Problem with MIDI CC automation using MIDI Controller

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as new to using a MIDI Controller in my production process. I am currently using the Korg nanoKontrol2 and, after a long researching process and much troubleshooting, I have it functioning in the sense that it is reliably controlling CC 1 & 11. I am on the latest version of Logic Pro X and have used this software for about a decade now in my own compositions and other work.

Now for the issue itself. 

I have used the controller to input CC automation as I record, and that works fine. I have also recorded CC separately onto MIDI regions that have already been written, and that works fine. However, for some reason, when I move the faders on my MIDI controller on a virtual instrument track, the CC automation of the whole track changes to where the MIDI controller's faders were set at the time even though no CC automation was recorded. In fact, this was occurring simply during playback when I was testing the levels of the next region I intended to record. On top of that, the automation that was already written was now superficially overwritten without any evidence of any automation taking place, so now when I playback the track, it would all be set to a static level matching the MIDI controllers placements.

Now, I am not overly knowledgable of the different types of automation (read, touch, latch, write, etc.), but I am familiarizing myself with them. For most of my purposes I use either read or touch. When this problem first started occurring, the track was on "read" and I was experimenting with "latch" and "write", but swiftly changed everything back to "read" upon noticing the issue. After returning to "read" mode, the problem persisted and I have since found it impossible to record automation since every time I playback and preface a new section by testing the MIDI CC going in, the whole track is being adjusted, destroying my previous work.

I have some theories on what is happening, but my lack of in-depth knowledge is not conducive to a quick fix.

My thoughts:

1. Perhaps if record is enabled on a track, the MIDI controller changes are seen as the desired level for anything being played back regardless of any recording taking place.

2. It could be that the type of automation I am using is incorrect or having this undesired effect.

3. Maybe the track itself has to have the automation tab set to "region" instead of "track" although I don't believe this should matter as I am not affecting any of the track automation with my specified faders, and there is no automation present in those parameters.

4. I have entered the twilight zone where all forms of logic must be dismissed.

I appreciate any help on this as I am completely self/youtube-taught on the topic of music production. I look forward to learning more about this world.

Thanks,

Chris

2 hours ago, TheAct said:

I am on the latest version of Logic Pro X

Please provide the precise Logic version #.

I’d venture that it has to do with the proper use of the different automation modes…

Sorry to not be at par with your need for help but it’s pretty hard to guess what is actually happening, since I have no clue what you actually did and/or did not.

Perhaps if record is enabled on a track, the MIDI controller changes are seen as the desired level for anything being played back regardless of any recording taking place.

I don’t understand what you mean here…

. It could be that the type of automation I am using is incorrect or having this undesired effect.

That is what I would focus on…

Maybe the track itself has to have the automation tab set to "region" instead of "track" although I don't believe this should matter as I am not affecting any of the track automation with my specified faders, and there is no automation present in those parameters.

CC data is indeed MIDI data recorded in a region.

Be however aware that both TBA and RBA could coexist and influence a track behaviour.

I have entered the twilight zone where all forms of logic must be dismissed.

Logic isn’t bug-free… So it is indeed a possibility.

Edited by Atlas007

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

I am using Logic 10.7.4.

Perhaps if record is enabled on a track, the MIDI controller changes are seen as the desired level for anything being played back regardless of any recording taking place.

In regards to this part, I meant to say that when a virtual instrument track is record enabled, any changes to my faders that control CC 1 & 11 also alter the automation of the entire tracks previously written automation. I can't imagine how to work around this issue as when record is not enabled, I can not write any MIDI live with my keyboard.

It could be that the type of automation I am using is incorrect or having this undesired effect.

I have now tested the different automation types and they each do the same thing to the entire track.

I realize that I may not have illustrated the problem clearly. I will clarify with this example:

I am writing a musical arrangement in which I utilize a lot of brass. The trumpet, for instance, has blaring shots and melodic lines at the start of the piece in which I crank up the mod and expression.

In the following section, they die down a bit closer mf level. When I try to record the automation for this 2nd section of the piece, the end position of the faders upon finishing recording will then, for some reason I can't explain, permeate through every MIDI region previously written.

The 2nd sections automation works as I wrote it, but all recorded automation before that section has now been altered to a static level across the board that matches the current placements of my controllers faders. There is also no evidence in the automation editor of any changes being made, the old automation levels showing, but not being performed.

6 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Be however aware that both TBA and RBA could coexist and influence a track behaviour.

I am not familiar with these acronyms, but will look into it as a possibility that I am somehow recording CC somewhere that I am not aware of at this time.

*edit* as far as I can tell, there is no track automation present, and I do not intend on using any for this MIDI mockup as I will be bouncing it into a new project for mixing.

I appreciate the response and hope that my example has made the problem clearer. I'm honestly very confused as to why this is occurring since it is my understanding that if you do not record new automation, then the MIDI should act as it was initially written.

Looking forward to gaining some more understanding of the software (even if it is a bug).

Edited by TheAct

I'm not quite sure what I did, but it seems to be working again. I ended up starting a new file and re-writing any MIDI I had recorded in the old file without issue. It may have been a corrupted file, or any other number of mistakes I may have made with checking settings but, for now, all is well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheAct said:

I'm not quite sure what I did, but it seems to be working again. I ended up starting a new file and re-writing any MIDI I had recorded in the old file without issue. It may have been a corrupted file, or any other number of mistakes I may have made with checking settings but, for now, all is well.

Great!

• Love 1