Logic Book (free video sample)

David Nahmani

Finally got mine from Amazon, yippee! I can tell right away how well-thought-out the lessons are. Even though I'm familiar w/what's covered, yeah, it still opens up some new tips I didn't know.

Alack & alas, I've experienced a weird & repeatable bug trying to do Lesson 1, p. 21, step 4 (drag Bright Tone Bass toward the right). It refuses to do click & drag at all & no little yellow help tags are displayed, but suddenly everything starts madly scrolling at top speed & stops at measure 130. Anywhere I try to move the pointer in the Arrange background, this happens (not even clicking!). Then Logic freezes, I can't open any menus, & the whole system locks up. I've tried closing & deleting the file & reopening another & starting from scratch a couple times but still the same thing happens.

WTF? I am really hoping to get down with this book but this has me stuck. Is there some possible glitch in the demo files, or is it my system?

(FYI, I have 17" late 2006 imac Core 2 duo 2.0 & 1G RAM, & Tascam FW-1082 as control surface. Recording to system drive (2/3 full) & backing up to a Glyph external.) Logic 8.0 & OSX 10.4.11.

Thanks, David, but that is what I did as per your instructions so I could follow the lessons. I did have to go back & re-setup my control surface/interface preferences but that is nothing new; I have to do that & restart nearly every time I run logic to get it to recognize the thing. I wonder if doing that so much has fragged something. Oh, yeah, I also repaired permissions but it didn't help.

My system does seem unstable, though. Even the dock is acting weird. Any other ideas? Do you think my system disk is too full to act right? Might have to take it in to the local Apple "geniuses" :roll:

bjs, are you on Express or Pro? On Pro, Lesson 1 does not use any of the book's file, only the default template and some Apple Loops that are installed by Logic Studio's installer. If you feel your system is unstable I would refer to chapter 12 (Troubleshooting) and/or start a new thread on this forum so we can help you troubleshoot.

Well, seems Santa dropped a copy in my lap!

I have done tech edits for Thomson (PT stuff), and used PT for years. Moving to Logic..erm, rather, ADDING Logic 8 as an alternate option has been interesting. Trying to find ways to recreate the PT workflows in Logic is frustrating at best, and once someone points out to you just how ridiculous it is to do get into Logic by doing that...well...

I began reading the book yesterday evening, and made it about 1/4 of the way thru. Granted, I am not sitting in front of Logic booted on a system..but the book is AMAZING. It is the best written "learn this app" book I have read. Ever (yes, I will do an Amazon review when I finish..my first). The push to use keyboard shortcuts from the first bits of the first chapter; the lack of trying to impart the technical side of digital audio in a book that is SOOO not geared for that, and the simple statement, "..never forget to use your ears and trust them as the final judge of your work" made me smile BIG time. Finally someone got it right. (oops- there is a C++ book that is as well done...as well done as C++ education can be at least ;) )

I love that the chapters take a single project and work thru building it up. The screenshots are priceless and well placed, allowing the reader to see what is going on. Short of a video tutorial, this is excellent "show n tell." Actually, I prefer this to a video tutorial, as I can plop the book down, open to a section, and refer to it as I try things out. I already feel more comfortable using Logic now, and still have most of the book to go. I have "cheated" and looked ahead, and cannot wait to get there.

As someone coming from HEAVY use of Pro Tools for years (PARIS before that), I would suggest (like Tony Soprano and Co. might..erm.."suggest" ;) ) that anyone who is coming from Pro Tools (or other app) FORGET how they worked, pick up this book, and start from scratch..Chapter 1, first page. Work thru it, then reread it..more than once. As I have read thru, I have found workflows and techniques that resemble things I would do in PT. Instead of trying to figure out how to do what I did in PT in Logic, I am learning techniques that David thinks will empower the new/moderate Logic user to get going doing various tasks...and along the way, alot of, "AHA!"'s as I see the correlation between them and PT workflows. Initially, I figure I would simply choose a PT workflow, and try to find the equivalent in the book, or manual. Hehehe...yeah, not the best idea.

I hope the rest of the book does not make me eat these words. I HIGHLY doubt it will. Excellent book, well written and illustrated. Will be awhile before it is gathering dust on any of my shelves! :D

(btw- I write mostly prog rock type music, no use of loops...this book transcends specific genres/styles. Chapter 1 elicited a wicked groan when Apple loops were used; that groan turned to a huge smile when I realize those loops were being used as building blocks to lay down a strong foundation. Sorry- I am just seriously impressed... I will stop babbling now...)

...I write mostly prog rock type music, no use of loops...

A 'green' Apple Loop is not just a loop but also can be a part/composition idea you saved yourself for later use!

It's an excelent book. My way is to read the chapters first without beeing behind a computer and then exercise through them with Logic to get the techniques and shortcuts learned. Never knew it was so easy to edit audio in Logic :)

bjs, are you on Express or Pro? On Pro, Lesson 1 does not use any of the book's file, only the default template and some Apple Loops that are installed by Logic Studio's installer. If you feel your system is unstable I would refer to chapter 12 (Troubleshooting) and/or start a new thread on this forum so we can help you troubleshoot.

D'oh! Turns out it was a busted button on my trackball... :oops:

One should never let a 3-year-old play with one's toys...

