new logic version, 3june WWDC

fisherking

I just bought Logic Pro X yesterday and thought to myself, "Now Apple is sure to release a paid update tomorrow, because it serves me right for waiting so long!" So you're all very welcome, haha. Except now I'm hearing it's a free update, so maybe I'm just lucky... :)

(P.S. This is my first post here, so if you're reading this, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance!)

Can I just say how much I love David Earl, and how great that webinar was that you done a few years back with him was Mr Nahmani. I’d love to see another. :)

You could do a 2019 Mac Pro giveaway and only invite me cause I asked so nicely. ;)

Can’t see any hints to chord track or anything on those screenshots, have to presume this update is going to be under the hood performance changes and 28 core support added perhaps?

Main reason Logic is on this part of the conference is so they can show loyalty to as many facets of their ‘pro’ community as possible I guess?

Comparing specs between "new" version on US site, and "current" version on UK site... everything is either the same or better with the "new" US specs... EXCEPT... number of Space Designer presets is LOWER with the US version.

So.. fun speculation... maybe new Space Designer with thinned-out presets for some reason????

Let's hope they adressed at least the zoom issues. I would've never thought something seemingly so irrelevant would have the potential to drive me up against the wall. But it does, on a daily base, it's just *so* wrong on all accounts. For me personally, this is by far the worst thing that happened to Logic ever since I'm using it (in fact, the incredibly nice zoom options were a big part of making me fall in love back in the days).

Let's hope they adressed at least the zoom issues. I would've never thought something seemingly so irrelevant would have the potential to drive me up against the wall. But it does, on a daily base, it's just *so* wrong on all accounts. For me personally, this is by far the worst thing that happened to Logic ever since I'm using it (in fact, the incredibly nice zoom options were a big part of making me fall in love back in the days).

What issues are you having with the zoom functions ?

From what we know, it looks like we are approaching the next BIG version of Logic. Let's summarize. Two years ago Apple decided to turn around to pro community, because of the huge wave of (deserved) criticism. They gathered that "Pro workflow team" of pros and big names of creative industry (i think David Earl is a part of that team). Their intention was to make a computer pros need and to improve the software.

Now we see the first result of their work, a computer. And it's what most of us want, an improved Cheese grater.

I can't believe that the result of two years work of Pro workflow team in software domain is increased track count in Logic. They skipped winter NAMM. They must be concentraiting their efforts. They certainly have something new, but we'll see it right before or after MacPro release.

What issues are you having with the zoom functions ?

Uhm... let's see:

- Zoom level memory is lost when switching screensets.

- Zooming isn't accurate at all anymore. When you zoomed in over, say, two regions on two adjacent tracks (via mousdrag while holding CTL+ALT) in previous versions, the result would be that the zoomed in area would represent exactly the "window" you've dragged with your mouse. With LPX it's completely hit and miss - "miss" being the clear winner here. You never know what will happen. Sometimes the region on the upper track is centered, sometimes the region on the lower track. There seem to be no properly defined boundaries regarding where to start your zoom drag to get predictable results.

- You can't zoom in vertically only in the piano roll anymore, using the "window drag" approach.

- When zooming in vertically only (using the drag method) in the arrange, there's a sort of "grace range" before a vertical+horizontal zoom is triggered. With LPX that grace range has gotten considerably smaller compared to LP9 (and lower). You do now almost need to drag a pretty exact vertical line, which isn't all too easy with a mouse.

- Again using the drag method, you can't properly zoom in on very small audio regions anymore (I'm often creating/cutting cab/mic IRs which are only around 1000-2000 samples long). Usually it takes multiple zoom steps to zoom them in properly, whereas it'd just take one step in previous versions. Let alone handling (grabbing and moving) those small regions is completely messed up in addition.

- When you switch automation view on, zoom in and switch automation view off, a part of the zoom level is lost, you can always only go back to a zoom level equal to the default automation view track width, even if you were way zoomed out before.

Apart from the usual suspects (recording music and editing things), zooming around for me is probably the single most often used action in Logic. Hundred times per session or so. And especially the inaccurate "zoom-window" and the lost zoom memory when switching screensets (which I'm also doing all the time) are driving me nuts.

Edited by Sascha Franck

5999 DOLLARS ?? hahahaha is this a JOKE ?????.

Well, if you are a professional musician and composer you need an instrument.

6k for an instrument is not very expensive .

And if you are a successful professional you can earn 6k in some weeks, sometimes even days.

So no, this is not a joke.

I'm not particularly surprised at the price. this thing is really aimed at visual developers - video, cinema and games people who need a lot of horsepower and will pay for it. And Hans Zimmer wannabes. For the rest of us who don't plan using a thousand tracks and three orchestras, you can work fine with a decently priced iMac. A souped up Mac Mini would be good - i.e. iMac without the screen - and better spec'd than the most recent one.

This. Compared to a Hollywood studio it's cheap. But unfortunately there is no option for enthusiasts.

so.. now to be PRO I need 6000 USA Dollars ?????????????????.. well I guess I will never be a "PRO"

No you don't need a 6k Mac of course.

But if you are really into the industry of scoring and producing you need some reliable and excellent working equipment.

So Apple gives you the possibility.

I am a professional musician and the entire equipment (which, in my case, typically includes 2-3 guitars, a floorpedalboard, an amplification of some sorts and some bits of this and there) I bring in for a normal playing job doesn't even cost 6k.

I am a professional musician and the entire equipment (which, in my case, typically includes 2-3 guitars, a floorpedalboard, an amplification of some sorts and some bits of this and there) I bring in for a normal playing job doesn't even cost 6k.

Sure, if you are a performing artist you don't need a Mac Pro.

But if you are scoring and producing and dealing with hundreds of tracks a Mac Pro like the new one can be helpful.

Won't buy it either because I am very happy with my iMac Pro.

Glad I didn't wait, and instead bought the Macbook Pro LOL. I want to add my voice, delighted to see David Earl up there, it must be a David thing, I know at least 3 great Davids, one of them on here of course. I get the feeling the next Logic Pro X won't have anything earth shattering, or, maybe it will... I guess we'll know soon .

But if you are scoring and producing and dealing with hundreds of tracks a Mac Pro like the new one can be helpful.

Sure. But in my case, a workhorse, medium powerful computer would be the ticket. It's all about choice. Apple doesn't give me that choice anymore. Unlike any other product. I can buy guitars for 100 bucks or for 10k bucks. And for anything inbetween. I can update cheaper guitars by replacing hardware. Same goes for amps, pedalboards and what not. And the same goes for computers outside the Apple universe. Just Apple is not giving me much, if any choice.

Oh, just noticed that this is the "new Logic" thread. So I rather stop.

Flatter GUIs in the new Logic? is this a good thing? I thought we like to see nice 3d plug ins?

When I switched from LP9 to LPX (which still isn't that long ago), I was quite irritated about all the flattened things. By now I actually like them.

I was also quite critical with the flat design however now I'm completely supportive of what Logic did. I compare the GUI to Cubase and Studio One and I have to say I can work 10 times longer on Logic Pro X than those two other Daws simply due to the aesthetic selections the design team chose with logic. Very smart design choices for lessening eye fatigue!

Well I would love to but now that he works for Apple it's probably much harder or near impossible for him to do such public speaking appearances without going through a bunch of red tape... :(

When you see what Steinberg do with Cubase and their hangouts, wouldn't it be great if they (Apple) bought back SFNinja to engage with the Logic community via routine 'hangouts', tutorials or quarterly Q&As?. Would be brilliant as he always discovers a sideways look on how to achieve certain tasks.