Pre-compression on vocals without hardware?

Iscariot13
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi everyone,

I've been researching if it's possible to apply vocal compression using a software compressor within Logic before they're recorded, instead of using a hardware compressor. I've not been able to find a solution yet, so any advice on how to set up the signal routing for this would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by Iscariot13
missed a word

• Iscariot13 changed the title to Pre-compression on vocals without hardware?

Hi,

don’t know how comfortable you are going in the Environment but you create an input Object there and insert a compressor in its Insert slot and select your audio interface’s input as its input. The processing will be printed in the audio coming in.

It’s been a while since i had to use that since I have been using an Apollo system for at least the last 10 years. So, I don’t know if that’s still the way to do but I suspect it is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Iscariot13 said:

I've been researching if it's possible to apply vocal compression using a software compressor within Logic before they're recorded, instead of using a hardware compressor.

Yes you can, but really, there are very few real good reasons to do so, and it *doesn't* do what a hardware compressor before your interface does, in terms of optimising signal to noise ratio.

So you might as well just put plugins on the back end, and therefore non-destructively.

If you really *really* want to do this to save some workflow hours by printing compression destructively into the files, you can do so as described above by @blinkofani - but 99% of people I've seen asking this over the years are trying to replicate people's traditional hardware workflows, and it's not the same, and you shouldn't do it imso without good reason. 😉

Edited by des99

3 minutes ago, des99 said:

Yes you can, but really, there are very few real good reasons to do so, and it *doesn't* do what a hardware compressor before your interface does, in terms of optimising signal to noise ratio.

Thanks for the reply @des99.

Oh, ok. I just wanted to have a fairly controlled recording to begin with, then use compression after, hopefully more effectively on a smoother recording. That's the theory, anyhow. But you're saying even if I set it up as per @blinkofani's suggestion, I'd not get the same result as using a hardware compressor?

What is your opinion regarding gentle pre-compression on vocals in general? I'm just not wanting to spend extra $$$ on a hardware comp if the results are negligible.

Cheers!

20 minutes ago, blinkofani said:

Hi,

don’t know how comfortable you are going in the Environment but you create an input Object there and insert a compressor in its Insert slot and select your audio interface’s input as its input. The processing will be printed in the audio coming in.

It’s been a while since i had to use that since I have been using an Apollo system for at least the last 10 years. So, I don’t know if that’s still the way to do but I suspect it is.

Thanks for this! I'm not a huge fan of Logic's environment, but will fiddle with it if I need to. I'll wait see what folks think before I do anything.

• Solution
10 minutes ago, Iscariot13 said:

I just wanted to have a fairly controlled recording to begin with, then use compression after, hopefully more effectively on a smoother recording.

Sure. But in sound terms, there's no difference putting the compressor you would have put on pre-recording, as the compressor on the first insert slot - with the advantage that you can change or un-do it after the fact. CPU power is not really an issue here these days...

But you're saying even if I set it up as per @blinkofani's suggestion, I'd not get the same result as using a hardware compressor?

You'd still end up with a compressed recording, so that part is still the same. But traditionally, the reason people would often lightly compress on the way in, other than to get some of the "character" of a compressor, was to help optimise the dynamic range of a vocal (which can be widely dynamic), when recording onto a reduced-dynamic range medium.

These days, 24-bit recording and widely dynamic convertors mean we don't have to try to get the highest signal level possible without clipping, so the need to reduce the dynamic on the way in is no longer a technical necessity. And whatever "character" you need can be added by plugins (or re-amping through hardware if you want) post-recording.

What is your opinion regarding gentle pre-compression on vocals in general? I'm just not wanting to spend extra $$$ on a hardware comp if the results are negligible.

I'd mostly record flat, and do what I need post-record. I have had vocal-type preamps etc in the past, but even then, I never used the analog compression once we'd all moved to the DAW. If I had a super-high end vocal front end, it's possible I *might* lightly compress a vocal, but it would be mostly for safety, or character, not workflow, and these safety precautions are as I explained really unnecessary these days.

Unless you are going for high end units, you won't get much benefit over sticking with good plugins, imo - save your money, hardware is not a magic bullet. If you spend four grand on a Manley or something, then I'm sure you'll think your vocals sound better, because they all went through an expensive unit, rather than a huge sound-quality difference! 😉

I'm not saying don't buy a nice hardware unit if you want to, but be realistic about your expectations. There are factors that will make much more of a difference to your vocal recordings than the pre-amp, and hardware compression on the way in.

(And I'm not saying don't try it and experiment with this approach - UAD Apollos let you print UAD plugins as you record too - but for the most part, it's a choice that can result in recordings that are printed with bad compression settings.)

Edited by des99