new logic version, 3june WWDC

fisherking

But if you are really into the industry of scoring and producing you need some reliable and excellent working equipment.

So Apple gives you the possibility.

But they're screwing your back pocket as hard as they can for the possibilities, scoring and producing isn't making the money it once was, everyone has tightened up since the Trash Cans came out - a lot of companies bypass using composers in preference of sourcing affordable music from library sources, many of which are made by enthusiasts completely in the box.

Investing MORE money into hardware only pushes your prices higher as a composer and that has a greater knock on effect to the professional industry as a whole, i think people are much more aware of this - but of course, seeing those Mac Pro's certainly makes you go weak at the knees - but it's great branding and design by Apple once again! :)

Yeah i think maintenance update too, for that 28 core support.

I don't see them moving away from Logic Pro X though, It still feels as though it's developing to me and not a fully matured product. I don't think there will be any form of paid upgrade/new version until the move to ARM processors.

My guess is we'll get 10.5 soon, but it'll be a maintenance update. But closer towards the end of the year we'll see a totally new version of Logic

If it's 10.5, it's not a maintenance update, it's a major new version which will have new features - that's how this numbering system works.

A maintenance update would be eg 10.4.5.

I have two guitars that both costs 30000dkr. Which is about the same as the new cheese grater.

BUT more importantly i still run logic of my late 2012 mac mini with no problems. Quite heavy sessions too. Why does people think logic is suddenly unusable on mac non-pro machines. Sheesh.....

I have two guitars that both costs 30000dkr. Which is about the same as the new cheese grater.

BUT more importantly i still run logic of my late 2012 mac mini with no problems. Quite heavy sessions too. Why does people think logic is suddenly unusable on mac non-pro machines. Sheesh.....

Nothing to do with power, I'd say backwards compatibility. Forcing people to upgrade their operating system, whilst dropping support for older machines.

It's not unusable on non Pro Macs.Not at all!

But when you have to score a feature film with hundreds of virtual instruments and an expensive production in your back you are on the safer side with a reliable power Machine.

Nothing to do with power, I'd say backwards compatibility. Forcing people to upgrade their operating system, whilst dropping support for older machines.

And so it's happening as we speak. Catalina won't support the original cheesegraters anymore. Maybe Logic 10.4.4 is the last version I will ever use.

so.. now to be PRO I need 6000 USA Dollars ?????????????????.. well I guess I will never be a "PRO"

you can get a macbook pro, or an imac... and do 'pro' music work.

the new mac is going to be great for people with even greater need... serious FCPX people, people working in 3D... and logic people with the projects (and the budgets) to make such a mac worthwhile.

look at the specs (and yes, the design). it's expensive (hey! it's apple...), but i'd say it's well worth it.

That sucks but how old machines are you expecting apple to support?

Does anybody make cubase productions on a pc from 2010?

A mac mini is far more powerful than a 2010 cheesegrater. Why not upgrade to one of those? In time a 2010 cheesegrater will give up life anyway.

That sucks but how old machines are you expecting apple to support?

Wrong question. The right one would be: Why don't they support it anymore if there's no technical reasons (and I'd place a bet that there aren't any - I'm sure some hacks will appear pretty soon after Catalina is released).

A mac mini is far more powerful than a 2010 cheesegrater. Why not upgrade to one of those? In time a 2010 cheesegrater will give up life anyway.

Why would I? My machine is in mint condition.

Besides, no, a Mac Mini is *not* far more powerful. In terms of multithread performance under Logic, my machine still blows it away.

Logic is currently in its 4.4 version. The next version will be 5 for sure.

The focus is supposedly said to be on "performance", I agree. Of course they had the Mac Pro in mind, but they would realise new Mac Pro owners will only account for a very marginal user base when it comes to Logic. So the benefits will be more far reaching. The will include other improvements as well. They've had quite a while to work on things.

It might also tie in with their new SwiftUI implementation. When it was first introduced Swift had to seamlessly link with all their old developer libraries based on Objective-C and C. The long term plan was to eventually replace it all with new, more highly efficient frameworks leveraging all the technological advantages of Swift. making it lighter to run and easier to develop. This would include all the audio frameworks. 5 years later they seemed to have finally made the transition. It would have taken a huge amount of effort too.

