Logic Pro 10.7.8 is out!

David Nahmani

Hi all,

Flex Pitch still has glitches. I have to double click on the notes, pull back then reapply the amount of correction. Exiting the edit window and getting back in helps. I have heard this has been an issue. The pro and cons of every DAW software!

Yesterday automation was taking the adjustments then not. It required a second round of adjustments. I'll check this morning to see if all is "set like Jello." Jiggly rhythms, beats and sparse, trippy vocals for breakfast!

OK this one's weird: 
My pencil tool, in the arrange/Tracks area is creating looped midi regions...

But only in one song. I load up another song and it creates a single region. Switch back - loops.
I've been looking for a setting but cannot find one.

Just now, GeeMan said:

But only in one song. I load up another song and it creates a single region. Switch back - loops.
I've been looking for a setting but cannot find one.

Deselect all regions and make sure a software instrument or MIDI track is selected then look in your Region inspector (it should be titled MIDI Defaults), make sure "Loop" is deselected. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

make sure "Loop" is deselected. 

Great thanks, David. That sorted it. I don't have a clue how this turned itself on - and Ive never set the parameter in 20 years. Hehe.
Also, couldn't find info on it after quite extensive searching.

Edited by GeeMan
  • Like 2

Well, One thing I find in some apps on the mac is that you can sometimes click on a text entry field and it DOESN'T activate. You look at the keyboard - start typing a name etc. and you suddenly set a whole bunch of parameters by mistake. I figured it might be this, but when I checked the key commands nothing said "set pencil tool to loop in tracks" or anything similar. I even tried a few combinations of the L button but mustn't have had the track set to instrument without a region selected.
The devil's in the details. Thx

• Like 3

Has anyone else been having issues with quantization in 10.7.8? The algorithm is off. I thought I was going crazy for a few weeks until I saw someone else posted a video illustrating the issue on Reddit. I tried to search to see if someone had posted about it here already, but I don't see anything. Here's the video:

5 minutes ago, craike said:

Has anyone else been having issues with quantization in 10.7.8? The algorithm is off. I thought I was going crazy for a few weeks until I saw someone else posted a video illustrating the issue on Reddit. I tried to search to see if someone had posted about it here already, but I don't see anything.

The Quantize Strength parameter has changed behavior. The default swing is now 50%. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, craike said:

The algorithm is off. I thought I was going crazy for a few weeks until I saw someone else posted a video illustrating the issue on Reddit. I tried to search to see if someone had posted about it here already, but I don't see anything.

Yes, the algorithm changed in a recent update, and David's example thread is just one of a few we've had here, so yes, it's come up here and the solution is already posted.

3 hours ago, des99 said:

Yes, the algorithm changed in a recent update, and David's example thread is just one of a few we've had here, so yes, it's come up here and the solution is already posted.

I have not been able to read thru the entire thread, and so would appreciate if someone could point me to the description for settings that need to change for this to match the behavior in 10.7.5 (apart from maybe changing the default swing value in the inspector).   I assume 10.7.5 projects with swing/quantize values already set are not affected.

We've saved quite a few projects in 10.7.5 virtual instruments in what I think is/was called multi-player mode, i.e. 1 instrument is record enabled (R button illuminated red), while other VI tracks show only the text of the R highlighted in red.   These map to different external keyboards with splits/layers transmitting on individual MIDI channels to (only some of) the individual VI's in the Logic project.  Those record set/enabled track settings are saved and recalled with Logic 10.7.5, but they are not recalled when the project is opened with 10.7.8.  Wondering if there is a workaround for this in 10.7.8.

The swing slider is only an "action" value - ie, a value to apply to particular events during editing. Changes in this behaviour are not going to affect events that have already been manipulated - those event positions are fixed and stored as always. So the only thing that needs to change is the users behaviour next time they use the slider, remembering that it behaves like the region parameters now - 50% = no swing, and you can swing backwards and forwards by going above and below the 50 line, when applying swing to the event positions in the editor.

Too bad they STILL haven't fixed the Smart Tempo bug that analyzes audio at the wrong BPM, and even when you change it manually by typing the right BPM in the box it doesn't work properly so you can't use any loops or anything that aren't at the right BPM already.  Been an issue since 10.7.5 as far as I can tell. 

