Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

Has anyone installed Sierra on an unsupported Mac and also installed Logic 10.4? I've found patches to allow Sierra to install without issues on my MacBook Pro 5,5. I'm wondering if Logic 10.4 will have a problem with such a configuraton. Anyone done similar?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135252&start=160#p692584

"Haven’t had a chance to test .4 yet, but sure am excited about it!

For what it’s worth, I’ve got an early 2009 Mac Pro, ie. 4.1 that capped as is at El Cap. “Zapped” it with ‘Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool’ to look like 5.1 and have been running Sierra for a year and now 10.3.3 successfully. Only thing is that my particular WiFi card doesn’t work, but I’m using Ethernet anyway. Will try 10.4, too, next week.

PS. YMMV. I’m in no way responsible if you try the firmware zapping and it doesn’t work. With this tool it’s reversible, though, so should be easily undone, should stuff not work after."

Do i really need to download 112GB of content from the App Store twice?

No, you can just copy over what you need.

You mean manually copy the content folders? i saw a thread on GearSlutz that indicated that Logic will not recognize the content this way, due to the lack of the package receipts.

Has anyone installed Sierra on an unsupported Mac and also installed Logic 10.4? I've found patches to allow Sierra to install without issues on my MacBook Pro 5,5. I'm wondering if Logic 10.4 will have a problem with such a configuraton. Anyone done similar?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135252&start=160#p692584

"Haven’t had a chance to test .4 yet, but sure am excited about it!

For what it’s worth, I’ve got an early 2009 Mac Pro, ie. 4.1 that capped as is at El Cap. “Zapped” it with ‘Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool’ to look like 5.1 and have been running Sierra for a year and now 10.3.3 successfully. Only thing is that my particular WiFi card doesn’t work, but I’m using Ethernet anyway. Will try 10.4, too, next week.

PS. YMMV. I’m in no way responsible if you try the firmware zapping and it doesn’t work. With this tool it’s reversible, though, so should be easily undone, should stuff not work after."

Thanks. Good to know. i just had to zap some lurking M-Audio Firewire drivers from my MacBook Pro 5,5 Sierra volume because they were causing kernel panics when i plugged in my TC Electronic Digital Konnekt x32. Luckily there's the hacked version of the M-Audio drivers out there, because the normal M-Audio uninstaller didn't work but the hacked uninstaller does. i couldn't find the files myself. i'm now running Logic 9.x on Sierra with the Konnekt x32 and it seems okay. Next step is to spend the money on Logic X... and then figure out how i'm going to avoid downloading it TWICE.

please please please, support El Cap

Sierra minimum, darn it!

This is SO annoying. What's more, I seriously doubt there is any real technical reason why Logic X 10.4 actually NEEDS Sierra to run, it's just typical Apple bullying tactics, forcing you to upgrade the OS, which for many people would require updating the hardware.

Sierra minimum, darn it!

This is SO annoying. What's more, I seriously doubt there is any real technical reason why Logic X 10.4 actually NEEDS Sierra to run, it's just typical Apple bullying tactics, forcing you to upgrade the OS, which for many people would require updating the hardware.

Agreed. i went so far as to put Sierra on an officially unsupported MacBook Pro 5,5, which was itself arbitrarily dropped by Sierra. With the patches made available by others, i was able to put Sierra on it and it seems to work okay so far (except for this kernel_task CPU usage question). i wasn't planning to go to Sierra at all on either of my machines. Logic X was finally on my "to buy now" list (finally had the money), and Logic 10.4 came along days before i made the purchase, cutting my El Capitan systems out of the minimum requirements. i'm now putting the unsupported machine through its paces with Logic 9.x to make sure i want to go through with this whole plan... if it works out, i'll be buying Logic 10, finally.

You mean manually copy the content folders? i saw a thread on GearSlutz that indicated that Logic will not recognize the content this way, due to the lack of the package receipts.

Many ways to do this, but the easiest has to be using Migration Assistant.

Migration Assistant will copy Logic Pro X and all the associated files over to your new/other mac.

Sierra minimum, darn it!

a 'serious doubt' is not the same as a fact; do you have any facts that support your theory? generally, there are reasons for an app to require a minumum OS. certainly, for example, people run an older photoshop on a newer "unsupported" OS, but... give us evidence, or, accept that things are as they are. (just a thought).

Ok. I figured the full size of a new sound library. ~1,82 Gb of impulse responses, plus ~28,16 Gb of loops, plus ~61,49 Gb of samples in logics folder, plus ~21,21 Gb of garageband instruments, which gives in sum ~112,68 Gb. Quite an amount.

Is there any way to avoid downloading this content repeatedly to install on more than one Mac? i just upgraded my MacBook Pro 5,5 to Sierra (normally unsupported) so i can move to Logic X. I'm going to want to put it on my main machine (a Sierra-supported iMac) too. Do i really need to download 112GB of content from the App Store twice?

Yes there is. I actually created a text file with the instructions and saved it for future reference. Hope it helps:

After it downloads the content, DON'T TYPE THE PASSWORD YET when it asks to install, as it will delete all installers after the instalation.

