Welcome to our new forum!

Hey David,

Regarding viewing the site on a phone, I probably should have characterized it more as a "cool thing" than simply an "observation". In other words, the background of quoted text looks great on my phone! :)

Cheers,

Ski

President of Divine Bovines. Call today and ask for Nunu. Discownts available.

President of Divine Bovines. Call today and ask for Nunu. Discownts available.

I tried calling and I asked for Nunu. The person on the other end said ...

"You must have the wrong number, there is no Nunu here. Did you possibly mean GnuGnu? We have a GnuGnu here, would you like to speak to GnuGnu?"

I said " No thank you, " and I hung up.

My cat, Shiver-mew-hiskers wishes everyone a Happy Mew Year. :lol:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9GHoR-RJLy8/SNOvu2j6trI/AAAAAAAAGhs/A9FhAG53wtg/s400/pirate+cat6.jpg

My cat, Shiver-mew-hiskers wishes everyone a Happy Mew Year. :lol:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9GHoR-RJLy8/SNOvu2j6trI/AAAAAAAAGhs/A9FhAG53wtg/s400/pirate+cat6.jpg

.....Pah! That's not the real thing! :lol:

THIS is the real thing:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/RedRobin_05/RR/OllyRobin.jpg

THIS is the real thing

Wow Red Robin - is that you and your bird? Nice. :D

....Thanks :) - Yes it's me and Olly about 15 years ago. I had two Macaws, both free flight and never caged. It's all about Trust. One eventually died and the other I donated to a bird garden when my home circumstances changed.

2012 feels good! I dunno why yet!

Just as a visual clue to what i am going on about...

You should not see that. You're seeing that because you're not accessing the logicprohelp.com URL, but our servers IP directly. You may see all sorts of bizarre things like that until you finally access the site through logicprohelp.com.

Hi David..

I am now using the normal method of accessing the site and I am still seeing the 'Big Red Circle" as shown in this screenshot of the Lounge forum I took a moment ago...

1486711682_ScreenShot2012-01-01at10_42_57AM.thumb.png.34312a4b76a2244864fbfe96eeee48f7.png

Any clues as to why this happens or what it means?

Cheers...

I think it means there is a post on p. 1 of the "HDYGGAL"-topic which you haven't seen yet.

That is what i thought but.....

The red '1' in the # of pages boxes indicates I have read that page... (Which I did..) as when you read a page of a multi page thread those numbers turn red.. so I don't think that's it... So far I cannot find rhyme or reason for the Big Red Circle and the thing is it only shows up very rarely compared to the more common Big Blue Circle and the Clear Circle...

I tried googling it but to no avail...

David said earlier he thought it was an anomoly caused by the fact I was using the IP address rather than the Domain name to access the site.. when my DNS wasn't working.. but now that is not the case and I am using the Domain name as normal..

It also shows up on my iPad so it is not Lion/Safari specific

There is also another one.. a Big Blue Circle with a small blue circle attached to it in the bottom right 'corner' and I haven't worked out what that means either... as the rollover help for all of these reads the same "Unread posts'

In the screenshot in my earlier post... it is the symbol next to the "Thank you to Peter...." thread....

David, a comment on the time limit for editing posts... It will be no longer possible for people to add "[solved]" to their thread titles. I just wanted to do this on a thread I posted last week and now it's not possible. :(

I understand your reasons for wanting the time limit. But in the 6 years I've been on this forum (egad!) I haven't run into too many threads where people have removed their posts with the result being that the thread no longer makes sense. Can't help but think that the ability to edit a post indefinitely (as it used to be), whether it's to correct a mistake or add "solved", is going to be of more benefit to the forum than not.

Best,

Ski

David, a comment on the time limit for editing posts... It will be no longer possible for people to add "[solved]" to their thread titles. I just wanted to do this on a thread I posted last week and now it's not possible. :(

I understand your reasons for wanting the time limit. But in the 6 years I've been on this forum (egad!) I haven't run into too many threads where people have removed their posts with the result being that the thread no longer makes sense. Can't help but think that the ability to edit a post indefinitely (as it used to be), whether it's to correct a mistake or add "solved", is going to be of more benefit to the forum than not.

Best,

Ski

I agree. IME, there have been maybe three of my own posts that no longer made sense in light of edited posts "upstream". That's an average I'd be willing to live with! It comes down to the old adage about not throwing the baby out with the bathwater - I think there are more good reasons to leave the edit duration as indefinite than the new way. For instance, if someone is compiling a list at the top of a thread or is posting a procedure, they may want to add to the list or update the procedure when new info becomes available through feed back over the course of the thread. That way, it becomes a simple matter to go to the top of the thread to get the whole list/procedure rather than jumping around to get it all.

