Is This External SSD Drive Great (& Fast Enough) for What I Need (for storing & using Sample Libraries)

Go to solution Solved by facej,

Hi,

I have.read that many people are using a 2nd (external drive) for their sample libraries. I'm still on the latest version of Catalina (mid-2020 MacBook Pro 16", 8 Core I9, 32G RAM, 1TB) and I wanted to make sure (before I open it) that this 2nd Drive IS Good for me and for my use!

"SanDisk - Extreme 2TB External USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A/Type-C Portable Solid-State Drive"

I'm Definitely Great with using a SSD Drive and (as my new MacBook Pro is Thunderbolt 3), want to be sure that the above Drive is GREAT (not just, eh, okay, or too slow) for storing and running things like Amplitube 5 Max or East/West Hollywood Pop Brass. It is USB C (of course), actually USB 3.1 it says, but not necessarily "Thunderbolt 3". I know of course that I can go buy the much pricier Glyph and such drives (that are Great), or a technically "Thunderbolt 3" drive that'll likely cost near double or so. Just don't know (or think) I need it. It's mainly for me editing (and possibly also for me tracking solo). So having not run (or using) any sample libraries previously, I just want to be sure that THIS Drive is Great for me and my use!

Thank you!

• Solution

That should be a fine external drive. I have a very large SampleTank (and friends) library of 250+ GB of "stuff". I rolled my own external drive for storing the sample libraries (not Logic files) and was perfectly happy with a USB3 connected SATA speed SSD (500MB/sec tops).

The drive you ask about could get as fast as 1000MB/sec, so faster. It's a fine drive. There are faster drives, but the cost is way higher...

I have a Thunderbolt 3 drive connected, and get write speeds of 1400+ MB/sec, read closer to 1600. Not sure that the performance gain is worth the higher price tag...

If you need a 4GB sample loaded in under 10 seconds multiple times in a session, well, faster is better. If you load the samples once and then work...the "slower" drives are just fine...

• Like 1

I have a Gen 1 SanDisk 1TB SSD and it works great for me. The transfer speed is around 550MB/sec which still loads Kontakt libraries just fine. Albeit, they're not Spitfire orchestral libraries. If you are worried about it being too slow, I would get the SanDisk Extreme Pro which has a transfer rate of 1000MB/sec. I see WorstBuy has them for $349. I would check Amazon or Micro Center to see if they have it cheaper.
  • Like 1

Keep in mind when deciding, though, that you can usually get a LOT more storage for the money with a decent USB 3 2.5" external SATA drive. I use a 5 TB for sample libraries, and another for projects. I haven't had any issues with sample load times. Yeah, an SSD will be faster, but keep in mind that your sample library will grow over time so get as large a drive as you can afford.
  • Like 1

I have a Gen 1 SanDisk 1TB SSD and it works great for me. The transfer speed is around 550MB/sec which still loads Kontakt libraries just fine. If you are worried about it being too slow, I would get the SanDisk Extreme Pro which has a transfer rate of 1000MB/sec.

Just FYI: The Gen2 Extreme matches the original Extreme Pro speed at 1000MBs, while the Gen2 Pro doubles that but Macs can't even run USB 3 that fast.

• Like 1

That should be a fine external drive. I have a very large SampleTank (and friends) library of 250+ GB of "stuff". I rolled my own external drive for storing the sample libraries (not Logic files) and was perfectly happy with a USB3 connected SATA speed SSD (500MB/sec tops).

The drive you ask about could get as fast as 1000MB/sec, so faster. It's a fine drive. There are faster drives, but the cost is way higher...

I have a Thunderbolt 3 drive connected, and get write speeds of 1400+ MB/sec, read closer to 1600. Not sure that the performance gain is worth the higher price tag...

If you need a 4GB sample loaded in under 10 seconds multiple times in a session, well, faster is better. If you load the samples once and then work...the "slower" drives are just fine...

Thank you!

