LPX 10.3.2 is out

CCTMusic

Merlin:

am not denying the problem exists; the problem with the problem is... it isn't happening for everyone (which makes it harder to solve). still, this is an unusually-civilized forum, a great place to get help, and there's nothing to be gained by whining... repeatedly. anyway, will vanish from this thread now, not trying to pick a fight. 

I totally agree with your main point  that whining isn’t the way to go and I love these forums as well for the same reason you mention. My only concern is this: important here (in light of 10.3.2.) is that this bug still exists. And that point kind of got “drowned” by people saying they don’t have this issue personally and others questioning the "bug"-status of this issue. The thing is: you can verify on your own system if you have this issue, but you can not verify it easily (I had to repeat the same procedure over and over at different tempi etc. before it occurred). The thread over at Geraslutz suggests that this issue is tempo dependent. So maybe it’s not happening to everyone, but more likely a lot of us just never noticed it cause it occurs only sporadically. Whatever the case, the issue still seems to be here in 10.3.2. and that is important to have clear.        

Merlin:

am not denying the problem exists; the problem with the problem is... it isn't happening for everyone (which makes it harder to solve). still, this is an unusually-civilized forum, a great place to get help, and there's nothing to be gained by whining... repeatedly. anyway, will vanish from this thread now, not trying to pick a fight. 

I totally agree with your main point  that whining isn’t the way to go and I love these forums as well for the same reason you mention. My only concern is this: important here (in light of 10.3.2.) is that this bug still exists. And that point kind of got “drowned” by people saying they don’t have this issue personally and others questioning the "bug"-status of this issue. The thing is: you can verify on your own system if you have this issue, but you can not verify it easily (I had to repeat the same procedure over and over at different tempi etc. before it occurred). The thread over at Geraslutz suggests that this issue is tempo dependent. So maybe it’s not happening to everyone, but more likely a lot of us just never noticed it cause it occurs only sporadically. Whatever the case, the issue still seems to be here in 10.3.2. and that is important to have clear.        

fair enough. and if it's been around for so long, it should be addressed by apple...

I guess, it will eventually be, providing they can verify it themselves, and of course, find the appropriate solution...Like they did for so many other bugs before...

I understand that the well deserved ovation to the Apple Logic coding team goes for the new features and those bugs they have fixed successfully, so far.

Is it realistic to expect they will manage to fix all possible bugs while keep bringing new features?

• Wolfie2112:

Do you mean choosing the colors for the tracks and/or regions? If so, that's been an option for a while.

No, he meant that we can choose our own color palette. But let's be honest, Logic's color palette is pretty wide, is it really a critical for you to select some shades inbetween that we already have?

For me it is, yes - for two reasons:

1: I found being able to use black, white and gray in LP9 REALLY useful. Instant recognition of regions and tracks that stood out because they weren't 'colours' as such.

2: So many of the hues on the current colour selector are so close that I only find about 20% of them usable.

Love the update. Seems like some great stuff in here. As someone mentioned, the percussion drummer, with a swapped out full kit offers some fun new grooves. 

But 2 things I'd like to ask:

First, has anyone noticed any performance issues regarding native instruments, particularly Reaktor? I have a project, loaded with one audio track and 6 different instances of Reaktor/Form, and before I updated, my system could handle it fine, now I am getting "system overload" immediately. Any ideas? Checked the buffer, got it on maximum, and still no go. It definitely was working yesterday, and after the update, it can't run the project.

2. On a more positive note. Does anyone else notice a 'sound' difference? I can't quite put my finger on it. But I have. large project (Steve reich's 'electric counterpoint') that I've been working on for a few months, 12 guitars, layered and highly metronomically rhythmic. In some of the tracks I have used audio quantize, and it is also full of, obviously guitars, in similar registers. 

I updated Logic today, and then went to practice along with it, and it sounded much better! 

I can't figure it out. Nothing in my studio has changed, and I was playing it yesterday, so its fresh in my mind. 

Two things stood out: One, it seems like the audio quantize is working better, but it is strange because I had sorted out all the issues with it before, but the piece seems to be more grooving and providing the pulse better. 

Second thing is, the over all mix sounds better. The piece is 12 guitars with many of them playing the exact same phrase, at the same time, just rhythmically displaced, so one of my issues with recording it is to make it sound light. I've added eps etc, to make things gel and not mud. But today everything just sounded better!

Am I going happily crazy or has anyone else noticed anything like this? I'm wondering if there has been some polishing/dusting off of algorithms for certain features. Could that be possible? 

Anyway, aside from the overloaded Reaktor project, quite happy about thisupdate!

No, he meant that we can choose our own color palette. But let's be honest, Logic's color palette is pretty wide, is it really a critical for you to select some shades inbetween that we already have?

1: I found being able to use black, white and gray in LP9 REALLY useful. Instant recognition of regions and tracks that stood out because they weren't 'colours' as such.

2: So many of the hues on the current colour selector are so close that I only find about 20% of them usable.

I, too, am bothered by the color palette. I especially wish black were and option again as I use it to mark parts that I'm going to play live but want to leave in the arrange page. Sure there are work arounds, but there doesn't seem be a good reason to have taken away that feature. And yes, there are lots of available colors but some of the hues are too similar. I have excellent color perception but not everyone does. 

All that being said, this is a minor complaint about a program that I love using and am relieved that Apple keeps working making this program great.

1: ABSOLUTELY freakin unbelievable that they removed them. But little trick, you can import black regions from old sessions. Create a template that holds a black region and LPX can use it. Though white is not possible. 

