Logic Pro 10.6 is out

David Nahmani

(the orange bar highlighting the current track is a nice touch)

Can you explain a little more about this? Does this mean I can finally stop accidentally changing the settings on the wrong track? :lol:

Also, I wasn't aware of the 'turn off all plugins" key command in 10.5, what is the command, couldn't find it in my key command browser? Thanks

(the orange bar highlighting the current track is a nice touch)

Can you explain a little more about this? Does this mean I can finally stop accidentally changing the settings on the wrong track? :lol:

Also, I wasn't aware of the 'turn off all plugins" key command in 10.5, what is the command, couldn't find it in my key command browser? Thanks

What orange highlighting?

There is Bypass all fx plugins ( On selected channel) option which now works as toggle.

Yeah, I'm not sure this update is pulling me towards it as much as previous updates have.. and besides I upgraded to Mojave to satisfy 10.5 - wasn't that earlier this year..

If I really need to go to 10.6 (and Catalina), is there a link from where we can download the OS image?

----edit

found it

https://support.apple.com/downloads/catalina

----edit2

hmm, need the base installer though

Edited by cinningbao

Apple gives all Logic Pro updates for free since forever...and still you complain about compatibility support with 10 years old Mac...cmon :)

No, I am complaining about them not supporting an OS that should be supported (and otherwise is).

Also, I have never been asking for free updates. I'd happily pay for updates and keep my machine as is instead.

How do I update to Logic Pro X 10.6? (...) EDIT: I had to go to the App Store website and click on the Update button there - weird how it was not directly in the App Store when I checked

The App Store does some weird things like that sometimes. For me 10.6 didn't immediately show up then after quitting and restarting the App Store a few times it finally showed up when I searched for it (but not in the Update tab). So the opposite of what you experienced.

I'm not sure if there's a way to refresh the App Store while it's open to check for new content? Anyone knows?

Yes, you can do Cmd+R to refresh the update tab. It’s also in a menu, maybe view or something, I’m not on my Mac.

Apple gives all Logic Pro updates for free since forever...and still you complain about compatibility support with 10 years old Mac...cmon :)

Here is my issue:

Logic 10.5 was released 5/12/20. 10.5.1 released 6/11/20. 10.6 - is released, which is really a bunch of bug fixes for 10.5. There are new features, but mostly it fixes issues with 10.5

Apple new this was coming and should have made 10.5 Catalina Only. Now, since I upgraded to Mojave (which hasn't been as solid as High Sierra was) and 10.5 (which has been nearly as stable as 10.4.8) I am stuck with the bug fixes we have. No more fixes for 10.5 users. And since Apple doesn't allow us to go back - yes I know, make a backup copy, which I have never done because Apple has always supported their software longer than 6 months, we are stuck.

So, this is (for the first time) I believe a way to force hardware updates. If they had made 10.5 Catalina only, those of us on the older hardware might have spoke out, but we would still have 10.4.8 working very well. Instead, they offered us a bunch of new stuff and then pull the rug out 6 months later.

I don't expect them to support my 2012 MacPro. But they did by allowing Mojave to run on it. They should continue to support a 6 month old program that was allowed to run on Mojave. They announced 6/22 that they were going to transition from Intel. You can't tell me the Logic team didn't know 10.5 was only going to be around for 6 months. And if that is the case, shame on Apple for that too.

By the way - this comes after they made a big deal in their presentation about backward compatibility and Rosetta 2

Edited by KC

No, I am complaining about them not supporting an OS that should be supported (and otherwise is).

Also, I have never been asking for free updates. I'd happily pay for updates and keep my machine as is instead.

yes.

Apple new this was coming and should have made 10.5 Catalina Only.

Apple are well able to make these decisions for themselves. they know their user base - if they'd made 10.5 Catalina only, with all the major new, long-awaited features, do you not think Mojave users would have been annoyed at this?

Instead of waiting for the ARM version, they pushed out the good stuff so a wider section of their user base could use them. How is that a bad thing?

Now, since I upgraded to Mojave (which hasn't been as solid as High Sierra was) and 10.5 (which has been nearly as stable as 10.4.8) I am stuck with the bug fixes we have. No more fixes for 10.5 users.

This has always been then the case. There are people stuck on earlier hardware and OS's than this too. It affects *everyone* sooner or later.

You stick with the versions you have, or you upgrade your old machines. I'm in the same boat - I have a 2011 MBP, which doesn't even support Mojave properly. I'm going to continue to use the Logic version I have, until I end up upgrading my hardware.

