new logic version, 3june WWDC

fisherking

A little balance on price - no one here using SSL consoles probably ;-)

They said the monster will work with 6 HDX cards (ProTools) those cards cost about $4000 each

They compared the price of the Mac Pro to similar spec "PC" and seem competitive at that end of the spectrum. It's all those frequencies above 22 kHz that are the problem. Making them work right is expensive ;-)

Guessing the release is imminent (though not yet showing on my 'puter). Have they ever announced a new version of Logic before without it being available within hours?

No but then again that's not the usual way of announcing a new version of Logic Pro X either... normally it's announced online, not at a live event, at least in recent years.

Yeah, the handwringing over the price of the new Mac Pro comes from the prosumers in this crowd, who are not the target market for this machine. Sure, some will still see it as a status symbol, but thankfully Apple has finally got their act together with the Mac and have spoiled their users with choices. One can get a $1300 Mac Mini and an inexpensive 3rd-party display and have a seriously potent music production machine for a small fraction of the cost of a baseline Mac Pro.

That monitor stand though... it was like the conference hall imploded when they announced that price.

I also see no significant difference between the new LPX version demoed and what we currently have. I don't see how things are "flatter." Maybe someone can elaborate.

Edited by nathanimal

based on that fact that the above specs also says High Sierra, we can deduce that this is the new version yet to be released at some point, somehow the specs leaked and it would appear that the next version will support 1000 inst channels, 1000 audio channels, 1000 busses, etc.. a bump up from what has been a 256 limit for many years.

If you use Multi instruments that gives you basically possibility of 16,000 instrument tracks. I think big templates should be no problem.

1000 instrument channels will still be benefit to older machines wanting large templates. Its not only that they could play 1000 tracks at once...its that you can even have a large template of tracks at all, previously not possible. This is a big update for LogicPro if true.