2: YES, the hues look first quite ok in the color palette. But in the arrangement, with darker loops, 2 out of 4 hues in one column are hardly distinguishable. Gets very messy in a dense highly packed arrangement. For a lot of people I know also using Logic the color palette is way too big, they only use green or blue, audio or instrument anyway :D

Curiously i opened up the Logic demo song last night, and it was immediately obvious as to how that is laid out in track/folder stacks rather than using the full scope/shades of the colour schemes.  I may try and use them more as i really liked how clean the timeline was, in fact i had never noticed before that the individual tracks within a stack, do display within the 'parent' (?) region in lanes.

Colours are a nightmare for me with those mix of hues, i have a dual monitor setup and when getting my displays (a month apart) i thought i was buying identical pair but turns out, one is LCD the other LED and the difference in just whites, let alone colours is silly big - so i can totally appreciate why people would like to be able to customise colours, some of those shades are a waste.

what i'd like with colors: to be able to pre-determine things, so that, for example, audio files are always blue (every time i bounce in place, i change the new audio file to blue); or to be able to set a color for all regions in a track stack. but, not life&death, am happy the GUI is more responsive on my retina mac, and, so far, everything's stable as could be...

And Reaper new AI automation (still in beta) which makes me think logic automation is a weak point, at last for my needs.

Tbh, you can do a lot Automation Item does with region based automation in logic. at least per this video:

you can create a new lane/instance of the same ch. strip, create a midi region (empty) on either inst. or audio track, then loop the automation, stretch it, etc, once you have the basic shape down (which should take two clicks anyway)

And Reaper new AI automation (still in beta) which makes me think logic automation is a weak point, at last for my needs.

Tbh, you can do a lot Automation Item does with region based automation in logic. at least per this video:

you can create a new lane/instance of the same ch. strip, create a midi region (empty) on either inst. or audio track, then loop the automation, stretch it, etc, once you have the basic shape down (which should take two clicks anyway)

It takes more than 2 clics to draw a simple curve in LPX. And it not possible to draw a complex curved, for example a sine wave pattern with a fade in and fade out.

Can you do that in LPX at 2:00 :

It takes more than 2 clics to draw a simple curve in LPX. And it not possible to draw a complex curved, for example a sine wave pattern with a fade in and fade out.

Can you do that in LPX at 2:00 :

Actually yes, i do similar stuff very often. You create one cycle of a pattern in a region, either automation or midi CC, and then you loop it. Then you can stretch the loop by option-dragging said region. all the time you have the midi notes/audio data on a separate track "lane" untouched. I do it all the time when i need recurring automation. It's also super easy to move it around project and copy it elsewhere.

so if you follow me, you create a single cycle of sine/saw/whatever, then you loop that, and you can stretch it to adjust length, and you just need to adjust one point to adjust them all, since they're looped.

I work similar as Ploki with the automation regions. 

Reaper has some cool stuff, that Logic doesn't. Yes. It's easier to create such shapes. But Region based automation is in Logic since version 8. Since then I use that for looping, stretching, copying, etc. of automation regions. A lot of people doesn't know that. 

On the other hand (as far as I know), Reaper doesn't have Aliases. So after creating your region automation loops, for instance 3 different ones, and after you arranged them, you realize you need to change just a couple automation points. Easy in Logic. Edit the originals and all Aliases will follow. No need of redo the arrangement of the regions. VERY STRONG feature. 

Look at this: Studio One crazy awesome automation curves :shock:. look at 11:28  

And this on 14:00  

Logic need this :D :shock:

2. On a more positive note. Does anyone else notice a 'sound' difference? I can't quite put my finger on it. But I have. large project (Steve reich's 'electric counterpoint') that I've been working on for a few months, 12 guitars, layered and highly metronomically rhythmic. In some of the tracks I have used audio quantize, and it is also full of, obviously guitars, in similar registers. 

I updated Logic today, and then went to practice along with it, and it sounded much better! 

I can't figure it out. Nothing in my studio has changed, and I was playing it yesterday, so its fresh in my mind. 

Two things stood out: One, it seems like the audio quantize is working better, but it is strange because I had sorted out all the issues with it before, but the piece seems to be more grooving and providing the pulse better. 

Second thing is, the over all mix sounds better. The piece is 12 guitars with many of them playing the exact same phrase, at the same time, just rhythmically displaced, so one of my issues with recording it is to make it sound light. I've added eps etc, to make things gel and not mud. But today everything just sounded better!

Am I going happily crazy or has anyone else noticed anything like this? I'm wondering if there has been some polishing/dusting off of algorithms for certain features. Could that be possible? 

Anyway, aside from the overloaded Reaktor project, quite happy about thisupdate!

I would believe so. 

Since practicing with the same instrument every day, I noticed the (Keyscape) piano sounds tighter cleaner harmonically and the stereo placement is more precise too. A refreshing delight to my ears. Just for that improvement, the update is highly valuable.

I also find the loops rendtion in general more defined.

It is now possible to adjust either the pan or spread position of a Stereo Panner using a mouse or swipe gesture on a Magic Mouse, or two-finger swipe on a track pad

Does this work for you in the mixer window? 

For me it only works in the Inspector. The same for the fader. 

I have a Logitec mouse, but can that be the cause, because it works in the inspector. 

Look at this: Studio One crazy awesome automation curves :shock:. look at 11:28  

And this on 14:00  

Logic need this :D :shock:

well this is different than reaper automation items. This indeed looks cool

It is now possible to adjust either the pan or spread position of a Stereo Panner using a mouse or swipe gesture on a Magic Mouse, or two-finger swipe on a track pad

I have a Logitec mouse, but can that be the cause, because it works in the inspector. 

Yeah this feature only seems to work in the Inspector for me too... not in the Mixer. Bummer...

Yeah this feature only seems to work in the Inspector for me too... not in the Mixer. Bummer...

Thanks for confirming... this is kinda strange. Why such a difference? Or is it just a mere bug?