10.4.2 update released

Multispace

I haven't read through this entire thread but have been getting consistent crashes in 10.4.2, spinning beach ball when trying to save. Got one message saying Logic can't save the file because it's being used by another app or another Logic or something like that. I should have taken a screen shot....never seen that prompt before.

Also kept getting an Illegal 2 Logic prompt. Couldn't back up the files to another drive. Just all kinds of issues trying to open and save the session. Went back to 10.4.1 and everything is fine. First time I've had to revert to a previous version of Logic but I think 10.4.2 is kinda jicky. 10.4.1 is solid with 10.12.6 so I'm staying here for awhile.

Updated to 10.4.2 - all seemed good until I went to OS Mojave. After that I got the 'Illegal 2' message. Just went back to 10.4.1 and it's all stable again. I highly recommend copying 10.4.1 (or whatever solid working version you are using) and renaming in an alternate location - saved me hours of mucking about.

Is 10.4.2. extra buggy??

Yeah I know but I read so many horror stories of High Sierra I’ve been holding off.

When a rig gets really stable I like to use it for awhile but I’ve been on the bleeding edge of Logic because every new release has some great features.

Maybe over the holidays I’ll update and screw it all up

Anyone else getting odd graphical glitches with 10.4.2? An example is regions disappear when dragging on the timeline, but the easiest to reproduce is dragging a zone in EXS24 and it leaves artefacts behind (As per image).

923381471_ScreenShot2018-11-09at14_00_38.png.41acfd4cb19c8d35335234b7b4f8cbb9.png

I am seeing this on an old Mac Pro (2008) that isn't supported anymore, so may just be due to that, but thought i'd check with others.

Anyone else getting odd graphical glitches with 10.4.2? An example is regions disappear when dragging on the timeline, but the easiest to reproduce is dragging a zone in EXS24 and it leaves artefacts behind (As per image).

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 14.00.38.png

I am seeing this on an old Mac Pro (2008) that isn't supported anymore, so may just be due to that, but thought i'd check with others.

confirmed 2018 macbook pro

269602354_Screenshot2018-11-09at15_21_30.png.5eac98108b749a1f8d6a83ba3ff0e12c.png

• 2 weeks later...
I just did this update and now I have an error message popping up when I try and open Logic back up. It says my Alchemy preset database is unreadable. It asks me if I want to delete it and rescan, but that my custom tags, etc may be changed if I do. So, if I do this, will it affect my current projects? I've never seen this before.

I just did this update and now I have an error message popping up when I try and open Logic back up. It says my Alchemy preset database is unreadable. It asks me if I want to delete it and rescan, but that my custom tags, etc may be changed if I do. So, if I do this, will it affect my current projects? I've never seen this before.

It won't affect your current projects, only your custom tags, if you've made any, in Alchemy.

10.4.1 is solid with 10.12.6 so I'm staying here for awhile.

You're a little behind, try 10.13.6 (17G65). 10.4.2 runs fine on High Sierra.

Boy, not for me. Since updating to 10.4.2 I've been crashing more than ever. Especially when trying to save. The longer I work on a particular session the worse it gets. Eventually it gets to where every time I save it just spins forever and I have to force quit. Usually the auto-save saves my neck, but not always.

I also get a weird message sometimes to the effect of "another app has modified this file since you last saved - do you want to save?". I have no idea what that is about.

Also, every time I open Kontakt the first time on a session I get 3 spinning balls before I can do anything. Frustrating.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I had the problem of greyed out relocate option. Fortunately I had enough storage to put files back in their original place and get rid of symlinks. Then it worked as expected.

The workaround I was going to try (and something those without enough storage space to move files back might try) was to uninstall the entire library and only reinstall a small portion. Then relocate to external drive and download the rest of the library once the library path was created/move to external drive.

