Free plug-ins

RE: Universal Audio LA2A MKII - Free until October 31st

Just an FYI from the website:

Is this plug-in included in the LA-2A Collection?

No, this plug-in is brand new, and is not included in the LA-2A Collection.

EDIT: oh, and you have to install UA Connect. Another background process that in the best case just collects usage data for the plugin, but my suspicion is that it will collect all kinds of other tracking data. No thank you. I really despise this development in (not only) audio software over the past couple of years.

Edited by wonshu
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, wonshu said:

and you have to install UA Connect. Another background process that in the best case just collects usage data for the plugin, but my suspicion is that it will collect all kinds of other tracking data. No thank you. I really despise this development in (not only) audio software over the past couple of years.

I agree. And I always shut down the various downloaders and automatic updaters. I launch them only when I need them.

4 hours ago, wonshu said:

oh, and you have to install UA Connect

Yes, because this is the installer/updater/authoriser.

4 hours ago, wonshu said:

Another background process that in the best case just collects usage data for the plugin, but my suspicion is that it will collect all kinds of other tracking data. No thank you. I really despise this development in (not only) audio software over the past couple of years.

Hmm, some questionable assumptions there. No, it's not a background process, it's an app, and no, it's not collecting tracking data, and no, it doesn't have to be running all the time. I *only* run it manually when I want to install a new UADx plugin, or update them, and then quit it. It is not required for using the plugins.

Plenty of software has installer/updater apps, this is nothing new, and nothing nefarious.

4 hours ago, FLH3 said:

I agree. And I always shut down the various downloaders and automatic updaters. I launch them only when I need them.

Same.

Edited by des99

Acustica... Their plugins are usualy sooooooo cpu ungry, so badly optimized! Just put one of their plugin in your session and it eats 70% of the processor, yum yum slurp.... (OK I'm maybe exaggerating...) Sonicaly they're excellent, yes, but I gave up the idea to seriously use them 🙂

Maybe this one is better, light and efficient?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:29 PM, FLH3 said:

Acustica... Their plugins are usualy sooooooo cpu ungry, so badly optimized! Just put one of their plugin in your session and it eats 70% of the processor, yum yum slurp.... (OK I'm maybe exaggerating...) Sonicaly they're excellent, yes, but I gave up the idea to seriously use them 🙂

Maybe this one is better, light and efficient?

I have a very solid recommendation from a studio tech support authority to avoid acustica unless there’s an absolute must-have. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, bcariou said:

Little Plate by Soundtoys is free until the end of November.

https://forms.soundtoys.com/#/little-plate-promo

littleplate.thumb.jpg.72c83d336efbcd72a3ad01b5d8aa9237.jpg

I've just downloaded it, tried with a simple piano and I've to say this sounds realy good. Actualy I've put it in my "fav reverb" folder, with the Arturia rev Plate 140,  the UAD lexicon 224 and Supermassive.

Yes, not a lot of controls (mix, an hpf, a kind of modulation and duration, that's all) but it's efficient.

• Like 2

And as usual Native Access, white or black versions, is temperamental... The plugin can be installed on one machine  but when I launch Native access on an other Mac:  "invalid path bla bla bla..."

Anyway, I've already a ton of EQs and I use the Logic stock EQs 95% of the time 😁

17 hours ago, FLH3 said:

And as usual Native Access, white or black versions, is temperamental... The plugin can be installed on one machine  but when I launch Native access on an other Mac:  "invalid path bla bla bla..."

Anyway, I've already a ton of EQs and I use the Logic stock EQs 95% of the time 😁

Logic doesn’t have a transient EQ, though. 

• Like 1

You're right but I think I can live with that, I try to keep my mixes as my brain and my knowledge, simple. 🙂

Anyway this new thing is successfully installed on my main Mac, not the vacations' laptop, and I'll try it one of these days.

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...