For the rest of us who don't plan using a thousand tracks and three orchestras, you can work fine with a decently priced iMac. A souped up Mac Mini would be good - i.e. iMac without the screen - and better spec'd than the most recent one.

For sure. Unless Apple (and I’m not putting it past them) deliberately code a new version of logic to be way less efficient in terms of processing needs, basically nobody needs that much processing power for running a standard logic session. My 5 year old 2.5 ghz, 4 core i7 MBP runs Logic like an absolute champ, with one 7200rpm drive on a thunderbolt port. Street price on my computer has got to be less than a grand at this point and all the newer machines look awful by comparison IMO, especially since moore’s Law broke 8 years ago and the processors are not that much faster (Have two standard USB’s, two thunderbolt/display ports, HDMI, SD, card, etc. - look mom, no adapters!).

Can’t imagine needing essentially 10x’s as much processing power as what I currently have. Those machines are definitely for video and graphics people.

I think your derogatory term towards disappointed people shows you to be a jerk. How's that?

I think you are right about this, only a jerk would whine on about people whining, if they really didn't like the direction of the conversation they would just ignore it, but they cannot resist a whine.

That's the specs for the actual Logic. And Apple already changed them during LPX' life. So they could as well change them again with the next update.

or not. why not: wait and see what the minimum spec is when the time comes, then discuss? what's the benefit of worrying in advance? (seriously, am asking)...

I think your derogatory term towards disappointed people shows you to be a jerk. How's that?

I think you are right about this, only a jerk would whine on about people whining, if they really didn't like the direction of the conversation they would just ignore it, but they cannot resist a whine.

am sure this doesn't reference me; i don't drink; no 'whine' since 2009, so easy to resist.... 8-)

honestly, i want to read people's thoughts about the new logic possibilities. just wish there was a 'whine' filter on forums, so i would only see the more thoughtful replies.

so it goes...

or not. why not: wait and see what the minimum spec is when the time comes, then discuss? what's the benefit of worrying in advance? (seriously, am asking)...

Sure, there's no obvious benefit - but then, maybe there is.

See, I'm inmidst of some plans to pimp this very machine a bit (new CPUs, more RAM, perhaps a used Hammerfall/PCI a colleague of mine is probably selling). Now, while I could as well make this computer the last music machine I'll ever use, some Logic bugs are really driving me nuts on an almost daily base. And in case there'd be no chance for me to ever see them fixed on this very computer, I'd rather rethink my pimping plans. I mean, in case I knew I'd have to live with these bugs for a whole while to come, I'd rather start saving that money and think about plan b (which might be anything between moving to Windows and buying a Mac Mini or a used trashcan).

And yes, I think these are pretty valid thoughts.

Until it's no longer capable of course

It's expensive to make sure new software works on old hardware. Apple rarely obsoletes hardware because it isn't capable. They obsolete it because it makes no financial sense to go to the effort to make sure new software accommodates the needs of the old hardware.

That's certainly the party line, and of course, last time I checked, Apple was under extreme financial distress. That whole iPhone snafu brought them to the edge of bankruptcy.

Mostly they just remove drivers for no particularly good reason.

I have a bridge for sale if you're interested.

one of the things i've always appreciated about this forum is how many helpful, interesting people here. but all this whining is disappointing. it's like the GOT petition; ask a million people how the show should have ended, and you'll get a million different answers. meanwhile, the showrunners only real responsibility is to their show, and (rightfully so), their vision.

anyone who expects any corporation to adapt to their specific wishes, is... just wishing. and apple, despite it's 'cool' appearance, is just that; a corporation. get over it.

in the real world, we adapt, or find workarounds, or... whine. sad to see so much whining here.

Why is it that when someone is unhappy you seem to immediately consider it whining?

It's expensive to make sure new software works on old hardware. Apple rarely obsoletes hardware because it isn't capable. They obsolete it because it makes no financial sense to go to the effort to make sure new software accommodates the needs of the old hardware.

That's certainly the party line, and of course, last time I checked, Apple was under extreme financial distress. That whole iPhone snafu brought them to the edge of bankruptcy.

Mostly they just remove drivers for no particularly good reason.

I have a bridge for sale if you're interested.

Yes, Apple is doing well...because they make smart financial decisions. For example, choosing when it makes sense to drop support for old hardware. They definitely do not do things for no reason. Of course it may be a reason you don't like :).

Regarding Logic, I can only hope that I will not be excluded from the next update already.

Unfortunately, things aren't looking too shiny, the WWDC version already looks quite Catalina-ready... and might as well turn out to be Catalina-only.

Mojave,5 is the requirement.