I have a big issue now with a mixture of all these symptoms. I apologise if I have missed an answer. I had created symlinks to a Logic Folder on an external drive and it worled well for the past year or so. Since then that drive has died. I also was not aware that I should have deleted symlinks before updating to 10.14.2. Now I have a new external drive and want to relocate the sound library to the new drive. However after uninstalling Logic and reinstalling it even though it downloaded the essential sounds the "relocate library" option is greyed out and when I hover over it it says it is unavailable before "the sound library is not currently available"

I have no idea how to find the Symlinks and delete them or to make them see this new drive

Any help would be appreciated

I had the problem of greyed out relocate option. Fortunately I had enough storage to put files back in their original place and get rid of symlinks. Then it worked as expected.

The workaround I was going to try (and something those without enough storage space to move files back might try) was to uninstall the entire library and only reinstall a small portion. Then relocate to external drive and download the rest of the library once the library path was created/move to external drive.

I have a big issue now with a mixture of all these symptoms. I apologise if I have missed an answer. I had created symlinks to a Logic Folder on an external drive and it worled well for the past year or so. Since then that drive has died. I also was not aware that I should have deleted symlinks before updating to 10.14.2. Now I have a new external drive and want to relocate the sound library to the new drive. However after uninstalling Logic and reinstalling it even though it downloaded the essential sounds the "relocate library" option is greyed out and when I hover over it it says it is unavailable before "the sound library is not currently available"

I have no idea how to find the Symlinks and delete them or to make them see this new drive

Any help would be appreciated

See my thread here. Only i found to be working.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=140712

Blink

You could Look up how to add sympinks to see the locations. Then remove them if they are still there. BUT if it says library is not available you might just try to install the library from scratch.

I have been trying to find a way to search for Symlinks and unlink or remove them. I have flushed Logic preferences, installed and reinstalled Logic itself as well as the Library twice now. When I added symlinks the first time it left a folder with the ~ symbol in front of it in Library/Application/Support/Logic but that folder is not there now at all. No idea where the new OS or Logic version is storing anything. I have downloaded essential instruments and they are available in Logic so they much be in a location somewhere on my laptop

I remain, as ever, confused :)

If your drive failed then Logic will just create the files in the default location and your symlink will be replaced.

To find where they are now, just spotlight search in MacOS for 'steinway' or some other library that you know exists, and you can find the locations easily by 'showing all in finder' at the bottom of the search.

If your drive failed then Logic will just create the files in the default location and your symlink will be replaced.

To find where they are now, just spotlight search in MacOS for 'steinway' or some other library that you know exists, and you can find the locations easily by 'showing all in finder' at the bottom of the search.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I assumed logic would recreate the files in the default location as you said but they are not there. I tried the search for both Steinway and the SoCal drum kit both of which are working as I loaded up tracks with them both and they are producing sounds. Neither of them produce a result even though I know they are on my machine somewhere. The Relocate Library tabe is still showing the same grayed out error saying the LIbrary cannot be located

Thanks for being patient.

You could Look up how to add sympinks to see the locations. Then remove them if they are still there. BUT if it says library is not available you might just try to install the library from scratch.

I have been trying to find a way to search for Symlinks and unlink or remove them. I have flushed Logic preferences, installed and reinstalled Logic itself as well as the Library twice now. When I added symlinks the first time it left a folder with the ~ symbol in front of it in Library/Application/Support/Logic but that folder is not there now at all. No idea where the new OS or Logic version is storing anything. I have downloaded essential instruments and they are available in Logic so they much be in a location somewhere on my laptop

I remain, as ever, confused :)

UPDATE from my end

I did a search for the word Logic and found the location of the files. They are in

Macbook HD/Library/Application Support/Logic

However I believe they should be in the hidden Library/Application Support folder which is where I think they normally live. I dont know why Logic is putting them in the folder they are currently in. I may try to move them to where Logic thinks they should be and then see if Logic lets me do a proper relocate operation

I did a search for the word Logic and found the location of the files. They are in

Macbook HD/Library/Application Support/Logic

Just rename that folder (with Logic closed) to "Logic__" then fire up Logic and see if it creates a new one. It may prompt you to install the content again, install the minimal. And after, you may get back the library relocation feature and consequently you may be able to install the rest of the content straight to the external drive.