Which internal SSD should I go with on my mid 2012 MBP?

jerrydpi
Go to solution Solved by jerrydpi,

I just received a reply from Shirt Pocket Support, and here what it said:

As indicated in the log:

Copy stopped because the destination drive ejected while SuperDuper! was writing to it. Please check your drive, simplify your connections, restart your Mac and try again.

If you're copying to an SSD, it's quite possible the drive is drawing too much power from the port...especially if it's a hub.

--

Dave Nanian

Shirt Pocket

Unfortunately, I'm not using a hub, so I'm at a loss here as to what to do 🙂

Edited by jerrydpi

45 minutes ago, des99 said:

Your SSD drive is disconnecting, going idle/sleep mode, getting too hot, your Mac ejected it, or a cable connection is dodgy - basically, SD is copying to it, but the drive is going away for some reason.

In fact, just last Sunday I had a very similar experience with a 128GB SanDisk USB stick with a bootable El Capitan installation on it. I haven't used it since about 4 years, so I thought I'd reuse the stick for other purposes, but I wanted to back it up as a disk image and then archive it. Normally this works simply via Disk Utility, but here it failed a few times. So I opted for SuperDuper instead, creating a sparseimage manually. But SuperDuper also stopped the cloning a couple of times because it lost the connection to the stick somehow. But since I have the licensed version, I simply repeated the smart update a couple of times again until all content was copied to the disk image.

Eventually I recalled that back in the day the USB stick was starting to cause me troubles when I booted the MBP from it, with a plenty of beachballs all the time, i.e. signaling that the flash memory is likely failing. That was also one of the reasons I eventually bought the internal 2TB SSD to have multiple bootable partitions directly in the MBP, since the original 750GB HD was getting hopelessly full…

7 minutes ago, jerrydpi said:

It is a 870 EVO.

Hm, that's strange because I quoted "750 EVO" from the log you've posted, i.e. what SuperDuper reads.

2 minutes ago, jerrydpi said:

"If you're copying to an SSD, it's quite possible the drive is drawing too much power from the port...especially if it's a hub."

You put the SSD in an enclosure, right?
Could be that your enclosure is faulty.

Just now, jerrydpi said:

I mistakenly named it 750 EVO 🙂

Hehe, I see.

Just now, jerrydpi said:

How do I tell if the usb enclosure is faulty?

Well, to exclude it's faulty, you should try a different enclosure if you have any. Also try different cables. Make sure these are genuine USB3 cables.

Speaking of enclosures: I don't remember all the details, but it could well be that I used a FireWire 800 enclosure for cloning. There are many scenarios where FireWire is still the king. (Take that, Apple!)

(Speaking of FireWire: One reason I'm hanging onto my trusty old Alesis iO26 interface is that I can hook it up using a 10 m long cable. Bus powered and daisychain the even older M-Audio FW410! Take that USB & Thunderbolt! Sadly, I couldn't make it work on Ventura yet with the hacked FireWire drivers.)

• Solution

Update:

Last night I purchased SuperDuper, and guess what?

It copied my HDD perfectly, non-stop, no pauses, no ejections, no overheating, etc., all with the same usb enclosure 🙂

Thanks again so much to all of you that helped me!

Jerry

Edited by jerrydpi
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update 10/08/23

The new SSD is installed in my MBP, and it's fast as hell now!

LPX works perfectly (it doesn't stop anymore alerting me that there is too much info to be processed), and all browsers work perfectly except Google Chrome.

I deleted it from Applications, restarted the computer, downloaded the newest version of Chrome, but every time I try to launch it, it tries to open for about 30 seconds (I can go to History and try to open my last windows tabs, but it won't open them), but all it does is beachball spinning, and then just quits.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Edited by jerrydpi
Don't know how to type :)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jerrydpi said:

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Apart from that I got rid of Schroogle Chrome many years ago because I don't like to be spied on?
Nah… :D

But if you like Chrome as a "concept", try Brave. I switched from Firefox to Brave while still running El Capitan because they continued to release security updates for a while longer. I like Brave. Also, it syncs nicely with Brave for iOS/iPadOS.

3 minutes ago, loukash said:

Apart from that I got rid of Schroogle Chrome many years ago because I don't like to be spied on?
Nah… 😄

But if you like Chrome as a "concept", try Brave. I switched from Firefox to Brave while still running El Capitan because they continued to release security updates for a while longer. I like Brave. Also, it syncs nicely with Brave for iOS/iPadOS.

I'll try Brave, but that doesn't help me getting Chrome open again so that I can use the History feature 🙂