It will say "installing" after the download. Don't freak out. It WILL ask for the admin password ;)

Go to Finder > Go > Go To Folder

Type /private/var/folders/

Find a folder that ends with "gn" (I guess the ZZ folder is not the location you're looking for).

Inside that folder (that ends with "gn"), look for the C folder. Inside that C folder look for the "com.apple.MusicApps" folder. There you will find audiocontentdownload.apple.com. Inside that folder, you will find all installers. Copy them to a hard drive. Go back to Logic and type the admin password

When installing on a new computer (or reinstalling) try to copy the folder "lp10_ms3_content_2013" (or 2016) to that same folder audiocontentdownload.apple.com and see if it works, if Logic recognizes it when opening.

Go to Logic Pro X menu > Sound Library > Download all available sounds

It will start downloading any sounds that are missing or just start installing, since it recognizes all the other installers on that folder

I downloaded 10.4 last night and I must tell you: what a great update!!! I love the new Space Designer layout. It was about time and not just the look itself, but how things are more organized, in my opinion. I also LOVE that Chromaverb has the Freeze button. I was keeping Ambience plugin just for that, but now it's time to just dump it :P (as some of you know, I'm all about stock plugins, more and more, so this is perfect).

And well, the new Phat and Step FX... oh my god (and I'm not even religious lol). Those two alone are a great reason for someone to buy Logic. The amount of things that come with them, the distortion types, the modulation option (especially on the Step FX)... wow... I was playing with it for a few minutes and I could automatically see myself making new songs every 10 minutes hahaha

There are some fixes that I'm really happy about and one of them is that the audio editor is again working properly with the horizontal zoom when using a Magic Mouse. That was driving me nuts since I upgraded from Logic Pro 9.

Also the feature that automatically shows the automation when clicking a knob or fader... yes, Apple!!!

So far, if I could rate this update, I would give it 4 stars out of 5 (just because they still can't fix certain things that to me are too logical - no pun intended - not to be fixed, but other than that...)

Sierra minimum, darn it!

Believe what you want. Illuminati, Apple bullying tactics, whatever rocks your boat.

But if you think softwares are best written using old APIs with some dried leaves and some ancient stones, that we shouldn't be getting Metal support with our lovely Chromaverb, that Apple developers should write programs without Swift 4 support with all the current API's & SDK's, then let me know when ur running for president.

I will definitely vote for you.

Believe what you want. Illuminati, Apple bullying tactics, whatever rocks your boat.

But if you think softwares are best written using old APIs with some dried leaves and some ancient stones, that we shouldn't be getting Metal support with our lovely Chromaverb, that Apple developers should write programs without Swift 4 support with all the current API's & SDK's, then let me know when ur running for president.

I will definitely vote for you.

Come on, guys! There's no need to start a personal thing here. Let people share their thoughts and frustrations the way they want.

Regarding of software and hardware being developed and tweaked, we all know that companies want to make profit and one way to do it is by forcing buyers into buying new things. That's why they removed the USB ports and also that headphone jack on the iPhones. It's a business. Regardless of them saying that they did it for A or B reasons, there's also the profit factor and we can't deny that. Am I saying that it's the only reason? Of course not. But it is what it is. As someone said and I 100% subscribe to that, great music can be done with even Logic 8 or Logic 9, as long as we know how to use the tools, so we don't have to update/upgrade our studios all the time. So if we are not happy with something that Apple does, let's not update/upgrade until it doesn't work anymore. I understand that certain updates bring those features we've been asking for such a long time and it's kinda frustrating that we can't update based on the hardware and the OS, but... it is what it is... we have to accept it and move on.

But yeah, let's not make this a personal thing. There's no need to! :)

But yeah, let's not make this a personal thing. There's no need to! :)

There's nothing personal, I just thought it'd be cool to have a new president :(

Haha... that's true... I agree with that. At least we would have a president who makes music. I'm sure this world would be a better place.

Migration Assistant will copy Logic Pro X and all the associated files over to your new/other mac.

Does Migration Assistant allow me to select ONLY Logic X, or will it just migrate everything? On the same GearSlutz forum thread i mentioned, someone pointed out that Migration Assistant only migrates entire Application folders. i don't want to do that. My storage space is at a premium. i don't want to duplicate all of my apps and data on two volumes.

Oh man, i've been reading about this tool, and it's got me really curious now - i knew i should've just ignored this thread!!! lol.

My Mac Pro is the on the list as losing the Wi-Fi support too if i were to run the 'zapped' update, which isn't a biggy in itself as i always run via ethernet, however do you use Bluetooth mouse/keyboard/trackpad and know if they still work? I read a few reports were they had stopped working, so wasn't sure if it's related to the WiFi or not (Sometimes these things are integrated/linked to a single device/driver. Cheers.

Edited by skijumptoes

Does Migration Assistant allow me to select ONLY Logic X, or will it just migrate everything? On the same GearSlutz forum thread i mentioned, someone pointed out that Migration Assistant only migrates entire Application folders. i don't want to do that. My storage space is at a premium. i don't want to duplicate all of my apps and data on two volumes.

