MacOS Sonoma is out. Please report any plug-in incompatibilities.

Where you expecting one? I don't recall simultaneous macOS and Logic releases in the past, so I have no reason to expect one now. If Logic required work to make it Sonoma compatible, that would have been done for earlier updates, so it's ready for the new macOS release on day one...

Having said that, FCPX/Motion/Compressor got updates a week or two back, so it's not impossible we get another update soon. But not necessarily...

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, des99 said:

Where you expecting one? I don't recall simultaneous macOS and Logic releases in the past, so I have no reason to expect one now. If Logic required work to make it Sonoma compatible, that would have been done for earlier updates, so it's ready for the new macOS release on day one...

Having said that, FCPX/Motion/Compressor got updates a week or two back, so it's not impossible we get another update soon. But not necessarily...

Some of us who would benefit from ARA were. Apple started support for ARA2 in 2018 and broke it in 2020. ARA has now been broken longer than it's been in the DAW, because they need to re-work the ARA implementation for how Apple Silicon handles processes.

And for anyone saying to run Rosetta, we're now deep enough into Apple Silicon where a lot of software doesn't work with Rosetta.

Edited by sunbrother
  • Like 2

Question: Can anyone who has iLok machine authorisations confirm that they stay intact when you upgrade the OS? Or did you need to deactivate them first?

(I'm assuming the former, but would like to have that confirmed by someone...)

Asking for me.

Edit: Machine activations hold through the upgrade OK. 👍

Edited by des99

11 minutes ago, Ashermusic said:

As of September 20, at least: “Currently, Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported on macOS 14 Sonoma. We cannot recommend to update to macOS 14 at this point.”

'not supported' does not automatically mean 'not working'. i've used massive X (my only official NI plugin) all thru the betas, and currently on the final OS release. and my izotope plugins (ok, not technically NI) all work...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PP1965 said:

In my experience Steinberg's Halion 7 dialog windows appears empty.

Steinberg seems to have problems with a changed graphics API, this affects a couple of their products. From what they said, this will be fixed both by Apple in a maintenance update to Sonoma and later by Steinberg by properly updating their code to use newer APIs.

3 minutes ago, Steve Crown said:

Steinberg seems to have problems with a changed graphics API, this affects a couple of their products. From what they said, this will be fixed both by Apple in a maintenance update to Sonoma and later by Steinberg by properly updating their code to use newer APIs.

Steinberg's Mac support has been unimpressive for a long time

The debacle that was Cubase 4, when they first had Intel Mac support, was so egregiously bad that I switched to Logic. I was a Cubase user from 1996 to 2008. In the 90s it was great on the Mac. 

It's a shame because HalionSonic is a *super* powerful and great sounding plug, but it runs like crap in Logic and I host it in VEP on a separate Mac. 

Edited by redgreenblue
typo

And... my audio SSD (Samsung T7) just got corrupted and couldn't be mounted, or repaired by Disk Utility. Which is somewhat concerning...

I had some performance issues where the kernel was getting bogged down (easy to see as the mouse cursor gets glitchy, and other glitchy behaviour, and a higher than expected kernal task load in Activity Monitor). Seems this was related to USB (I had swapped over my SSDs and USB devices between the USB-C and USB3 port on my hub a week ago), and while Monterey didn't have any problems with this, Sonoma seemed to be struggling with the SSDs over USB.

And consequently, which I can't help feel is related, one of the SSDs got corrupted.

I reverted to the earlier USB cable config, and the glitchiness seems to have gone, so I'll restore the SSD, and hope the behaviour doesn't return...

• Sad 1