Assign MIDI controllers

David Nahmani

Hello,

I have tried everything and then searched all over this site and tried some other stuff and I STILL cannot get Rig Kontrol to control Guitar Rig as I run it as a plug in. Please someone tell me how simple it is so I can get on with it :P. I think I have tried to many things, because now Logic will not even open any of my newer projects. When Logic is starting and you can watch all of everything as it initalizes, it gets to the Midi drivers line and it basicly goes into "not responding".

Now what ???

Cheers

BAMM

Intel Mac Pro

LP7.2

NI GR3

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to make Controller Assignment settings for Insert Effect parameters only work when that Effect is selected or highlighted?

Couldn´t agree more. It´s the first thing I thought of after being disappointed.

It´s really a pain to use one knob to do more than one thing... I don´t have 50 knobs or controllers so if you use one for, say, panning and assign it to a plugin cutoff or something you end up moving both at the same time, one or the other... It makes sense to make it so that the knob only works on the selected plugin... Otherwise you just have to assign everything each time or do like 50 zones, select the zone each time, etc.

So if I have assigned a knob to the attack in a compressor and that same knob for the cutoff of a synth and use both on the same track I basically cannot do either in a simple manner.

Either I´m missing something or this isn´t weel thought of, it´s for sure not straightforward or "Logical"... I beleive it worked a lot better in Cubase.

Is it possible to make Controller Assignment settings for Insert Effect parameters only work when that Effect is selected or highlighted?

Couldn´t agree more. It´s the first thing I thought of after being disappointed.

It´s really a pain to use one knob to do more than one thing... I don´t have 50 knobs or controllers so if you use one for, say, panning and assign it to a plugin cutoff or something you end up moving both at the same time, one or the other... It makes sense to make it so that the knob only works on the selected plugin... Otherwise you just have to assign everything each time or do like 50 zones, select the zone each time, etc.

So if I have assigned a knob to the attack in a compressor and that same knob for the cutoff of a synth and use both on the same track I basically cannot do either in a simple manner.

Either I´m missing something or this isn´t weel thought of, it´s for sure not straightforward or "Logical"... I beleive it worked a lot better in Cubase.

It is a simple matter of looking deeper in to using the controller assignments.

You can use one knob to control just about every (not all) controllable parameter in Logic, and another knob/button to switch to the parameter you wish to control. That is what the MODE section is all about.

Also on the track selected, you can call up the GUI of the plug ins on that channel with a twist of a knob, select that plug in (i.e. compressor) and move the parameter you have selected. All you need do is set up the plug in once and you can control the instance of the one you have selected without affecting the other 10, 20 instances of that plug.

Dig a little deeper...

http://images.cdn2.inmagine.com/168nwm/creatas/cr15298/cr15298015.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quick question -

I use Logic Studio 8 to do live dubbing for this digi dub project I'm working on atm...

However I'm having problems.

Basically I would like to assign each of my midi controller pots to a a different parameters placed across seperate tracks however they only seem to affect it when a track is armed?

Is there any way of getting round this as I'd like the midi assignments to work regardless of which track i'm on. I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue with Ableton but I haven't got it so an suggests would be much appreciated.

hi

i have a problem i hope you may be able to help with..

I have logic 9 and novation x-station kbd on mbp

i want to control cutoff etc on a instrument plug in called nexus .

so i have been able to set all the controls to effect the nexus .. alls great there

but heres the problem ..

all the controls on set up page i have set in the input message as "x station"

great .. but when i unplug my x station and use logic on my mbp with no x station,

then re hook up my x station it sees the x station and changes the core audio etc

but when i look at the controller set up it is either back to 'any' and doesnt work with the x station or recently its coming up saying caps lock input ??!!

i dont have the caps lock activated in prefs ..

so each time i haveto go thru every control line and select x station !! which works but is a pain

do you know what im doing wrong ?

is there a setting in the x station that when connected tells logic to go to caps lock or isnt telling logic x station is connected for controlling ?

it didnt used to give the caps lock option .. just xstation and any (any doesnt work .. has to be xstation)

im stumped and i thought your way of doing modes etc might work .. but i get the same problem..

ive looked everywhere on google ...

help !! lol

thanks

ant

uk

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to assign a MIDI controller to automate Expression using the Track Based Automation, rather than region based automation. Every I try to use the MIDI learn command (command+L), nothing happens.