Now I am happily going through the book & learning how much there really is to love in Logic. David's teaching style is brilliant in that not only does it teach you the nuts-&-bolts "how-to" step by step, but it also teaches you good work habits without you even realizing it. Kudos, David; I agree with Nikki that this is one of the best hands-on instruction books ever. You make it look easy. Which makes me want to make music!

:D

Hi all,

Just got my copy and dived right into it. :)

Just excellent, the book I was hoping for, and even more! A hands-on manual that REALLY gets you going. Instead of dwelling into technical definitions, scientific explanations, and not demonstrating how you can achieve something, the book does an awesome job at going to the point without neglecting its technical aspects. This is how a manual should be.

(Are your reading this, software manual writers all over the world???)

Thanks David for the great job.

ManoFra

As long as I'm commenting on the book-

I'd like to also alert other technical writers to use David's book as an example...

A KEY ingredient is an excellent INDEX!

That is where most of us go when we're stuck..and David's is excellent. Some Yamaha and Roland manuals have NO index! Crazy.

I'm ordering book #2 as we speak.

NW

P.S. David-I've converted 2 of the 3 Spinal Tap guys to LP8 and your book...Mr. St. Hubbins is still lagging (I think it's something to do with his wife)

I got Logic Studio a couple of weeks ago, and David's book came on Monday, and after struggling with ProTools and Ableton Live for a few months, I feel like I'm in paradise! Logic is a dream and the book makes learning it so much fun that I'm playing around a lot along the way--only up to Lesson 6, where I encountered a problem. On page 218 I'm supposed to select 04 Logic Legacy Kits, and it isn't there :cry: My list only goes to 03 Tutorial Settings. I did a default install, where did I go wrong?

I'll try to fake it with another kit, but I feel like I must be missing out on something wonderful. Any clues?

I'm so grateful for the book I'm struggling not to get too effusive, here.

Thanks,

Norm

David,

When I open the books' lesson files, the arrange window opens too wide for my screen and bleeds off the right side. I have to grab the title bar and slide the window to the left so that I can access the right side to size it down. Even if I save it that way, it still opens too wide the next time. I am not 100% sure, but I think it might have started happening after I installed the update to LE 8.0.1. I have a 19 inch screen and the arrange window opens to the width of a cinema display. I am sure there is an easy "fit to screen" solution, but I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob P

PS. I love the book. It is very well thought out.

David,

When I open the books' lesson files, the arrange window opens too wide for my screen and bleeds off the right side. I have to grab the title bar and slide the window to the left so that I can access the right side to size it down. Even if I save it that way, it still opens too wide the next time. I am not 100% sure, but I think it might have started happening after I installed the update to LE 8.0.1. I have a 19 inch screen and the arrange window opens to the width of a cinema display. I am sure there is an easy "fit to screen" solution, but I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob P

PS. I love the book. It is very well thought out.

Please make sure you read the Getting Started! For certain screen sizes you will just have to reposition and resize the window.

Does the book get into using logic with external midi synths at all? I found that the 7 series didn't which was frustrating for me as before I ever got a computer I had hardware synths. I know the trend today is all software based, but I recall that Logics strength in the past was its midi with external hardware. By the time I got around to it it was version 6 and already most books and tutorials did not really get into the concept of how someone would use logic with their hardware. I have had a hard time committing myself to learning Logic because I cant seem to get the work flow going in the manner I would like - Mainly getting my hardware synths into logic in a clean fashion.

More problems :? I'm on the Hyper Editor section of chapter 6, and I'm getting what seems to me erratic behavior. About half the notes I click on in the editor window don't make any sound and remain unselected, but if I click on the same note in the event list, I hear the sound and the note is selected. I can work that way, I suppose, but it's a bit inconvenient, and I'm wondering what's happening. Is it some peculiarity of my system? My mouse? Is Logic buggy? Or have I done something unknowingly in Logic that produces this behavior?

Should I post this here or in another forum?

Thanks,

Norm

More problems :? I'm on the Hyper Editor section of chapter 6, and I'm getting what seems to me erratic behavior. About half the notes I click on in the editor window don't make any sound and remain unselected, but if I click on the same note in the event list, I hear the sound and the note is selected. I can work that way, I suppose, but it's a bit inconvenient, and I'm wondering what's happening. Is it some peculiarity of my system? My mouse? Is Logic buggy? Or have I done something unknowingly in Logic that produces this behavior?

Should I post this here or in another forum?

Thanks,

Norm

This seems to be a bug in Logic's hyper editor with notes that are not exactly on the beat or the division. I have reported it to Apple, but please do the same: http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html - the more people report it the better our chances of them fixing it.

I suppose that's a better problem to have than one that would mean I'd have to buy a new computer :wink: I'll certainly let Apple know it's a problem. Thanks for the quick reply. It keeps me from pulling any more of my already sparse hair out. :)

I really appreciate your being available with so many ready answers. Apple should be paying you big bucks.

Thanks again,

Norm

Well I finished it. I stick to what I said- best "Learn X by Reading this Book" I have come across for ANY app. Will definitely reread a few more times to cement some great ideas, workflows, and key commands in.

I also got the follow-up book for Logic, and unfortunately I cannot say the same for it. A true disappointment. Sorry to the other author, just giving my honest 3 cents...