Free plug-ins

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
smartelectronix.com has several nice ones but Livecut takes the cake for me. I stopped using it because I felt like a cheater. also check out fabfilter.com even though they're just a demo you might just buy them

LOL, anything above banging the rocks together is 'cheating', Im deeply in love with livecut, its an awesome tool. I record the output of 4/8 bar loops, and then comp the takes together to make a new thing, and run that under the original loop i programmed...and ad some bit crusher :)

but i digress...

Many thanks for this thread, ive had great fun with plugins sourced from it.

xx

Cx

• 2 months later...
hey so after i place the components into the ~library/audio/plugins/components folder i open up logic and for whatever reason it doesn't scan for new ones and i cant access the downloaded plugins. Any tips?

you can open up the AU manager in Logic preferences, scroll down until you see the ones that didn't validate. you can click and validate them in there.

• 2 weeks later...
To be blunt, freeware is free for a reason. I went through a phase where I was hunting for freeware like crazy to only be disappointed. I did find one which delivers pro results, and that is the BX_Solo by Brainworx. Go to http://www.brainworx-music.de/ and find the downloads section. Its a stereo imaging plug in that I use preferably over the one logic comes with. For now on though, I'd rather just spend the money for plugs.

To be blunt, freeware is free for a reason. I went through a phase where I was hunting for freeware like crazy to only be disappointed. I did find one which delivers pro results, and that is the BX_Solo by Brainworx. Go to http://www.brainworx-music.de/ and find the downloads section. Its a stereo imaging plug in that I use preferably over the one logic comes with. For now on though, I'd rather just spend the money for plugs.

That is a very narrow minded view. A lot of free plug-ins are used by software developers as advertising tools. They are not going to advertise by releasing substandard wares now are they? I agree that if you want the variety and consistent high quality then you've got to cough up (some expensive plug-ins are crap too though!), but hunt around and you will find gems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be blunt, freeware is free for a reason.

I strongly disagree. Did you ever thought about open source? It would be the highest stage of freeware. And you know what, Mac OS X is based on an open source kernel, for example.

Maybe plugins aren't the strength of open source but the price of something never tells about it's quality. And for the audio production side of open source, there is Ardour, a complete DAW ;).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
dunno if its already [lazy] posted

but here's my contribution:

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products

wicked!

WHy are people posting VST plugin links? VST = useless to Logic users. Unless there's a stable VST wrapper out now that I don't know about (always a possibility).

there are Audio Unit versions available :wink:

and some possible workarounds for VSTs, for example

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=51602&highlight=vst

cheers

i am not too fond on the soundquality of the TAL line...looks nice ofc, but it sounds not up to par with latest software ( and HW i dont even dare to compare it with)

but true it is free, so thats cool

I think there are little virtual instruments that are free that are better than Logic included standard ones.

The Logic Ensemble synth is an awesome stringer etc, The Polysynth is great from Logic and the FM one is rather astonishing what sounds you can make with that simple one.

effects and dynamics I see more and more good stuff in software that can take up a comparision with Hardware, even the free stuff.

I keep on digging airwindows.com free plugins, they really rock

• 2 weeks later...
I've been trying to install DaHornet from this link http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/download.html

and Logic isn't recognizing it, does anyone think this is because I'm on an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac? I'm thinking that's the problem, I've installed plenty of AUs and this one isn't working for some reason. Any ideas?

This is the reason it's not working for you:

"The Universal Binary version for intel Macs and an optimized update for XP and Vista (32 and 64 bit) are available for a minimum donation of 9 USD, the more you donate the more daHornet will be supported with new updates. Thanks"

J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...