Logic Pro 10.7.8 is out!

David Nahmani

As a rule of thumb, it is (highly) advisable to wait awhile (couple of sub-versions; i.e. N.xx) before updating/upgrading the macOS, especially when involved in a serious project. Same goes for Logic (or other piece of softwares). That is especially true when there is no possible/easy fallback…

5 hours ago, polanoid said:

Not really, because, unlike updating the OS, you can simply keep a backup of your old copy of Logic when you update to a new version, and easily go back to the backup version in case you run into problems.

If you ALSO keep MacOS NOT updated. 

6 hours ago, polanoid said:

Not really, because, unlike updating the OS, you can simply keep a backup of your old copy of Logic when you update to a new version, and easily go back to the backup version in case you run into problems.

I believe that editing an existing project with a more recent version of software (such as Logic) could alter the project in a way that could be detrimental to the extent that reverting to a previous (Logic) version might not be a viable solution…

11 hours ago, Mania said:

If you ALSO keep MacOS NOT updated. 

Apple provides all information about Logic‘s OS compatibility.

10 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

I believe that editing an existing project with a more recent version of software (such as Logic) could alter the project in a way that could be detrimental to the extent that reverting to a previous (Logic) version might not be a viable solution…

That is true for some (usually 10.x) versions, but not for all (like e.g. 10.7.7->10.7.8)

26 minutes ago, WCMusician said:

If I forgot to back up Logic 10.7.7, is there any way I can recover the old version without losing any of my prior data? I don't have Time Machine, unfortunately. Does OS X provide restore points like Windows?

more importantly... why don't you use time machine? please get a backup strategy going... it's essential, for all the obvious reasons. nothing worse than losing content...

• Like 2

Goodness. So much going on here! I'm not into shaming by no means, and my back up system is not perfect. However Time Machine has saved my life SO MANY TIMES! It's so simple to use and keep active. I may not be a super sharp techie, but one thing I know, Back UPs of OS and entire systems operations is crucial. I may self sabotage here and there, but with my investment with time and resources to have a fun decent set up, I take that extra care. Time Machine is a blessing.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Further, I did upgrade to Ventura about 6 months ago. Could not open Logic at all. Thanks to Time Machine, I was able to roll back the system and restore. I love my Mac, and the technology since my initial system in the 90's is fascinating. I required so much hardware and space to make recordings that having everything I can play with on my computer inspires me to have the latest OS so I can keep up and take advantage of all this brilliance in DAW's.  Logic is just a blast for me. I come from using Cubase since early 90's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SorayaSobreidad said:

I may not be a super sharp techie, but one thing I know, Back UPs of OS and entire systems operations is crucial.

Absolutely. We see at least a few people here a year coming with stories of "my hard disk failed and I've lost my life's work", and while it's heartbreaking, *it's entirely avoidable*, especially considering a 2TB hard drive costs maybe $50, and at the most basic and mimimal effort you can just copy your music drive to that second drive, and keep it on your shelf (or off-site), and you're protected from ever having to go through that.

The thing I tend to say to people now is - imagine if the next time you turned on your computer, any given hard drive of yours is just dead. Think about the affect this would have. If it's a case of "Oh, it would be annoying, and would take a few hours to restore and be back up and working" - you're doing fine. If it's a case of "I would lose my life's work" or some other important data you do not want to lose - you need to sort out backups, *today*.

Anyone making anything with any seriousness with computers has no excuse for losing work, really.

Edited by des99
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I do understand, in reflection and as to the comments online at the time that others we having as well, that Logic not opening was strongly and possibly due to the third part plug ins.

I really make an effort not to depend on too many of these.

My system is very stable right now so I will stay with Monterey.

23 hours ago, WCMusician said:

If I forgot to back up Logic 10.7.7, is there any way I can recover the old version

Related question. Was 10.7.7 less buggy than 10.7.8? The solution I reported here to a particular 10.7.8 bug has proved to be only temporary. 

Just chiming in to say: hooray for selection-based processing within take folders! Now I can finally tune or EQ vocal phrases before having to commit to a comp (or suffer through tediously committing sections and then copy-and-pasting them back into take folders as new takes). Thank you, folks behind the scenes!

11 hours ago, Ted598 said:

Related question. Was 10.7.7 less buggy than 10.7.8? The solution I reported here to a particular 10.7.8 bug has proved to be only temporary. 

seems, as always... complicated. we gain some features, and fixes... but break something else.

for me, 10.7.8 is fine (outside of one weird glitch, that i rarely will encounter). just, considering how we all work, there's no one answer to this.

Some things are better, some are worse. Not the best update. But one irritating thing that slowed me down(latency compensation related) was fixed, so I will stay at 10.7.8 for the moment.

I am/was expecting a quick bugfix release.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:39 PM, fisherking said:

seems, as always... complicated. we gain some features, and fixes... but break something else.

for me, 10.7.8 is fine (outside of one weird glitch, that i rarely will encounter). just, considering how we all work, there's no one answer to this.

Which one?

5 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Which one?

no one else seems to have reported this, so am assuming it's the ventura beta. should be fun when i dive into sonoma! (soon)..

anyway.

if i have a project open (say, a custom template), and import content from another logic project... the file names of the new content, in the mixer only, display the track names of, apparently, the tracks to the left of that, weird AF. but it's not something i do often; still, will keep an eye on it.

Edited by fisherking
  • Like 1