Fastest external SSD to run Logic and macOS?

Archaeopteryx
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi

I'm replacing my 6 year old iMac and looking for an external SSD upon which I'm going to install Mac OS and Logic.

It's a hardware question but the continuation of a Logic project depends entirely on getting things right.

Can anyone suggest the fastest external SSD I can run both Logic and Mac OS on please? Speed is my primary concern although drive size needs to be taken in to account.

As I say, it's a hardware question but I'm concerned about any hiccups I'm likely to encounter with Logic on a brand-new system 

Thanks

• David Nahmani changed the title to Fastest external SSD to run Logic and macOS?

logic itself gets installed on your mac's drive, but you can place it's content on an external, and, of course, record to that external.

i just got a samsung T7, and it's amazing; fast, small, light ('small' & 'light' don't matter that much, just mentioning it).

8 minutes ago, fisherking said:

logic itself gets installed on your mac's drive, but you can place it's content on an external, and, of course, record to that external.

i just got a samsung T7, and it's amazing; fast, small, light ('small' & 'light' don't matter that much, just mentioning it).

You can install macOS and Logic (and everything else) on an external SSD with no problems

• Like 1

If you have a old iMac, you won't be able to get the fastest current SSD speeds because you don't have an interface that supports it. I'm not even sure if you'll have USB-C or Thunderbolt, so you might be limited to USB 3.2 speeds - in which case, a Samsung T7 or similar is about the fastest you can use.

Do you have USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbit), or just the regular USB 3 (5 Gbit)?

If the latter, you're probably already going as fast as you can go. Have you tried benchmarking your current drive to see where you are now?

• Like 1

• Solution

Basically, your choices are USB vs Thunderbolt for the enclosure/interface (TB ones will be a lot more expensive), and SSD versus NVME (NVME are faster, but also run hotter).

A Samsung T7 (I have two) comes with USB-C cables and over USB 3.2 Gen 2 gets about 700-800 Gbps, so about 80% of the available bandwidth. If your Mac doesn't support Gen 2, then you'll get more like 450 Gbps...

• Like 2

Jumping on this.. I am using the Samsung SSDs. Does anyone else find the USB connection kind of janky?  I know it's a small interface, but I have two, and neither seem to make a solid feeling connection with the plug. It always feels like I'm about to get the "The drive was not ejected correctly..." etc.  Is there a more robust connection we can use for SSD drives?

Thanks

DanRad

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Archaeopteryx said:

I'm just looking around for something faster.

The Samsung X5 is super fast already. What limit are you hitting? 

I have one system where I boot macOS and run Logic from a (much slower) Samsung T7 and it works well. 

When you "run" macOS and Logic Pro from a drive, all you're doing is storing the macOS and Logic Pro code on those drives when not in use, that's all. When you boot your Mac, the macOS code is transferred from the drive to RAM. When you launch Logic Pro, the Logic Pro code is transferred from the drive to RAM. While working on Logic Pro, everything runs from RAM and it no longer matters which drive Logic Pro was. installed on. 

So in that regard, the drive's speed affects only how long it takes for the Mac to boot and for Logic Pro to open. 

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that booting from an external drive is a bit of a PITA for new Macs. Specifically, creating a bootable drive is fairly convoluted:

https://www.macworld.com/article/331916/how-to-start-up-your-m1-mac-from-an-external-drive.html

Also - one crucial performance aspect of the system disk's location is its use as a swap disk: the OS has to store temporary data on the system disk constantly (because there is never enough RAM for it to do what it needs to do). The speed of Mac internal disks is just blazingly fast - 2800 MB/s on my M2 Pro Mini. External disks are not going to run that fast any time soon. 

I'd recommend leaving the OS on the internal disk and putting your stuff, and big things like sample libraries, on the external disk. The Samsung T7 claims a faster transfer rate than I've been able to measure with my Mini (800 MB/s, give or take) so it doesn't make sense to get a disk that's rated faster than that. And that is plenty fast for Logic.

• Like 3

Thanks

Originally, the Mac hard disk just couldn't handle any more than 5 or 6 KONTAKT tracks in Logic before stuttering and eventually freezing.

With the OS and Logic on the Samsung X5, I've been running smoothly for roughly 5 years. My post was a general question about the fastest external SSD because reviews can muddy the waters. 

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not a technical wizard but I certainly know what's worked for me and this has been a very effective solution to my problem. I could be the exception that proves the rule?

Sorry if I didn't explain very well. I appreciate all of your help - I keep copies of all advice received!