Logic Book (free video sample)

David Nahmani

So I just got dave's book in the mail yesterday. I've been using logic daily for the last three years so I feel like i know the program pretty well. In the first two pages I have already learned several cool shortcuts. The first few chapters seem to be geared towards people just getting their feet wet but, at the same time they all have good real world applications and show good technique and work flow. Scanning towards the end of the book there seems to be a lot more advanced sections. I have to say that this book is going to be a great learning tool both for me (a fairly advanced user) and will be indespensible for anyone just getting into this program. It feels much more digestible than the manual and more about making music than I've seen in many of the tutorials I've watched about logic.

I have to say that the teaching style and the focus on real world applications makes this book one of the most effective teaching tools for learning a DAW. I'm blown away by how many things in this book I already know thanks to reading practically everyone of Dave's (and others) posts on this site and still surprised by how many cool workflow and techniques improvements I have already seen in the first few chapters. You can really tell that Dave used the input from this site and his workshops to write a book geared toward the producer/ musician/ engineer not the software geek. Can't thank you enough dave, with each tip and hint I learn you make it easier to focus on producing music.

Bless

Dave

Dave, that's an awesome review, thank you so much! Now if only you could post it on Amazon :wink: ...

Ok, great! I just got my copy in the mail. Now what do I have to do, read it or something? Are there any video tutorials I can get on how to use this book? I'm not naive enough to believe that just owning it will enable me to utilize the information in it but there must be a short cut or some faster way than to actually read and study it, right? Maybe there's an update I have to wait for or should I just complain to Apple? Is anybody else having this trouble or is it just me? I'm running 10.4.9 now, but will this book work in Leopard or will it require a driver update? It looks really nice and rectangular but I don't want to open it up and screw something up if I don't understand what I'm doing. I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but when it comes to books I'm just such a total noob. - Emile

Ok, great! I just got my copy in the mail. Now what do I have to do, read it or something? Are there any video tutorials I can get on how to use this book? I'm not naive enough to believe that just owning it will enable me to utilize the information in it but there must be a short cut or some faster way than to actually read and study it, right? Maybe there's an update I have to wait for or should I just complain to Apple? Is anybody else having this trouble or is it just me? I'm running 10.4.9 now, but will this book work in Leopard or will it require a driver update? It looks really nice and rectangular but I don't want to open it up and screw something up if I don't understand what I'm doing. I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but when it comes to books I'm just such a total noob. - Emile

Here is a tutorial video on how to use the book:

jealous!

I pre-ordered ages ago but Amazon's estimate is suggesting I might not get it until after christmas.

That's what they told me too. I called up Amazon's instant customer service & politely but very persistently kept telling them that some people had already received theirs & it was a shame Amazon would lose all that xmas-time business. The rep kept saying it wasn't out yet & that they didn't have it yet. I kept saying there must be someone there who knows about this. Didn't get anywhere.

2 days later they emailed me that it's been shipped. Maybe they just got it or maybe it just helps to make some (civilized) noise.

Hi David,

I'm just reading through the book now which I'm anticipating using for our students next quarter.

Two quick questions.

1) How do you like your last name pronounced.

2) The Getting Started section says: "The exercises in this book require that you install Logic Studio with all the Logic Studio Content..."

oy .... that's 40+ GB, which is why I avoided putting it on my laptop.

We'll have 5 stations with Logic Express (which hasn't come in yet so I don't know if that has smaller content...)

Do your exercises require all of the content or is there some of it we can forgo?

Thanks,

Ty

1) Pretty much like you would say "nominee".

2) There's a special section for Express users, who have less content (no jam packs for example). You have to drag and drop a folder of apple loops to index them. If you do that you should be fine. Any missing content you can easily find in the "Media" folder, by opening any of the projects, so I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

Worse case scenario if a channel strip setting is missing from your install you could always complete the exercise with another.

Mmm hello!

I'm so happy to see good comments on the book! Will be my first Logic training book, didn't know what to expect from it, but it looks like its well worth it! :)

Just checked and my copy is somewhere in the vicinity of France right now... if only it will arrive ASAP in South Africa! (apparently it arrives in 3 days)

Really sad that there aren't any training places for Logic here in South Africa. Feel like a travelling to Cape Town David? :P

Anyhow can't wait for the book...

Picked mine up from the store today, looks great!

Really looking forward to getting a look into a few pro projects and the time management advise is much needed.

The help i've received via this forum has been priceless, so weighing out 50 bucks for this is only a small contribution in return...........

so, I make that - $priceless minus $54.99 = i.o.u :D

I'm not quite finished with it yet, but David Nahmani's new book is absolutely outstanding. I highly recommend it.