Is it even possible to assign the Expression parameter in Track Based Automation to a MIDI controller? I've been trying to figure this one out for a while, but can't seem find the answer.

Any help is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a UC-33e and want a quick start for using it with Logic, check out this thread. Many thanks to Merges for his template; I've expanded it:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=26261

I do have a question about the best strategy to accomplish "Open Channel EQ plug-in for the selected track" as part of my Mode-switch button that already makes the UC-33e edit the selected track's EQ parameters. The editing works (you can see the thumbnail update).

Is it a matter of defining it as part of a screenset, and switching to that, with the EQ window's Link button engaged?

thanks for any guidance!

If you have a UC-33e and want a quick start for using it with Logic, check out this thread. Many thanks to Merges for his template; I've expanded it:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=26261

I do have a question about the best strategy to accomplish "Open Channel EQ plug-in for the selected track" as part of my Mode-switch button that already makes the UC-33e edit the selected track's EQ parameters. The editing works (you can see the thumbnail update).

Is it a matter of defining it as part of a screenset, and switching to that, with the EQ window's Link button engaged?

thanks for any guidance!

Why stop at the EQ when you can easily open any plug in that is inserted on the track?

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=51597&highlight=

scroll down to the embedded video.

Why stop at the EQ when you can easily open any plug in that is inserted on the track?

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=51597&highlight=

scroll down to the embedded video.

That's exactly what I want to do, ultimately, but was just taking it one step at a time and EQ was my top priority. But yeah, definitely want to do all plug-ins.

Shiver, thanks as always for your help. Can't wait to check out the video after work!

p.s. Shiver, you'll be happy to know that I bought the Environment video and learned a lot. I actually know what I'm doing with a multitimbral setup now! (at least to some extent :wink: ) That's a good thing because I went for that 3-for-$495 sale at soundsonline and got Gold, SD2 and RA, delivered just the other day. :D

I went ahead and watched the video - very slow here today.

Anyway, questions:

To get the right "learn" parameter, you simply single-click the slot button? (I think when I tried some things the other day, I was double-clicking and hoping a parameter like "Open plug-in window" would appear, but alas, no. So, it's simpler than I thought?)

OK, so, as mentioned, I've got my "5" button on the UC-33e set up for a "Selected Track's Channel EQ" mode to remap all 8 channel strips to control the 4 parameters per band in Chan EQ. They're hardwired in the Assignments window, because that's how I knew to do it (fader=bypass, 3 knobs=freq/gain/Q).

What about "auto-mapping" the knobs so that whatever plug-in I have open, the knobs take on sensible control assignments? Or do I need to choose the 4 other plug-ins I use most and hardwire those, using up my UC buttons 6-9?

I'm truly sorry if this is already covered here in the forum, but I did try a search all terms on "controller automap plug-in" and I get threads pertaining to products with automap features, which the UC-33e does not. So I do thank you for your patience, Shiv!

I went ahead and watched the video - very slow here today.

Anyway, questions:

To get the right "learn" parameter, you simply single-click the slot button? (I think when I tried some things the other day, I was double-clicking and hoping a parameter like "Open plug-in window" would appear, but alas, no. So, it's simpler than I thought?)

OK, so, as mentioned, I've got my "5" button on the UC-33e set up for a "Selected Track's Channel EQ" mode to remap all 8 channel strips to control the 4 parameters per band in Chan EQ. They're hardwired in the Assignments window, because that's how I knew to do it (fader=bypass, 3 knobs=freq/gain/Q).

What about "auto-mapping" the knobs so that whatever plug-in I have open, the knobs take on sensible control assignments? Or do I need to choose the 4 other plug-ins I use most and hardwire those, using up my UC buttons 6-9?

I'm truly sorry if this is already covered here in the forum, but I did try a search all terms on "controller automap plug-in" and I get threads pertaining to products with automap features, which the UC-33e does not. So I do thank you for your patience, Shiv!

Automapping is not part of the UC. However, all you need to do is learn the parameters of the specific plug in one time and it will work on any selected channel strip with that plug in. In other words, if you learn some compressor parameters, the controller buttons used in that compressor mode will control each individual instance of a compressor plug without changing other instances. All you need to do is select the channel strip with that compressor and control away.

The modes let you use and re-use the same control knobs/switches/faders over and over again. So the convenience is that you can 'Learn" on the fly and build as you go.

Audio, Instrument, Aux channels can be dedicated and the Bus sends and FX can be used for the selected channel strips.