This isn't really Apple's fault.

So, this is (for the first time) I believe a way to force hardware updates.

I don't agree at all. Plenty of people are downloading and using LPX 10.6 on their current hardware. It's just those people in most cases have more recent hardware than me (and presumably you). But Logic also supports new hardware going forward, which *it has to do*.

Yes, they could have added these bug fixes to a 10.5.x version, which would have been nice for us, but they didn't, for reasons that make sense to them... :shrugs:

Also - I'm not sure what you mean about not going back - I have 10.4.8 and 10.5.1 on my system here and can choose which to run. If 10.4.8 works better for you, stick with that.

...Instead of waiting for the ARM version, they pushed out the good stuff so a wider section of their user base could use them. How is that a bad thing?

It's only bad in that it's a 6 month old product. Had they been up front (and not so damn secretive, which I know is the Apple way) those of us with old machines would have kept with 10.4.8. Maybe complain about ESX and such, but we wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on. Everyone would say, hey, you want the new Sampler and features, sorry you have to upgrade your old Mac. That might have hurt, but what could you do. Instead, they give us a new version, with new bugs, and 6 months later say, yeah, we're done with that and sorry for the bugs, but you'll have to update hardware for the fixes.

This has always been then the case. There are people stuck on earlier hardware and OS's than this too. It affects *everyone* sooner or later.

You stick with the versions you have, or you upgrade your old machines. I'm in the same boat - I have a 2011 MBP, which doesn't even support Mojave properly. I'm going to continue to use the Logic version I have, until I end up upgrading my hardware.

True - but not in 6 months. Apple was always the one (and still is on iOS) that bent over backwards to make sure old hardware is still supported. I get that the transition is coming, and Apple has said so. But during the PowerPC to Intel, and Mac os9-10, we had more than 6 months.

This isn't really Apple's fault.

I disagree. Again, if Apple was up front about their plans - even just a bit. I've been using Macs since 1988 -hardware updates are a constant. That's not my issue. But this one is different. I have never seen an apple product come out and 6 months later it doesn't run on the system is was running on the day before.

Also - I'm not sure what you mean about not going back - I have 10.4.8 and 10.5.1 on my system here and can choose which to run. If 10.4.8 works better for you, stick with that.

My issue is you can't get LPX 10.4 from Apple. You can't get High Sierra from Apple. So maybe it my fault for not saving an old copy. But I didn't expect 10.5 to be so short lived. If Apple were to offer High Sierra and 10.4.8, I would stop complaining right now. But they won't. They don't allow you to downgrade. How much server space would it take to make 10.14 and 10.4.8 available to download? They could even say, look, we won't support this system and software, but here it is if you want it.

Anyway, I agree that is is difficult to bitch when I am using 8 year old hardware and haven't paid for any updates to Logic in years. I have little to bitch about. But I also think it is a pretty crappy thing for Apple to do - and it hurts their reputation in my eyes. And just another reason to keep exploring other DAWs

Anyway, I agree that is is difficult to bitch when I am using 8 year old hardware and haven't paid for any updates to Logic in years. I have little to bitch about. But I also think it is a pretty crappy thing for Apple to do - and it hurts their reputation in my eyes. And just another reason to keep exploring other DAWs

I hear your pain KC. I understand and agree with everything you said, from a user standpoint. And from a book author's standpoint, it's not the best situation to have a book come out titled "Logic Pro X 10.5" less than 2 months before 10.6 is released, especially when that book is produced in close relationship with the Logic team at Apple.

However, one thing I can share about my experience working with software company (this one and others) is that you never truly know what's going to happen until it actually happens. We don't know exactly what went on behind the scene. We can imagine that they just thought "Apple Silicon machines will be out in November, but let's release 10.5 a few months before, we'll release a new update 6 months later, who cares." Or we can imagine that in spring 2019 they wanted to release 10.5 but Apple Silicon was already back then "just around the corner" so they waited. And they waited. And they waited. And at some point it seemed like Apple Silicon kept being pushed back and they saw no need to punish Logic users by making them wait for who knows how much longer, so they released 10.5. And then a few months later a decision was made by a marketing dept to push Apple Silicon ahead of whatever was planned when 10.5 was released so AS Macs would be available for the Xmas shopping period.

Truth is, we don't know, (I really don't know this time) but often the reality is a wee bit more complex than what we - the end users - imagine.

It's only bad in that it's a 6 month old product.