IIRC you can select in detail what you need to migrate. Else you can look for the biggest folders logic occupies. (mac hd > library > app support > logic i.e. has EXS and Alchemy content), then copy it manually. then just go through content installer and select thing that say "incomplete" and it will be a much smaller download.

Step drawing automation... pretty cool!!! :D

step editing.gif

Indeed very cool. It appears that the step length is tied to zoom i.e. if you want a narrower step length you have to zoom in more - this will take some getting used to - I wonder if there's another way?

Use the "Snap -> Snap Automation" menu at the top of the Tracks Area for setting a fixed step width.

"Snap, cut and region positioning issues!"

can't believe apple logic theme is not fixing this BUG_ sort of dead end_

I have a new_ way to reproduce this very STRANGE_ bug, not only when splitting_ steps_

1_ create a new "empty project from logic templates"

2_ enable cycle mode_ and set the tempo to 199. and add a audio track and record audio

3_ duplicate the track

4_ record on the second track_

5_ select all in the main windows with command duplicate selectiion

6_ zoom a lot and see the end zones recorded_ how they start to shift position the more you duplicate them_ in the end of the zones the more they start "shifting".

I reported to apple like 25 times. 2 times they responded and I send the project etc_ and never got and answer back. end of the history __

PLEASE report this bug to apple.

Hello Friend! I tested it several times here and this bug did not happen. My Mac is 2014, Sierra 10.12.3 (it was on 10.12.6 and I went back to 10.12.3 because some plugins were unstable)

do you use Bluetooth mouse/keyboard/trackpad and know if they still work? I read a few reports were they had stopped working, so wasn't sure if it's related to the WiFi or not (Sometimes these things are integrated/linked to a single device/driver. Cheers.

I use the bt Magic Mouse, yeah.

Apple has a long history of outdating its hardware too quickly. We can speculate wildly about whether they are doing this on purpose to force people to buy new computers or if they are just stupid in the way they create non backwards compatible API's and frameworks, or both. But its all a moot point. They've been following this paradigm for decades it should come as a shock to absolutely nobody. If you want to use Apple products, then you have to accept this fact, spend some dough and move on. That's all there is to it. If you don't like that train, then get off it and try windows for a while. I did, but after some years on the windows train I came running back to OSX, which is just so much better...it is what it is. The simple truth is they will come out with a new Super Retina display or touchbar or Siri that can read your mind or whatever..and when they upgrade the OS to support it they will break older Mac's and then they will have to officially discontinue supporting the older macs. Mind you, I think this is lame beyond reason, its either on purpose and evil or just perhaps stupid engineering, but either way it doesn't matter because they've been doing that for decades and if I want to use Logic and OSX, then I have to be prepared for this to happen and ready to move on when it does.

As for now I'm on 8 year old hardware that is running Sierra just fine. I can easily recommend Sierra. I cannot recommend High Sierra.

Apple has a long history of outdating its hardware too quickly. We can speculate wildly about whether they are doing this on purpose to force people to buy new computers or if they are just stupid in the way they create non backwards compatible API's and frameworks, or both. But its all a moot point. They've been following this paradigm for decades it should come as a shock to absolutely nobody. If you want to use Apple products, then you have to accept this fact, spend some dough and move on. That's all there is to it. If you don't like that train, then get off it and try windows for a while. I did, but after some years on the windows train I came running back to OSX, which is just so much better...it is what it is. The simple truth is they will come out with a new Super Retina display or touchbar or Siri that can read your mind or whatever..and when they upgrade the OS to support it they will break older Mac's and then they will have to officially discontinue supporting the older macs. Mind you, I think this is lame beyond reason, its either on purpose and evil or just perhaps stupid engineering, but either way it doesn't matter because they've been doing that for decades and if I want to use Logic and OSX, then I have to be prepared for this to happen and ready to move on when it does.

As for now I'm on 8 year old hardware that is running Sierra just fine. I can easily recommend Sierra. I cannot recommend High Sierra.

you can't recommend high sierra because you tried it, and found issue? (honestly, my day-to-day experience seems little different than in sierra, altho my macs both seem more responsive, and stable). honestly, opinions, ranting, and theories have little to do with fact. all tech progresses, and, as OSes develop, the need for hardware to support it happens. if it bothers you, that's ok. but it's how things work in the real world...

Thanks for your rant..

There are many users reporting problems with High Sierra, and some audio software manufacturers are still not recommending it. A few people having success can't erase many people having problems. So for now, no...I cannot recommend and will not be trying it myself until an overwhelming number of people are running audio applications without issue.

Sierra on the other hand is well established as working fine in most all audio situations

cheers

There are some fixes that I'm really happy about and one of them is that the audio editor is again working properly with the horizontal zoom when using a Magic Mouse. That was driving me nuts since I upgraded from Logic Pro 9.

I’m so happy about this! I use a Magic Trackpad instead of a mouse and this always bugged me.