Behringer B-Control BCF2000

I have a Behringer B-Control (due to I spent all my money on the input equipment... ha ha ha) and there is no template for it in Logic. I have it now on the Mackie Logic Control but I am not getting full function out of it and it sometimes hangs. Any idea how to get this working good and for Logic to recognize all of its buttons for what I want them to be?

Thank you in advance.

Oh. Lord! Prepare to bash you head against walls repeatedly. My roomate got one of these and we spent forever trying to figure out how to get it working.

I'm pretty sure you can't set this thing up in the Control Surfaces preference.

We found an environment (on Behringer's website I think) that we based an aoutoload around. It was buggy as hell! The play button didn't work but the stop button sure did, and and the BCF's fader's would sometimes skip tracks.

I eventually had to do a system restore and reinstall Logic (for other reasons). I opened Logic for the first time and VOILA: It worked. Perfectly. No BCF environment, no Control Surface Setup, nothing. I still don't know how it worked, but I'm definitely not messing with a good thing.

I wish you much luck on this particular endeavour.

Thank you all for the help. I have been playing around with the LCXview and it works... just have to play around with it to see if I can get it to do what I want it to do. The Mackie control surface seems to be the option I will go soon but for now this works. Just out of curiousity does anyone know if on the Mackie surface can you choose the track EQ and now use the sliders for the different frequencies? Anyway thanks again for all your help.

-Nick

Just out of curiousity does anyone know if on the Mackie surface can you choose the track EQ and now use the sliders for the different frequencies?

Yes, EQ frequencies can be controlled with the faders on the Mackie Control. Basically, select the track on which you want to work, and open the EQ using the EQ button in the Assignment section of the Mackie Control. You should see the EQ parameters in the LCD. Next, press the Flip button above the master fader, which will swap the V-Knob and faders. Now you have fader control of all the available functions of the EQ.

Regards,

Kevin Lamb

• 4 weeks later...

I had put my BCF2000 in a box in the closet in desperation. Just saw this posting and pulled it out. Can you please give me a very simple 123 on how to get this thing working with Logic Pro 7?

thanks thanks thanks

doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kouly, the number of downloads on an image attachment simply indicates how many times people read the thread, since everytime someone reads the thread, their browser has to download the image to display it.

I am sorry you pulled the file: I didn't have any use for them myself, but what we are trying to do here is to build a database of questions/answer and files to help all Logic users around the world. Maybe 50 people read that thread and no one needed the labels, but then again maybe once every 3 months someone will search the forum for the BCF2000 and will be sorry they can't find your labels.

Kouly,

I don't quite understand why you deleted your post!

Why wouldn't you want it available for others in the future?

It was a very thorough, well detailed post, exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for (and not available) when I was starting out with the Behringer unit.

It's a shame.

:(

There just seemed to be a fair amount of interest in a solution, then when I posted one ( which took over an hour of my time) only one person took the time to say thanks. I was fairly patient, I waited about two weeks. I even asked for some feedback and was ignored. So when no one else posted, I assumed that no one was really interested in my help.

Well after about a week of talking with people on the Logic Pro forum, I finally figured out how to get this thing working. Sorry there is no simple 123 with this thing. It is a simple 123456789 though.

1.Start by connecting the unit to a USB port or a MIDI port on your interface.(See Manual for the different reasons for using USB vs. MIDI connections.)This depends on how you want to use it. I am assuming you are like me and want to use the unit to control Logic and some of the different aspects of the program. You must decide what OPERATING MODE to put the BCF in. I suggest User mode 1, 2 or 3. Depends on how much equipment you have and want to use in your system. User mode 1 or U1 is for someone who has no keyboard controller and just wants to control Logic with the BCF (No midi cable needed). User mode 2 or U2 is for someone who has a midi keyboard and want to use it and maybe another piece of midi hardware such as a sound module. U2 allows you to pass your keyboards midi info to the external hardware as well as sending to Logic. U3 is for someone with 2 pieces of external midi hardware. In this mode you can have logic send midi data to both pieces of external hardware. (You will not be able to send your Keyboard controller midi info to the external units through the BCF, I am fairly sure you can have logic bounce the signal back to the external units. Check the Logic manual)