First off, the book is really well written. I'm occasionally involved in the production of software training materials myself, and I really appreciate how well this course is put together. The pace is good. The examples are nicely chosen. The topics are well sequenced. The step-by-step instructions are idiot proof without being tedious.

I've been using Logic 7 and 8 on and off for a couple of years now (a DP user for many years before that). I've read the LP8 manual pretty much cover to cover. I've even taken some of the macProVideo training. (Their 101 course for LP8 makes a pretty good introduction to Logic Pro.)

So, my expectation for David's book was that I would just be reinforcing the things I already knew, and that at most I'd maybe pick up a tip or two to improve my workflow. I really didn't think there was much more I would learn about the product.

But boy was I wrong! It seems like every few pages I find myself saying, wow, that's cool, I didn't know you could do that. :o

The only problem is that I keep getting so many good ideas while I'm reading the book that it takes me a long time to get through each chapter. I keep wandering off and exploring new ways of working, remapping the key commands and trackball buttons to make better use of my deeper understanding of the program, etc.

The end result for me is that Logic seems much more transparent. I feel like I can now work directly on the musical content in my project, instead of being always aware that I'm operating indirectly on the music via a tool.

The end result for me is that Logic seems much more transparent. I feel like I can now work directly on the musical content in my project, instead of being always aware that I'm operating indirectly on the music via a tool.

Well Theus, thank you so much for your review! I really appreciate it. This last sentence of you I quoted here makes me especially proud, as that pretty much sums up the goal I had when writing the book!!!

PS: If you have an Amazon account, please do post your reviews on the Amazon page for my book! Thanks!

You should be able to purchase the book in any major bookstore (Barnes and Noble, Borders... ). I would recommend calling your local store first to make sure they have it in stock. Otherwise you can simply order it online from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Logic-Express/dp/0321502922/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198405732&sr=1-1

Dumb question...

I'm just starting the book...chapter one. Key commands. I'm on a laptop.

'Go to Beginning' says 'unassigned' for laptop. Laptop has a return/enter key (the usual one) and an 'enter' key next the 'apple' key on the right side bottom.

Hitting the return key stops it, like it says, but hitting it a second time makes it 'Go to Beginning' Thats no matter. My real question is whats 'FUNCTION-Shift-Return' for example.....or 'FUNCTION-Return? What function? A function key, I presume?

Which function key? There's 12 of them! :?

Very dumb question, I realize..sorry. :oops:

Thanks for the book, by the way. :)

Are these kinds of books lucrative? I'm just being nosey.

That Trip Hop jungle beat has a bit of distortion in it thats driving me nuts. I can't tell whether its part of the 'style' or just a bad sample. Sorry for what sounds like bitchin'..its for amusement purposes only

The "function" key is the key labeled "fn" at the bottom left of your keyboard. The distortion you hear in the Apple Loop is in the Kick sample, which is supposed to sound like that: it sounds like a sample from a vinyl record. If it really drives you nuts you could always choose another drum sound, using another Channel Strip Setting for example, or another trip hop loop! I chose those loops because they sound good together and make up a nice little groovy trip hop song, but I do encourage you to substitute the loops for the ones you prefer!

Ahhh, I see it. I'm sorry to bother, this is my first laptop and even though I've been on a mac desktops for over 10 years, I never really got into any depth with key commands or the OS (my bad..and loss)

I never new this 'fn' key existed. But now that you pointed it out..there it is! :wink:

Your tutorial song is cool just the way it is. My ears are just too sensitive to distortions and stuff....playing a guitar through an amp and hearing any cab buzzes or rattles or whathaveyou distracts me.

I tend to hear all kinds of weird stuff going on in audio. Don't get me started on the all the digital garbage I hear on my guitar modelers....

heheheh

I'm really enjoying your book! I think I might actually learn me something here.....so I thank you for that. :D

Ahhh, completed lesson 1. :D

I ran into a few things that perplex me.

1) bottom pg29, #8. Having the adjustment menu set to 'bar', like it says to do, placed copies of the strings and guitar next to each other. I changed it to 'auto' instead, and it did the repeats in alternating fashion like its supposed to.

2) In the mixing section: Changing the strings fader volume to '-11'. It won't let you. Even when I type in the exact number will only go from -10.9 to -11.2.

I think there was a thread somewhere about these faders not being precise. Shouldn't they be?

3) While looping the strings and guitar region while mixing. (there is no elect. piano regions in this area...only before and after)

You are asked to select an elect piano region and then do a 'play from select'. I happen to select a piano region right after the loop (at bar 15). It wouldn't play.

But when I selected a piano region BEFORE the loop (at bar 5) that did play. Why is this?

Much thanks...Happy holidays :D