Logic Book (free video sample)

David Nahmani

I also got the follow-up book for Logic, and unfortunately I cannot say the same for it. A true disappointment. Sorry to the other author, just giving my honest 3 cents...

That was a question I had, if the follow-up book was as good as this one.... Maybe 'our' David needs to write a follow-up book himself!

Any impressions on the "beyond the basics" book yet?

I just ordered both from Peachpit, though...

EDIT: Oh, I must be blind. Just saw the comment on the second book above. Too bad. I hope that there is something useful in it.

Please post your findings!

I'm working my way through David's excellent new Logic Pro 8 book (page 264) and, when trying to create blue Apple Loops, I'm unable to select either the TYPE or SCALE in the Apple Loops Library dialog. (I've tried several times, cross-referenced the User Manual, etc...) All other elements in the dialog are available…

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

I'm working my way through David's excellent new Logic Pro 8 book (page 264) and, when trying to create blue Apple Loops, I'm unable to select either the TYPE or SCALE in the Apple Loops Library dialog. (I've tried several times, cross-referenced the User Manual, etc...) All other elements in the dialog are available…

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Unfortunately a new bug in 8.0.1 (the exercise works fine in 8.0). I don't have a surefire workaround yet. You may want to read this, but this workaround did not work for me.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=19207

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Unfortunately a new bug in 8.0.1 (the exercise works fine in 8.0). I don't have a surefire workaround yet. You may want to read this, but this workaround did not work for me.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=19207

Thanks, David! (And sorry for posting that question in this thread; it was not intentional.)

Your new Logic Pro 8 book is very helpful, educational, and well put together. Ditto this forum… Thanks for being there!

awesome :) i kind of got sold by all the reviews above and this forum in the week i have had lp8 has already proven a great find, so i thought i'd show some support, im excited to get the book :)

are there actual "music making techniques" or is the focus mainly on teaching the program functions? kind of a broad question i know lol also is there a focus on a particular style? im mostly into dance music when it comes down to music production...

awesome :) i kind of got sold by all the reviews above and this forum in the week i have had lp8 has already proven a great find, so i thought i'd show some support, im excited to get the book :)

are there actual "music making techniques" or is the focus mainly on teaching the program functions? kind of a broad question i know lol also is there a focus on a particular style? im mostly into dance music when it comes down to music production...

The focus is definitely on music production, with quite a few music making techniques. All of this just as an excuse to learn Logic. The music projects you'll be working on range from trip hop to soul to pop/rock to dance music and a little car commercial toward the end of the book.

With no offense to David (who we already know is awesome just for running this site!!!) can someone post an honest review of the book? I read and returned the first in the Logic7 series because it was just too simple. I really enjoyed the Advanced book, but part 1 was a waste of time.

Is that the case here as well?

-Mike

This book is A LOT different from the 7 certification book. If you are looking to dive right into projects and begin using key commands right away and learn a few more advanced things, I think you'll be happy with the lessons for this book. The projects you work on in the lessons are much less corny than the ones from Logic 7. You'll notice right away that the book is very straightforward and to the point.

I really liked the Logic 7 manual (I was TRULY a beginner when I got the book and began working in logic) and for me, it was the best training book I have ever used. I think this one is great too.

The only thing to be aware of is that they will probably be making some revisions soon. I have been making notes in the book where I find errors; for example, in a hierarchy menu I have seen "Songs Settings" referred to as opposed to "Project Settings". If you are buying the book to aid you in getting certified, failing to notice those oversights could trip you up on the exam.

I'll be taking my cert. test in a few weeks- so I guess THAT will be the real test to my opinion on the book. If I pass, it's GOOD. If I fail, welll...!

If I pass, it's GOOD. If I fail, welll...!

I hope you PASS!! :wink:

Thanks for brining that up, although those little differences between 8.0 and 8.0.1 should not be a problem when taking the exam. I will look into it, and like I said we are working on an internet update for the book, showing those differences and some measures to take to work with them. If you don't mind, please do share whatever you find with me so I don't miss anything.

PS: Song settings = Project settings, they should now all be called Project settings. In Logic 7, a Logic file was a "song", in Logic 8 it's called a "project", but sometimes all the mentions of the name "song" don't disappear right away in early 8 versions.. no big deal. But please do let me know where the mistake is so I can add it to the online update. Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for brining that up, although those little differences between 8.0 and 8.0.1 should not be a problem when taking the exam. I will look into it, and like I said we are working on an internet update for the book, showing those differences and some measures to take to work with them. If you don't mind, please do share whatever you find with me so I don't miss anything.

PS: Song settings = Project settings, they should now all be called Project settings. In Logic 7, a Logic file was a "song", in Logic 8 it's called a "project", but sometimes all the mentions of the name "song" don't disappear right away in early 8 versions.. no big deal. But please do let me know where the mistake is so I can add it to the online update. Thanks!

Thanks!

THANKS! I plan to pass ;)

I spoke to my teacher today about the errors and he said that contacting Peachpit Press (who is local- I'm in the east bay) could be a good route. I almost sent you a message earlier today, but thought that it might come off asshole'ish and decided not to! But now that I know... Get ready haha!

I'm really liking the book. I was against MIDI (I had that "organic instrument" mentality) before becoming a beginning logic user several months ago. I tell my family that every day I struggle to become more of a technical geek. Having a good book that teaches practical workflow techniques has helped me immeasurably! I would be totally intimidated if I didn't have this book by my side. While I have briefly flipped the pages of the manual, I would definitely say your book is nicer to look at.

Kodus on the book & thanks for running the forum. I have plans to geek out here...!

Thanks!

THANKS! I plan to pass ;)

I spoke to my teacher today about the errors and he said that contacting Peachpit Press (who is local- I'm in the east bay) could be a good route. I almost sent you a message earlier today, but thought that it might come off asshole'ish and decided not to! But now that I know... Get ready haha!

I'm really liking the book. I was against MIDI (I had that "organic instrument" mentality) before becoming a beginning logic user several months ago. I tell my family that every day I struggle to become more of a technical geek. Having a good book that teaches practical workflow techniques has helped me immeasurably! I would be totally intimidated if I didn't have this book by my side. While I have briefly flipped the pages of the manual, I would definitely say your book is nicer to look at.

Kodus on the book & thanks for running the forum. I have plans to geek out here...!

Oh, we all love geeking all over the place.

I think we need a janitor, as sometimes it can get quite bad.

I'm ready! Sending them to Peachpit is fine but by the time they get to me... probably faster to simply send them directly to me, and then I'll give them my updates.