To put the unit in U1, U2 or U3, press and hold the third button from the left on the top level of the unit as you are powering it up. It will go into Logic Control Mode and then into EG or Edit Global mode. When it says EG you can release the button and turn the far left vpot to choose your operating mode. The fifth (from the left) chooses what Midi device ID you want to assign to the unit. (It must be different than any other external midi device you have or there will be problems.) After you are done assigning an ID press the exit button on the unit and it will return to LC or Logic Control Mode. You do not have to do any of this again as it will start up from now on in LC mode. Power off the unit.

Now go to Logic, for this next part to work, there has to be an open song or template. Go to preferences/control surfaces/setup. Under the VIEW menu choose> view as icons. Make sure there is no control surface on the right side, it should be empty. If there is a control surface there click on it then choose delete from the edit menu. From there go to the new menu, choose install. If you choose scan it won work, since there is no dedicated support. In the Install window click on the Mackie Designs Logic Contro so it is highlighted. Then click ADD.Then click DONE. Now there are some parameters to set up but I dont think most of them are essential to modify since the unit behave just like a Logic Control unit already. The couple of things I would tweek, beginning with....

There are three discolsure arrows on the setup window next to the three phrases. You can click on the name Logic Contro and rename it BCF2000 if you want, not a big deal. Click on the first arrow. It should show you your available midi ports and you can choose which on to use for communication with the BCF. Clicking on the second arrow opens the special parameters box, nother here is relevent unless you have a real Logic Control unit. The third arrow opens up a list of parameters that will take time to figure out. The one thing I would do there is make sure you turn Flip mode off. Other wise the unit will be in permanent flip mode. If you need to use flip mode, you can turn it on from the BCF.

The last thing to set up is the Control Surfaces Preferences. It is under the Logic Pro menu, Preferences>Control Surfaces>Preferences. Here is what I use...

Under the General preferences window.

Reletave resolution of controls..... somewhere in the middle (4175)

Maximum midi bandwith... 100%

The next three checkboxes are... Checked

Multiple controls per parameter.... 8

The next checkbox I leave.... Unchecked

The last two checkboxes are.... Checked

In the Help Tags window...

Everything is checked and I have a display duration of 2 seconds.

So there you have it. This is just to get you going. There is a map of the functions, the Logic Control Map that came with the unit if you bought it new. This is a must have since it shows which button controls what.

I would recommend reading the different publications on the Logic Control. I still have not figured out everything about this unit though I believe it will do almost everything a real Logic Control unit would do minus of course the LED readout. That is why there is LCX View. I hope this helps someone, I know this unit is a pain, but once it is setup, it really performs well.

Edited by Kouly

Horace,

funny - we've been doing some house restoration too. as for the dry rot...last year we thought we had some - but luckily someone we knew told us we were safe!

probably best to call in the pro's and get some expert advice. hope it;s not as it could be a big job to solve... good luck! :-)

Ronnie,

Many thanks for your concern, I live in sweden and houses here are made of wood, not like the good old bricks and morter of London town. We are actually ok as far as that is concerned, now on the insulation, what with winters reaching -20 it's needed !

Anyway back to Logic I suppose (no dry rot there).

• 3 months later...

so after Kouli aw4some explaination my bcf2000 is working =but the opposite way i want.

i want the bcf2000 to control the fader in logic but the faders in logic currently control the bcf2000.

i found online that if you start up the bcf2000 with the 3 top key on the left habd side starts the bcf up logic mode...but this is opposite to what i want---beringers website is hard to understand too...can any one help me?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kouly,

Thanks for your BCF2000 setup walkthru.

I too was about to return/sell or chuck this thing in the bin due to no results from hours of frustrating reading and programming.

