Playback in Mix Much Quieter than Monitoring while Recording

heyrhea

Hello all,

I'm recording in Logic Pro X with a pretty simple set up. I have a Neumann mic going into a Universal Audio preamp, that goes through a little Focusrite interface into my MacBook Pro. I've been recording no problem for a long time until this week. Something is going on. When I record something through the mic, it sounds completely normal through the headphones/monitoring, but then when I play it back the instrument/voice is quiet and there's a fuzzy white noisy kind of sound...I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware. Can someone support me with ideas for troubleshooting? THANK YOU!!!!!!

Restarted computer/Logic?

For troubleshooting purposes try another interface at a friend’s place if you can. Your recording supposed to sound exactly how it sounded while recording.

Maybe you accidentally changed to ‘pre fader recording’ in settings.  Not sure where that is, i am away from my computer. 

Just guesses to het you started. 

1 hour ago, heyrhea said:

When I record something through the mic, it sounds completely normal through the headphones/monitoring, but then when I play it back the instrument/voice is quiet and there's a fuzzy white noisy kind of sound...I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware.

I'd first check all the cable connections along the audio signal path for good measure just to ensure there isn't possibility of a ground loop entering the signal. When I hear the description of "fuzzy white noise" that would be the first area to check just as a general good measure.

Presuming that your +48 phantom power is always engaged, have you looked at the signal level and what it's reading in Logic when you're recording vs. what your hardware meters are registering? Although there is little to no real concern in the Digital realm with respect to the noise floor, still if the signal going in is very low you could still potentially pickup inherent noise from the HW.

Those are just a couple of basic places to start. There are certainly other options to identify the issue but best to start from the least intrusive measures first.

I'm not that familiar with Focusrite interface and been years since I had one, but is there a hardware reset option available?

Lastly, was there anything in particular that you remember that may have changed from the time it was seemingly working fine for you?