Edited by Brandon Zemel

34 minutes ago, SorayaSobreidad said:

In backing up a version, If I click on the app and select copy, I don't see that a back up is created. Am I to choose duplicate?

I haven't followed the entire thread, but if you're talking about backing up Logic (or anything) from the Finder, 'copy' just copies it to the clipboard - you then need to paste it somewhere else. You could try 'duplicate', but if that works, you'll get a copy with a different name in the same location, which you may not want. (You can also of course make a copy by option-dragging to somewhere.)

Apologies if that's not what you were asking about and I'm telling you things you already know 🙂

The version I had before this was the final revision compatible with Catalina. (Logic 10.6 I think.) It may not have had all the bells and whistles, but at least it worked! So I'm curious. Is 10.7.8 uniquely bad in giving so many users so many different kinds of problems? Or have other versions between 10.6 and this one had their own "growing pains"?

Edited by Ted598

From my subjective experience here, there seem to have been more than the usual underlying issues with 10.7.8, indicating that perhaps some more internal stuff that we realise is being changed under the hood - very possibly in relation to changes they would have had to make to the codebase for the iPad version, and also very possibly for a forthcoming larger overhaul of Logic to come...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, des99 said:

From my subjective experience here, there seem to have been more than the usual underlying issues with 10.7.8, indicating that perhaps some more internal stuff that we realise is being changed under the hood - very possibly in relation to changes they would have had to make to the codebase for the iPad version, and also very possibly for a forthcoming larger overhaul of Logic to come...

I don't see them phasing out logic for mac os therefore I agree with you as they clearly want to reach feature synchronicity between the two apps to not have confusion on the consumer end when looking up tutorials etc. Things in general need to work in a teachable way where one can pick up from one to the other.

So my eyes are on the sonoma release. The reason I say this is because the ipad logic and os logic apply two different color templates and contrast in different ways. They usually fix these sorta things in their non pro apps during major os releases. while i dont know enough about logic or final cut as im newer to using it as my primary daw, and i doubt there is precedent for this, I would say it will release no earlier then sonoma but could be 2024 as late as spring. But expect a subscription. They dont want these tools looking too different for too long. 

Good morning all

On 6/28/2023 at 2:48 AM, scg said:

I haven't followed the entire thread, but if you're talking about backing up Logic (or anything) from the Finder, 'copy' just copies it to the clipboard - you then need to paste it somewhere else. You could try 'duplicate', but if that works, you'll get a copy with a different name in the same location, which you may not want. (You can also of course make a copy by option-dragging to somewhere.)

Apologies if that's not what you were asking about and I'm telling you things you already know 🙂

Hello,

Yes, the above information was helpful. The duplication of the app is the way to go. Thank you and have a terrific day.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 12:53 AM, Brandon Zemel said:

I reverted to 10.7.0.  I've been having bugs since 10.7.5 and I'm sick of it

Maybe a list of bugs (that are new in 10.7.5 or later) that affect you would be helpful (in a separate thread), either to be able to report them to Apple, or to find workarounds together on this forum. "Sick of it" doesn't really help anyone.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

This thread has helped me in one regard, which is that I have learned to relax about the bugs I am experiencing. Basically it's good to know that there is no fix, only "workarounds," because this knowledge stops me from trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong or why 10.7.8 on my new Mac mini is uniquely bad. Thanks to this thread I can realize that A., I'm not doing anything wrong, and B., my 10.7.8 is not uniquely bad. This has turned the bugs into annoyances rather than crises. There is peace in powerlessness!

FWIW (if anybody's making a list), my two persistent bugs both have to do with regions disappearing when they oughtn't.

~A midi region will sometimes (unpredictably) disappear when I am trying to split that region at the playhead by hitting command-T. The workaround is to hit command-Z which brings the region back, upon which command-T works as it should on the second try.

~A midi region will sometimes (unpredictably) disappear when I am trying to edit its notes in the piano roll. The workaround is to unlink the piano roll from the region. The notes in that region remain in the piano roll and I can edit them.

On 6/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, Q420 said:

they clearly want to reach feature synchronicity between the two apps to not have confusion on the consumer end when looking up tutorials

They will never reach feature synchronicity, because one version is made for touch the other for mouse input.