The machine now behaves flawlessly! My only problem now is that a few functions are missing like Pan and Solo. I'm sure I can negotiate these now that the BCF is communicating to & fro properly.

Thanks again... you're the DUDE!

-Andy-

so after Kouli aw4some explaination my bcf2000 is working =but the opposite way i want.

i want the bcf2000 to control the fader in logic but the faders in logic currently control the bcf2000.

i found online that if you start up the bcf2000 with the 3 top key on the left habd side starts the bcf up logic mode...but this is opposite to what i want---beringers website is hard to understand too...can any one help me?

cheers

Hey Daz, I know this is an obvious thing but I thought I would mention it anyway.

The BCF does not have touch sensitive faders so it is best not used in Touch mode. If you keep it in Latch it should conrol the faders in logic with no problem. I use it all the time this way. If you still have problems after this let me know.

Edited by Kouly

In case your BCF has any quirky behaviour, like some of the things mentioned above.

I have three steps that usually get it back to its Purrrfect attitude.

I call it my 3 steps to a happy control surface.

1. Rebuild Defaults.

Preferences/Control Surface/Rebuild Defaults

If this does not work then go to #2

2.reinstall control surface in Logic

This is the one in the setup menu

delete old one, install a new "Mackie Logic Control"

If this does not work then go to #3

3. trash control surface preference file,

(This is in User/Library/Preferences/Logic/com.apple.logic.pro.cs)

empty trash

then restart your computer.

(NOTE: You may have to do #3 as many as four times before it works,

Logic can be stubborn, so be patient and determined. You are in control

and you have to remind Logic of this sometimes.)

IF these things do not restore it, I believe there is something else going on

in your system that is causing the problem. Posting system details will help

track it down.

• 1 month later...

first off, hi all,

secondly, am i doing something monumentally wrong here, i have followed the set up as stated above but when i turn the BCF2000 on holding the 3rd button from left, nothing happens it seems to start up in play mode ive tried it with other emulation settings and the same happens, do i need to upgrade the bcf? it displays 1.03 on start up! im using osx10.4.8,

and now hopfully i will be able to get this thing working!

thanks in advance for any help i may get from you!

EDIT: right ive answered my own questions through a bit of pulling out hair and spending a bit of extra time looking around the internet...so it seems i need the newest firmwear which, as far as im aware, i cant do due to only having a mac and i have no access to windows! so what i now need to know is how do i update using mac...this has surly got to be possible and also should i be able to find the bcf2000 on the mac?

first off, hi all,

thanks in advance for any help i may get from you!

EDIT: right ive answered my own questions through a bit of pulling out hair and spending a bit of extra time looking around the internet...so it seems i need the newest firmwear which, as far as im aware, i cant do due to only having a mac and i have no access to windows! so what i now need to know is how do i update using mac...this has surly got to be possible and also should i be able to find the bcf2000 on the mac?

You should be able to use the update since it is a SYSEX file. You will need to use

SysEx librarian ( a mac program) to send the update to the BCF. Once you launch SysEx librarian the program will see the BCF. Just choose the port on the BCF to send it too and it should work. If you need more help let me know.

Kouly

You should be able to use the update since it is a SYSEX file. You will need to use

SysEx librarian ( a mac program) to send the update to the BCF. Once you launch SysEx librarian the program will see the BCF. Just choose the port on the BCF to send it too and it should work. If you need more help let me know.

Kouly

hey, yeh i tried sysex librarian, as it was suggested by behringer, but when i tried to install it, it diddnt work, so i gave up, ill try it again and then if that doesnt work ill try borrowing a windows based laptop from my family when they come down and see me.

cheers for the help! and i hope this will work!

RA

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys.

Just a little problem im having. It may be a silly question but ill ask anyway.

How do i assign the different buttons to what i want them to be?

for example. if i wanted to chage the 'Channel Select' button to be the 'Solo' button.

Thanks in advance

Andy. :)

PS. Thanks for writing those intructions Kouly. They helped alot! :)