The product, LPX, is 6+ years old, and actually, is more like 27 years old. But if you mean, it was 6 months from the last major (free) upgrade, then that's true, but I don't really see what difference this makes.

those of us with old machines would have kept with 10.4.8.

But you can. That's *your* choice. No one is stopping you doing this...

And this is recommend practice both from Apple (top of the update notes) and on forums like this one, an Apple's for years. Always keep your old versions, at least for a while.

Everyone would say, hey, you want the new Sampler and features, sorry you have to upgrade your old Mac. That might have hurt, but what could you do.

Presumably, you'd bitch about Apple forcing hardware upgrades, just as you are now - just 6 months earlier. And with fewer features in your current version of Logic! ;)

Instead, they give us a new version, with new bugs, and 6 months later say, yeah, we're done with that and sorry for the bugs, but you'll have to update hardware for the fixes.

Every version ever always has bugs. 10.4.8 has bugs, plenty of them, that were fixed in 10.5. Wherever version you make a cut off, there's always an argument for feeling hard done by. Same as it ever was, really.

How much server space would it take to make 10.14 and 10.4.8 available to download? They could even say, look, we won't support this system and software, but here it is if you want it.

I agree that I would like to have old versions available for download and this would make it far more convenient for some people, but it seems a corporate decision to not allow it. This is nothing to do with server space - those versions *are* there because the AppStore delivers older versions when you are on older systems. This is more a corporate/AppStore policy thing, and it's difficult to get those decisions changed. It's not the first time this has been discussed here.

Look - Logic is my tool of choice, and I've had a relationship with it for the better part of my life. It does hurt a little when Logic says "Hey, you can't use me anymore unless you change your circumstances" because I feel like I've been a loyal friend, customer, champion and supporter. It's a bit like being told "You're not good enough for me any more" - it hurts! It hurt when Logic left the Atari platform, and I was stuck on old versions as Logic continued to develop on the Mac with cool new stuff. It hurt when having eventually moved over the PC, Logic left the PC behind and continued to develop on the Mac that I had no access to.

But, here we are years later, and I'm still using Logic, and while sometimes I get left behind a bit, it doesn't stop my ability to use what I already have (which is pretty damn great) and usually I manage to catch up, sooner or later. I just try not to feel emotional about it, as there's not much point...

Edited by des99

The way i see it is that 10.5 was unfortunately delayed, and therefore well overdue by the time it arrived. I see these updates as Apple playing catch up in order to remain in sync with their planned hardware timeline.

It's certainly not the norm, i.e. i've only experienced one true generational change with them (PPC > Intel). And so far, i see this series of updates very promising. It's no surprise that you need to be up to date in modern computing, but appreciate users who've dragged older machines to the next OS they can who are facing the same decision again.

Edited by skijumptoes

Hey Des - I think we both see eye to eye on many things. And maybe I'm not communicating my thoughts well but I'm closely getting into Beating a Dead Horse territory, so I'll leave it at that. Cheers!

Thanks - Indeed. It's cool - I like to think of this place as a safe space for Logic friends, if not an emotional support group! :)

I certainly intended no hard feelings if I come across as more forceful than I intend...

I wonder if they made a mistake and replaced the download.

I don't have the option to show chords, but I do have a checkbox to show a chord track. It doesn't do anything though.

I don't have any orange lines either.

Where is the checkbox? You don't see View > Chord editor in the Piano Roll's menu bar? Are all your advanced tools selected? Just asking because I'm curious how this whole thing is supposed to work.

The orange/red vertical line on my screenshot indicates where Logic believes I was going to insert a Chord. I think.

I wonder if they made a mistake and replaced the download.

I don't have the option to show chords, but I do have a checkbox to show a chord track. It doesn't do anything though.

I don't have any orange lines either.

Where is the checkbox? You don't see View > Chord editor in the Piano Roll's menu bar? Are all your advanced tools selected? Just asking because I'm curious how this whole thing is supposed to work.

The orange/red vertical line on my screenshot indicates where Logic believes I was going to insert a Chord. I think.

No, the Chord Editor option doesn't appear in my menu.

The Chord Track option appears in the View > Configure Global Tracks menu in the Piano Roll.

chord.png

Edited by jonparadise

isn't the orange line on the left merely highlighting the active track? that's what seems to be happening here.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 9.01.01 AM.png

(sorry about the lo-fi picture, lol)...

10.6 is running fine here on catalina (again, will probably screw that up by updating to big sur this weekend).

Nope, I don't get that either!