Free plug-ins

4 hours ago, NoPro said:

Not a plugin effect or instrument but this looks like a useful tool ! It’s an audio unit uninstaller ....

ihttps://www.widebluesound.com/audio-plugin-uninstaller/s

I installed it a couple of weeks ago. Works with Audio Units, VST, VST3, and AAX - used it a number of times and it seems to work exactly as advertised. Nice for those installers that install files you'll never use (like AAX). 

Edited by bcariou
  • Like 2

I think it's faster because it removes all the files installed along with a plugin - presets, application support stuff that gets installed, etc.. And it appears to be smart enough that if you uninstall one of the variants (AAX for example) it leaves whatever files the remaining plugin variants need to function in place. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bcariou said:

I think it's faster because it removes all the files installed along with a plugin - presets, application support stuff that gets installed, etc.. And it appears to be smart enough that if you uninstall one of the variants (AAX for example) it leaves whatever files the remaining plugin variants need to function in place. 

Thank you very much !

Audio Plugin Uninstaller does have at least one quirk that I hope the developer can iron out. It does not work with plugins that use a third party installer (Eventide and iZotope for example). I believe it relies on the receipt files the Apple installer generates when installing something, and I'm guessing some installers don't generate those files.

I've just tried it on my laptop. On this machine, which is "my mobile setup" I try to have only AU and not vsts or aaxs as I only use Logic on it and I want to keep it light, but some installers don't give you the choice and install all the versions of a plugin.

It seems to work well so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This has probably been shared, but TalReverb is a good free plugin
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-reverb-4

I was recently in touch with the developer because of 2 issues with the Mute button not stopping the sound when unmuting the plugin and the same for when we would stop and then play the song, the tail of a long reverb would still play. This has been fixed. If you download the plugin and it's not version 4.0.7, get in touch with the developer. I think he fixed this for me to test it and maybe didn't put it on his website.

I also suggested him that the ducking could have a knob to control how fast or slow the release is and he said it's something that he will be adding eventually.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FLH3 said:

Yes, there's no more the VCV Bridge pluging but the app is free hence you can load it and control it with Logic Virtual Output and get the sound back in Logic with GroundControl.

I guess Logic Virtual Output would be the IAC Bus? I'm on 10.6.3 so I don't know if that changed recently...

Yes, you can send the MIDI to VCV and then get the audio back into Logic, but it's not the same thing. You can't automate parameters, depending on your computer you will experience some latency, you need to save Logic's project along with VCV patches, the VCV Rack way of loading patches is super outdated (which I already suggested for a future update, a more 2023 browser where users can easily and quickly load patches instead of loading them one by one from Finder.

VCV Rack (free) is a great synth, but not versatile if you want to use Logic at the same time, imo.

7 hours ago, Danny Wyatt said:

I guess Logic Virtual Output would be the IAC Bus?

Logic Virtual Output is an other possibility to send MIDI in addition to  IAC or network, the choice appears in the possible MIDI inputs in VCV.

But I agree with you, working with VCV is not very easy, the recall is not efficient, etc... Actualy you get the idea to work with modular synths, which seems to be the purpose of this application. 🙂

On my side, even if I have this app on all my computers and keep it updated I should have used it 2 or 3 times, and I didn't bother with any recall, I recorded to audio.

I used Cardinal too and I did the same

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Danny Wyatt said:

I guess Logic Virtual Output would be the IAC Bus?

No, Logic 10.7.x added a new feature where Logic creates it's own virtual MIDI port you can use - "Logic Virtual In" and "Logic Virtual Out", which is available even if the user hasn't turned on the IAC bus in the Audio/MIDI Setup utility.

This means you can send stuff over MIDI to Logic only, without sending it to other apps receiving the IAC Bus.

53 minutes ago, des99 said:

No, Logic 10.7.x added a new feature where Logic creates it's own virtual MIDI port you can use - "Logic Virtual In" and "Logic Virtual Out", which is available even if the user hasn't turned on the IAC bus in the Audio/MIDI Setup utility.

This means you can send stuff over MIDI to Logic only, without sending it to other apps receiving the IAC Bus.

Oh ok. I’m still stuck to 10.6.3 so I won’t have that yet. Is that option faster, less prone to latency, since it seems to be an internal thing?

3 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

Is that option faster, less prone to latency, since it seems to be an internal thing?

No, it's just a regular old virtual MIDI port, CoreMIDI in macOS has supported virtual MIDI ports since the start. It's more a convenience that is right there, rather than the IAC bus, which is a less well-known thing and disabled by default, especially for the less tech-savvy musicians.

On 9/27/2005 at 3:16 AM, David Nahmani said:

What are your favorite freeware plug-ins to use with Logic?

Effects:

• Alex Hilton's A1StereoControl
  • Voxengo MSED
  • Ozone Imager 2
  • TDR Nova
  • TDR VOS Slick EQ

Instruments:

• Earlier this year I needed some fake vocals for a quick'n'dirty "nightly" demo so that the singers from one of my bands would have an idea how to phrase the lyrics to the melody, and I discovered Plogue's Alter Ego. It sounds a bit "sci-fi" but is much fun.

There used to be more on my list many years ago while I was on Logic Express 6/7/8, but these days Logic X already has almost everything else I need. (I also very much enjoy Helix Native and make use of the iZotope RX Advanced plugins, but those are not free.)

Edited by loukash

Seems fun.

As I'm not a DJ or a tekno track composer I'm not sure I could have any use for it, I don't even use the Logic's "Remix" plugin 🙂

Edit: incidentaly Jono Buchanan released some hours ago a YT video about using the Remix plugin in a less "DJ manner", in a more civilized way.

Edited by FLH3

I quote: "designed to elevate your music across a spectrum of genres", "embark on a sonic journey where there are no limits"!

At least.

Those marketing language elements are so funny. It's almost a form of art.

This plugin is free so I shouldn't laugh about as it's a generous gift from Sick Noise,  but you can read the same prose for paid ones.

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 1

Universal Audio LA2A MKII - Free until October 31st

free_plugin_la-2a_hero_@2x.thumb.jpg.49a9d2e9e86feb84b882f2a3ae2e2c33.jpg

"Every day, we are striving to give creators of all types more award-winning UAD plug-ins. To spread the word, we're offering everyone the legendary LA-2A Tube Compressor plug-in, absolutely free. Hurry, this unprecedented offer ends October 31st."

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/compressors-limiters/teletronix-la-2a-tube-compressor.html

Edited by des99
  • Like 2