I have a 2 questions I'm listing in it's own reply (below), I'd really Like your opinion. Thanks So much!

ps - I didn't see the 1000MB/s anywhere regarding this drive USB 3.1 Gen 2 (only the newer USB 3.2 Gen 2, $20 more drive - easily worth it I guess if I want that route). https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Portable-External-SDSSDE60-1T00-G25/dp/B08HN37XC1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6I1Pp4wZ_fo2sDRvuDuNv5dRn-mKLCY3VOnYNos58l2EDN-juD7qOwaAs1REALw_wcB&hvadid=409922748133&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9010282&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=9432003835985174987&hvtargid=kwd-351843693809&hydadcr=18034_11397928&keywords=thunderbolt%2B3%2Bssd%2Bdrive&qid=1608449613&s=electronics&sr=1-5&tag=googhydr-20&th=1

Reviews claim that the Gen 2 SanDisk SSDs maintain full speed transfers longer than their competitors (better heat management apparently). They are highly rated. I've got my eye on one for purchase next year, although the seasonal price discounts are tempting.

Thank you!

As in (Both of the types of their drive) USB 3.1 Gen 2 AND USB 3.2 Gen 2?

I have a 2 questions I'm listing in it's own reply (below), I'd really Like your opinion. Thanks So much!

I have a Gen 1 SanDisk 1TB SSD and it works great for me. The transfer speed is around 550MB/sec which still loads Kontakt libraries just fine. If you are worried about it being too slow, I would get the SanDisk Extreme Pro which has a transfer rate of 1000MB/sec.

Thanks!

Just FYI: The Gen2 Extreme matches the original Extreme Pro speed at 1000MBs, while the Gen2 Pro doubles that but Macs can't even run USB 3 that fast.

I saw that, thanks. I see the USB 3.2 (not the 3.1) gen 2 matches the speed at 1,000MB/s. (The 3.1 seems to be at 550MB/s from what I read, I believe).

And WHAT do you mean "Macs can't run USB 3 that fast"? I'm newer to Macs, and I thought I had read that they can run Th B 3 up to 40 and maintain the other speeds via USB 3.2 (gen 2x2) or (gen 2) with eit20/s or 10/s respectively. Like I said, I'm new to Macs so still learning!

Have a 2 questions I'm listing in it's own reply (below), I'd really Like your opinion. Thanks So much!

Appreciate your input. So I guess I have quick follow up questions. I've read a ton on connectivity and speeds and read/write speeds. MY questions (that I didn't find) are just:

1. Having never used any sample libraries before, (as the site says "the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSDs have transfer speeds of upto 550MB/s" in the Q&A), is 500MB/s ABSOLUTELY GREAT (as in no need for higher read or write speed) when using predominantly New Amplitube 5 Max and East/West Hollywood Pop Brass Libraries (and possibly one or two more later), but mainly these 2?! I have no reference for the speeds required for read and write (via an external SSD Drive), so just asking. ANY need for 1,000 MB/s or this is Totally Great (and more than enough)!

2. My New MacBook Pro 16" (late 2019-mid 2020) with Thunderbolt 3/USB C will run the drive (whether it's a 550MB/s or a 1,050MB/s SSD Drive) at its top speed, right?!

Thank you!

I didn't see the 1000MB/s anywhere regarding this drive USB 3.1 Gen 2 (only the newer USB 3.2 Gen 2

Don't get confused over USB nomenclature. 3.1 gen 2 and 3.2 gen 2 are the same thing. The USB consortium should have just kept calling it USB3 and skipped the .1 and .2 designations.

The SanDisk Extreme SSD is spec'ed at "up to 550MB/s read speeds"

The SanDisk Extreme SSD V2 is spec'ed at "1050MB/s read and 1000MB/s write speeds". It's twice as fast.

They look the same and it's easy to get confused when shopping. For the small difference in price it's worth buying the faster V2 because in the future you may need the higher speed.

The Thunderbolt 3 port on a MacBook will run USB 3 drives at speeds up to USB3.2 gen 2...so you will get full speed of the SanDisk Extreme V2. The Tbolt port recognizes the type of peripheral connected and adjusts to Tbolt 1, 2 or 3 or USB 1, 2, 3, or HDMI or Display Port, etc. as appropriate. In other words, connecting a USB drive to the Tbolt 3 port does not give you Tbolt speeds.

The cables that come with the SanDisk Extreme V2 are rated for USB 3.2 gen 2 which is 10mbs, so you will get full performance.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I also chose this SSD for myself, cause access to information can be secured with a special 128-bit password, and all your files will be automatically encrypted. Besides, 3D TLC memory is installed here, as if on the basis of standard TLC, allowing you to save more money, thereby changing the payment yourself.

• Like 1

• David Nahmani changed the title to Is This External SSD Drive Great (& Fast Enough) for What I Need (for storing & using Sample Libraries)