Logic Book (free video sample)

David Nahmani

Been working with Logic for a few years now and am curiously looking at this book to learn a few basic tricks I'm certain to have missed. My biggest question is the use of Key Commands. A while ago I adapted BT's Universal Key Commands (through the very suggestion at this forum) and want to know if I'll be lost in any places throughout the book using a different set of Key Commands than Logic's default set.

Thanks!

In the book, I never rely solely on key commands, but first indicate the menu function, then in between parenthesis indicate the key command. So you could follow the menu path and look at the key command YOU have on your system, and use that instead of mine. If you don't have a key command for that function, hold Control as you select the menu, and that will select that key command in the Key Commands window, so you can assign it.

When I use a key command that doesn't have an equivalent button or menu, I give you the name of the key command so you can search your key command for that particular key command and see its assignment.

In the book, I never rely solely on key commands, but first indicate the menu function, then in between parenthesis indicate the key command. So you could follow the menu path and look at the key command YOU have on your system, and use that instead of mine. If you don't have a key command for that function, hold Control as you select the menu, and that will select that key command in the Key Commands window, so you can assign it.

When I use a key command that doesn't have an equivalent button or menu, I give you the name of the key command so you can search your key command for that particular key command and see its assignment.

Awesome! Thanks for the speedy reply, David. Going to do a search of my local Borders and see what I can find! I figure it's the least I can do just for all the knowledge I've gained here over the last couple years!

Bought the book and had a quick flick through. Looks great.

Just wanted clarify the issue about installing all 40GB of extra stuff which at the start of the book it says you must do...

My laptop only has about 3GB spare at the moment so do I definitely need to install the additional content? Got Logic Pro btw. I've been hankering after the new Hitachi 200GB 7200rpm drive for a while now and this might push me over the edge. :wink: However; that won't arrive for weeks and I want to get into the book now so some clarification would be nice!

Cheers and congrats on the great book.

My laptop only has about 3GB spare at the moment so do I definitely need to install the additional content? Got Logic Pro btw. I've been hankering after the new Hitachi 200GB 7200rpm drive for a while now and this might push me over the edge. :wink: However; that won't arrive for weeks and I want to get into the book now so some clarification would be nice!

Cheers and congrats on the great book.

You can get away without the extra content, you just might be missing some of the specific instruments I suggest using for the lessons. But you can replace them with other instruments you have available. For Lesson 6 (drum programming), you can just use the file I provide for Express users.

Hi David, i've been working through your book and its been a great help to me, it's really opened my eyes to the endless possibilities of Logic and i'm not so scared (not literally) of using certain functions now.

I'm currently working through lesson 7, manipulating tempo and time stretching/working with Apple loops.

I've run into a problem. When trying to create an Apple loop using Region>Add to Apple Loop Library (after selecting a perfect 2 bar loop with the Marquee tool), the Type parameter is dimmed, so i can't select Looping.

You mention that this will happen if the number of bars in a region is not a whole integer, but thats not the case (help tag reads 5 1 1 1 - 7 1 1 1).

Any ideas?

Yeah, thats the funny thing, I can set the Region with full tick resolution, but when I try to turn it into an Apple Loop, the Type option is still dimmed out.

Then I check the region with the Resize tool and its set at 2 0 0 2.

Weird :?

Well another way would be to open the Event List (press E), make sure you're looking at the regions (press the hierarchy button = the bent arrow at the top left). When you select your region in the Arrange area it gets selected in the Event List. Double-click the length value, type 2 and press Enter. Then try to convert into an apple loop from the Arrange area.

Okay, i've got it sorted out.

I had the Search Zero Crossings function ticked in LMB/Audio menu.

As usual the operator is at fault :oops:

Thanks for your tips.

One thing (amongst others) your book has taught me, is that the interaction between various functions is extremely flexible and becoming familiar with these functions is very important. I used to skip over a lot of functions, but have now discovered that i'm doing certain things in a very roundabout way.

Keep up the good work! :)

Got my copy last week.

While I feel like a bratty snob admitting this, most of this material I already knew.

HOWEVER.

I've been using Logic for 10 years and I've read a lot of instructional literature and watched many training videos. Some of these were on VHS with the english accented guy who is now working for PT (Phil Jackson I think?), and more recently MPV.

This book is by far the most interesting, and in depth crash course I've seen on Logic yet.

For beginners; I envy you. I WISH I had a book like this when I started.

For seasoned users; It's worth picking it up. There are always little things that we take for granted that this book can teach you.

Thanks to this book I've given up my key commands (loosely based on PT and BT's key commands). I'm now also utilizing tools I previously avoided like the Hide Function, and the underestimated Marquee tool.

Interesting side note; someone approached me at a sushi cafe as I was reading this book and asked me about my involvement with Logic. Within 10 minutes we exchanged cards and I got a solid lead on some additional production work.

This book carries good karma! 8)

This book carries good karma!

Hehehe... I packed it full of good karma! 8)

Thanks for the amazing review! I didn't even think you would buy it at your level, so I'm glad it helped you anyway.

Don't forget to post your good comments on Amazon, it helps a lot! http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Logic-Express/dp/0321502922/

Hi David,

Thanks for activating me and welcoming me to the community. Congrats on your book. It's pretty elementary in tone but it's serving my purpose well....which is to make me think in "Logic" terms. I went out and bought it as soon as I found out about it, and that's why I'm writing. I thought you'd get a kick out of where I found about it. It was the subject of a post on the Digidesign Users Conference at the Digidesign website! :D It just goes to show, you never know where your fans will come from.

Cheers.....another David

Thanks for activating me and welcoming me to the community. Congrats on your book. It's pretty elementary in tone but it's serving my purpose well....which is to make me think in "Logic" terms. I went out and bought it as soon as I found out about it, and that's why I'm writing. I thought you'd get a kick out of where I found about it. It was the subject of a post on the Digidesign Users Conference at the Digidesign website! :D It just goes to show, you never know where your fans will come from.

You're welcome. And... the DUC? Wow... long time I haven't set foot over there.... funny story!

Hi David,

Cheers.....another David

That wasn't my post, was it? The thread I got accused of "being a troll from the LPH site" was it? Hehehe...

That wasn't my post, was it? The thread I got accused of "being a troll from the LPH site" was it? Hehehe...

Yeah, I think you were the author. As I recall the gist of the post was comparing PT LE, TDM, and Logic. There was a post right after yours that said when you speak we should all listen.....so I did. :) You were spot on about the book too, it's the best instructional one I've seen. Thanks for the reference, nikki. LPH trolls with lava lamps always light the way. :wink:

Yeah, I think you were the author. As I recall the gist of the post was comparing PT LE, TDM, and Logic. There was a post right after yours that said when you speak we should all listen.....so I did. :) You were spot on about the book too, it's the best instructional one I've seen. Thanks for the reference, nikki. LPH trolls with lava lamps always light the way. :wink:

:oops: that was me!

Glad you got it and discovered what a great book it is!

Lol on the lava lamps! Love mine!

Funny thing is, I love both apps. I am actually waiting for the bastard child of both apps...but not holding my breath ;)