Automapping is not part of the UC.

Yep, got that...

However, all you need to do is learn the parameters of the specific plug in one time and it will work on any selected channel strip with that plug in....

The modes let you use and re-use the same control knobs/switches/faders over and over again.

...And I get all of that. That's what the Merges/CK setup does: Modes 1-4 are a 32-chan mixer, and Mode 5 edits the EQ on the selected channel strip. All the same knobs/faders, sending the same things, no changes to the UC.

My question was, Must I use a distinct mode per plug-in (not per instance, of course, just per unique plug-in)?

Or is there a more generic way to define an assignment - a different Class/Parameter configuration - that would allow, for example, Knob 1 to control "First MIDI-controllable thing in Plug-in A," whatever that happens to be, and Knob 2 to control "Second MIDI-controllable thing in Plug-in A" and so on; and then, when I open Plug-in B, and stay in the same Mode, Knob 1 will now control "First MIDI-controllable thing in Plug-in B" and so on?

Or must I hardwire each knob to a specific parameter in a specific plug-in, consequently meaning that I must devote a Mode to every plug-in I want to control? (By "hardwire," I do not mean editing the UC-33e; I just mean choosing a specific parameter in the assignment window as opposed to my hypothetical "generic Nth controllable thing" parameter.)

thx,

ck

Hi first time user.

I'm using Logic 8 with a CME Bitstream and thanks to the starting tutorial I was able to finally figure out how to assign the mixer sliders correctly.

However I still noticed that the locations selected by Logic for the default settings on the mixer sliders are stll in place. How do I remove these?

• 4 weeks later...
hey, i apologise if this has allready been brought up but i did scan through the thread.

my problem is like this:

i go through and make all my assignments, and they all work beautifully. its brilliant.

and then all of a sudden, they're gone. they just vanish.

its happened twice now, and this is after doing about a hundred assignments. so it is really annoying that i have to put them all back in. i havnt exactly noticed when my controller assignments vanish, but it is definitely when ive started a new project, and i think only after i have turned my computer off and on again.

Sam

I am having the same problem as Sam, just finished loading up all my assignments, only to have them disappear on me. Is there something that needs to be done to save them? When I closed the project and re-opened it, they remained, but after quitting the program and re-opening, they disappeared. Any suggestions?

SC

• 9 months later...
With any general assignment problem, quit Logic, trash ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs (you will lose ALL assignements) and restart Logic. Assign again.

If that's not the solution, please post a new thread in the "Logic" forum to get help specific to your system/issue.

Aleluah!! :))) tnxx

• 4 months later...
trying to use an old vs880 to send fader date via midi- logic learned the assignments of the faders I wanted it to but it responds slowly and the data is wrong. for example when I slide the fader to full volume on the vs880 the logic mixed fader goes to zero. It's not exactly opposite either by randomly off seeming. Any ideas?

trying to use an old vs880 to send fader date via midi- logic learned the assignments of the faders I wanted it to but it responds slowly and the data is wrong. for example when I slide the fader to full volume on the vs880 the logic mixed fader goes to zero. It's not exactly opposite either by randomly off seeming. Any ideas?

It would be better if you started a new thread for your issue, better chances of getting help.

Go ahead.

J.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hey dare,

sorry if my englisch is not so well , but i'm dutch

if have logic 9 and i want to record with my midi accordeon. on this instrument i want 3 separate channels to record different vst's , the accordeon have non from itself. i plug it into my phonic firefly 808 and i hear wathever channel is selected lets say piano, now one my left hand on my accordeon i have the base and chors, how do i get a other sound on these two channels? now the all play the piano.

please help i almost give up.

thanks norman

hey dare,

sorry if my englisch is not so well , but i'm dutch

if have logic 9 and i want to record with my midi accordeon. on this instrument i want 3 separate channels to record different vst's , the accordeon have non from itself. i plug it into my phonic firefly 808 and i hear wathever channel is selected lets say piano, now one my left hand on my accordeon i have the base and chors, how do i get a other sound on these two channels? now the all play the piano.

please help i almost give up.

thanks norman

Hello normangooijer and welcome to the Logic Pro Help forum. This "Tips and Tricks" forum is meant to share tips and tricks, and is not the place to ask questions.Next time, please ask your question in the Logic forum, thank you!

For now I'll answer your question here, and later I'll separate it from this thread and move it to the Logic forum.

So.. if your accordeon can send MIDI on different channels, you can use this:

Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...