Personally, I dislike having a limited time to edit posts.

One other forum I regularly participate in has this, and I find it's annoying, as I can't go back and correct possibly misleading info in hindsight, typos, clarify or add useful info in context that might be applicable when people find those threads later on.

Generally, there shouldn't be a need to majorly change anything in a post, but for minor things like the above, I'd prefer not to have a time limit.

If' it's simply a forum preference, which it probably is, I'd vote to remove the time limit, unless there was a definite need to implement it (for instance if the old forum constantly had a problem with people editing posts in misleading ways and the new forum software lets you be able to do something about it.)

I like a hangout to respect it's users to generally behave themselves and act responsibly, and I think LPH is generally pretty good at this in my experience. My words and posts are technically my own content, despite choosing to publish them here - especially as they persist for years to come - give me the ownership and responsibility of editing them as I see fit, please!

So I'd also vote on no editing limit, if possible.

Edited by beej

Best,

Ski

+1

Hey David,

+1 on these, with some additional commentary...

Camillo wrote:

For instance, if someone is compiling a list at the top of a thread or is posting a procedure, they may want to add to the list or update the procedure when new info becomes available through feed back over the course of the thread. That way, it becomes a simple matter to go to the top of the thread to get the whole list/procedure rather than jumping around to get it all.

Indeed. And this is in keeping with what Beej said, paraphrasing: [to] correct possibly misleading info in hindsight, typos, clarify or add useful info in context that might be applicable when people find those threads later on.

I think editing ability that lasts far beyond the first 15 - 30 minutes of a post is especially important for tips and tricks, environment postings, etc., where the complications of same (or user feedback) very often warrant a correction of the original post.

Beej wrote:

I like a hangout to respect it's users to generally behave themselves and act responsibly, and I think LPH is generally pretty good at this in my experience.

This is a premier example of one of the truly special things about LPH. The tenor you established for LPH years ago has resulted in exactly the kind of place Beej described, and having the ability to edit posts (or otherwise maintain their content) is a contributing factor. In short, unlimited editing time equates to "trust in the membership" and to expand upon what I said above, the people who abuse their LPH membership are relatively few and far between. That's my long-term observation, anyway, FWIW.

Finally, Scott Jackson wrote:

+1

See? It's contagious! :)

Personally, I dislike having a limited time to edit posts.

One other forum I regularly participate in has this, and I find it's annoying, as I can't go back and correct possibly misleading info in hindsight, typos, clarify or add useful info in context that might be applicable when people find those threads later on.

I completely agree.

Since some of my posts - and this is not to toot my own horn - are being used for reference and linked to again and again, I often go back and correct or clarify things several times. Doing this in the original posts instead of having to add or correct things separately in later posts is a much better solution for everyone.

There should be no time limit on editing. I'll even go back and correct or add things to posts that are several years old - this makes the search function more useful since it doesn't discriminate new from old posts.

I am now using the normal method of accessing the site and I am still seeing the 'Big Red Circle" as shown in this screenshot of the Lounge forum I took a moment ago...

Any clues as to why this happens or what it means?

Looking at the names of the image icons from the page source, it seems:

- white circle, blue arrow, white small circle | topic_read_mine.gif

- blue circle, white arrow| topic_unread.gif

- white circle, i | announce_read_mine.gif

- red circle | topic_unread_hot

- white circle, blue arrow | topic_read_hot

SO, the red icon apparently means it's an (unread by you) "Hot Topic" - not sure on the metric for this, but presumably it's a highly read post, or one that's having replies added fairly quickly, to draw attention to it as somehow more significant that slower moving or less read topics.

For more, you could probably trawl the phpBB docs...

There are others as well - I'm guessing ones with a second small circle are topics that you have participated in, with blue being unread topics, and white being read ones...

Thank You, David! Very much appreciated. It really does help us to help the forum remain an effective and efficient resource.

If we think appropriate we can also write "EDIT:" or similar when we are adding something later. Helps us to help others and that is what this forum is fundamentally about.

:D :D :D :D :D - Five Star Happy!

[RR now goes back to correct a mistake he made in a post so that folks are not so misinformed by his 'expertise']

Hi David,

As well as the Youtube embed feature can we have one for SoundCloud? I've seen this feature in another Forum and like it. Many OP's in the Listening Booth links to SoundCloud tracks. I used to put in the embed code so listeners could play from within LPH posts.

Not sure if the above is do-able however; it would be a nice feature.

Andy