So I suspect that performance improvements should be felt everywhere across the system, but with special attention on pro apps. I'm also hoping to see some workflow enhancements....

I hate to bang on an old point, but I hope it gets a native Dark Mode. I'm not a huge fan for the one here.

More powerful in what way? It's GPU? It's onboard storage? It's PCIe connectivity?! If all you want is a CPU and SDD in a box, yeah they're great - many people require more than that just to maintain their work and integrate with the hardware around them, surely it's not hard to empathise with that?

Only reason I switched away from my 5,1 Mac Pro was thunderbolt. I wanted better bandwidth for my apollo and my large collection of excellent dsp hogging UAD plugins LOL. I got a great price for my old Mac Pro too, they are very popular still with a lot of people still. I can see the signs on the wall though, Apple will kill them off via OSX updates or something.

Only reason I switched away from my 5,1 Mac Pro was thunderbolt. I wanted better bandwidth for my apollo and my large collection of excellent dsp hogging UAD plugins LOL. I got a great price for my old Mac Pro too, they are very popular still with a lot of people still. I can see the signs on the wall though, Apple will kill them off via OSX updates or something.

Nothing lasts forever. All things become obsolete eventually. They’ve had a very good run and I agree that the writing is in the wall.

Of course it’s not needed, at least not yet. I only recently updated from Sierra. but I am just sick and tired of apples obsolences games. The new macpro is too bloody expensive and now my 5,1 is being obsoleted. I’m just done.

And by the way, I don’t need a Mac to make music either.

I only recently updated from Sierra. but I am just sick and tired of apples obsolences games. The new macpro is too bloody expensive and now my 5,1 is being obsoleted. I’m just done.

How long do you think a computer should stay current in this day and age? More than 10 years?

Of course the new mac pro is expensive.

Apple never intended to give you a 2.5k machine and you know that.

First of all the 2012 5,1 MacPro is less then 7 years old. Second of all, there is no magic rule that says a computer should last for 7 years or less. The 5,1 still holds up. That’s a ridiculous argument. But more to the point, Apple is not providing a reasonable alternative moving forward. The mini's and iMacs are not my cup of tea and certainly will not support PCIe that I depend on. The MacPro is priced into the stratosphere and simply not an option. From here the obvious choice is PC windows for many prosumers, myself included...and aside from the fact that I will lose and miss LogicPro...there are plenty of alternatives that are quite nice on PC windows.

I will use this MacPro a couple more years as much as I can of course, but the future is looking pretty windowsy unless Apple provides a better path.

Edited by Dewdman42

There is no magic number that says a computer should last for 10 years or less. The 5,1 still holds up. That’s a ridiculous argument

So if it's still holding up, what are you complaining about?

Move over to Windows already and stop whining.

really. there are 3 choices: adapt & move forward, stay with what you have... or complain. and that last choice accomplishes absolutely nothing. or (bonus choice 4!) move to windows, and get back to work.

There is no magic number that says a computer should last for 10 years or less. The 5,1 still holds up. That’s a ridiculous argument

So if it's still holding up, what are you complaining about?

Move over to Windows already and stop whining.

Really uncool, trashy, and disrespectful response.

As I said already, my 5,1 still has a few more years of service in it, there is no reason to freak out and move yet and there is still time for Apple to correct their incredible stupid path...and that is the point of complaining! But in the next few years, if a better prosumer path is not provided by Apple, especially with the 5,1 being obsoleted, then I will have no choice but to try PC windows again...and believe me...I'm not excited about running windows, but it is what it is.

As I said already, my 5,1 still has a few more years of service in it, there is no reason to freak out and move yet and there is still time for Apple to correct their incredible stupid path...and that is the point of complaining! But in the next few years, if a better prosumer path is not provided by Apple, especially with the 5,1 being obsoleted, then I will have no choice but to try PC windows again...and believe me...I'm not excited about running windows, but it is what it is.

am sure apple will 'correct their incredible stupid path'... as soon as they read your post.

complaining to this community here accomplishes nothing. try this instead: https://www.apple.com/feedback/