Free plug-ins

Perhaps useful:

AU gain

http://www.sounds.wa.com/audiounits.html

Per the blurb:

gain offers large, fixed volume steps which do not introduce any additional quantization noise. It is comparable to an audiophile stepped attenuator in the analog world, and is perfect for audio which you do not wish to re-dither. Fine gain control is also available, but it introduces the normal amount of quantization noise inherent in most digital gain stages. Universal: PowerPC and Intel.

• 2 weeks later...

These plug-ins were initially released as 'freeware', but they were so well received that they have since become very inexpensive shareware (I think about $10 each). But the previous free versions are still available for download. The only catch is they are no longer supported. And with such a small price tag for each one, I would encourage anyone who really enjoys using them to support the developers by purchasing the latest versions. These AU's are all in UB format. Check them out.

Diatonic Shifter v.1.x - Eventide-style pitch-shifting/harmonizer

Octave Shifter v.1.x - Realtime pitch-shifter +/- 1 octave

Reverse Sampler v.1.x - Gapless semi-realtime reverse playback, auto-crossfades, sample (delay) from 0.1 to 10 seconds

www.ffnn.nl/pages/projects/audio-units/ ... rsions.php

Peace - xpander

hi,

on 7.1.1. and osx4.8, these work:

digital fish phones - excellent comp.

king dubby = use it for dance, great feedback loops.

crystal = yes, he should charge for this.

automat = excellent and stable.

triple cheese = more stable than Zoyd.

Chip32 = rudest little plug. i love it for dance.

best, DR9.

At www.shuriken.se you'll find some plug-ins made by one of the coders from the Betabugs Audio team. These are all offered as 'freeware' but a little donation will make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I should note that these are all VST plug-ins, but they deserve a look at anyway. If you have a VST-AU Adapter, then no worries. But if you need a free VST host, I suggest that you do yourself a favor and buy the latest copy of Computer Music.

As many of you probably already know, every issue comes with a stuffed full DVD-ROM (now dual-layered for up to nearly 8GB of data). On it is a UB VST capable audio/midi sequencer app called CMusic 1.5. Or you can use DSP-Quattro CM which is a lite version of...you guessed it, DSP-Quattro (PPC only). There are also some UB plug-ins offered, Linplug's CM-505 analog drum synth is now a UB.

As to the Shuriken plug-ins, I won't try to describe each one for the sake of time, but here are the ones offered:

Kerrstinn

CopyShop

Berrtill (this one's a UB)

Repeatler (this one's a UB)

SqakAttack

GetaBlitch JR

Here's something else I stumbled upon - VX-323 Speech synthesizer - It's an instrument that plays real-time synthesized speech in response to MIDI commands. It's free and in UB format. It's actually a standalone instrument but you can control it from Logic via MIDI, then record your sequence which can be saved as audio. You can then import the results for more editing or processing in Logic.

Here's where you can find it -

www.bitnotic.com/vx-323/features/features.html

And here is where you can download a PDF explaining how to use it with Logic/Logic Express -

www.bitnotic.com/vx-323/support/support.html

Peace - xpander

Over at www.apulsoft.ch/freeports/ they've added some more UB AU's such as Ticky Clav (physical modelling clavinet synth), Betabug's MONSTAchorus, Chip32 wavetable synth and others. And as always...making a small contribution will let the developers know you appreciate their work (and will hopefully convince them to keep it up for UB AU's).

Peace - xpander

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Sorry about the newbie question: I realize they are plug-ins but how do I insert it in Logic as a plug-in. How do I make the plug-in show up in my Inserts menu ??

If the plugins do not have an installer, you need to copy them in yourself. If this is an AU plugin, i.e. it ends with .component, then just place it in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components (or ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components if you only want local/user access to the plugin).

Note that the AU validator might still complain about a possible plugin so it will not be activated after Logic starts, so it does not show up then. For example, if you have an Intel Mac, and the plugin is not universal, it won't work. Logic neither understands VST plugins, with the exception of having a VST-to-AU wrapper installed.

--Kent

Sorry about the newbie question: I realize they are plug-ins but how do I insert it in Logic as a plug-in. How do I make the plug-in show up in my Inserts menu ??

If the plugins do not have an installer, you need to copy them in yourself. If this is an AU plugin, i.e. it ends with .component, then just place it in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components (or ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components if you only want local/user access to the plugin).

Note that the AU validator might still complain about a possible plugin so it will not be activated after Logic starts, so it does not show up then. For example, if you have an Intel Mac, and the plugin is not universal, it won't work. Logic neither understands VST plugins, with the exception of having a VST-to-AU wrapper installed.

--Kent

Okay, thank you for that Ken. Yes, i downloaded a folder that contains a .vst file. This means there is no way I can get it in Logic ? Are there VST to AU converters available ?

• 2 weeks later...
Yellow tools just released a free version of Independence. I've actually almost bought this plug a few months back, and held off because I couldn't find anyone or anywhere that gave demonstrations of its usage. I like to see things in action before I commit. Seems like they must have read my mind because now there's a free version. Pretty impressive when you think about it. Free sampler with a 2GB library. Downside, try downloading those 2gb. I'm on day two now. LOL!! At any rate you can go to http://yellowtools.com but there's a good chance you'll get an error message. I don't think they had a plan for the logistics of releasing 2GB of software for free.

Yellow tools just released a free version of Independence. I've actually almost bought this plug a few months back, and held off because I couldn't find anyone or anywhere that gave demonstrations of its usage. I like to see things in action before I commit. Seems like they must have read my mind because now there's a free version. Pretty impressive when you think about it. Free sampler with a 2GB library. Downside, try downloading those 2gb. I'm on day two now. LOL!! At any rate you can go to http://yellowtools.com but there's a good chance you'll get an error message. I don't think they had a plan for the logistics of releasing 2GB of software for free.

Finally got the download. You also need the yellow tools key manager (one of the reasons I initially passed was the need for a separate dongle though not with the free version, but the software must be installed to pass AU validation). At any rate finally got it opened up in logic and after about a half hour I'm sold. I'll be purchasing the full version when it comes out later this month. Obviously I haven't gotten into the whole thing yet, and to be honest the UI is a bit of a turn-off but clicking around and figuring out all you can do made this a must for me. And even if you're not going to get the full verion, do yourself a favor and get the free. The quality of the instruments are great. My comparison was the EXS bass versus this one and hands down Independence has a realer sound before even geting into its internal effects and modules chain. I also know that the Kirk Hunter strings and horns come in the full version which are amazing. Just need Logic 8 to arrive.