MacOS Sonoma is out. Please report any plug-in incompatibilities.

So i've been waiting so long to do the switch to Ventura that i stopped thinking about it pretty much completely. And now the Sonoma update just sorta snuck up on me.  And i'm realizing that since the last big update i have forced myself to become less reliant on 3rd party plugins for that reason. So I checked my interfaces and plugins just now and found this:

Plugins:

• Line6 PodFarm 2.5 - Ventura-, Sonoma-no info but they usually take months at Line6
  • Waves Audio - compatibility info and upgrade info are a mess... and have always been, which is why i barely use them anymore anyway and i only really found vocal rider and bass rider helpful.  But those have been working long past what their site says they would, so i'm willing to gamble with them.

Interfaces/hardware:

• Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen - Ventura-, Sonoma-
  • Spark Mini (actually pretty good as an interface). No interface specific compatibility info on their site, but it has been working fine in Monterey.

Since i'm really only "totally" dependent on the Focusrite as an interface and that works with both os', do you guys think i should Update to Ventura and see how that stuff all works before moving to Sonoma? Or should i even bother with that step, and just go str8 to Sonoma in a few weeks say?

I bit the bullet yesterday and upgraded to Sonoma - in part it was to see if I could finally provide some advice back to @Ashermusic re whether OPUS worked (a small return for the good advice/knowledge he’s provided here over the years). But I see he beat me to it.

All seems fine on the music front so far (OPUS, Kontact 6, U-he, Moddart).

On other fronts: the settings for the screen wallpapers don’t seem to be working as they should; some the new behaviours of the desktop will take some getting used to; and, that orange icon in the top bar (yuck visually jarring).

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, des99 said:

The Focusrite is class compliant anyway - it needs no driver - so there is no reason to think it wouldn't work.

I can't tell you what to do, but I skipped Ventura, and went from Monterey to Sonoma, and it's been fine for me.

Evidently so is the Spark, but they still wouldn’t commit to a 👍🏼

IMG_4824.thumb.jpeg.0d28a32e9392bcbf552691c69f6c0f2f.jpeg

I just upgraded my system. Went from a 2012 Mac mini to a 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, and as soon as I got it I did a clean install of Sonoma. Why the hell not, I said.

All my hardware worked including my amt8 and mt4s, however I had to re-download the driver. Surprisingly, PG-8X is working great, and so is the last version of Albino, and even Poly-Ana from Mr Grumpypants, anti-apple, Admiral Quality. 

I have a few issues with Papen's plugs - Vecto, Quad, Go2 and BIT make Logic crash. Predator 3 works fine. Sent in a ticket.

I am very surprised that the plugins I've installed so far are working. There's stuff I didn't expect to work, like the aforementioned PolyAna and PG-8X which is why I held off for so long. Those are my two main synths. 

I do have ONE annoying issue, and I'm not sure if it's just me or what. I get the spinning wheel of death when I attempt to open some Intel+Monterrey projects. I haven't installed every single plugin that I used on that machine, so I get the 'this plugin is missing' screen, and I can hit continue, but that's where it stops. I have to force-quit Logic, and upon reopening the same project, it'll work. I've been doing this regularly now. Not sure what is going on.

Other than that, all good. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, enossified said:

It's class compliant so it should just work. Drivers are only needed for Windows.

Thanks very much for your answer. I took a chance and updated to Sonoma and everything is fine, as it would be given your explanation 🤣

• Like 1

Hello using a focusrite 4i4 having trouble recording theres no sound reading for my input 2 when i change input 1 there is tried recording but it was distored very messed up signals and laggy, deleted and reinstall logicpro issue still pursued tried garage band no issues is this a bug or smth?

54 minutes ago, SamCerro said:

I seem to be experiencing an issue with AUmultibandcompressor, I only get the editor page ....and then something called remote view which is utterly useless.

Confirmed - "remote view" is the graphic GUI interface, but this isn't loading here on Sonoma, only controls view works. Looks to be an Apple issue - it doesn't work in other hosts, either.

Edited by des99

This site is a great resource for solutions as well as prevention. I’m glad I checked here first… So if I’m counting right, regarding Sonoma, that’s one manufacturer of a class compliant device that won’t commit, 2 class compliant devices having issues, and now a couple native plugins with issues. 

Pretty much all I need to hear to sit tight for now.  🫤

Did anyone who updated to Sonoma without experiencing issues have any issues before when updating to Ventura?

When I updated to Ventura I had to fix quite a bit so I’m wondering if updating to Ventura was just as problematic for those who recently updated to Sonoma without any issues ?

36 minutes ago, Bp300 said:

Did anyone who updated to Sonoma without experiencing issues have any issues before when updating to Ventura?

When I updated to Ventura I had to fix quite a bit so I’m wondering if updating to Ventura was just as problematic for those who recently updated to Sonoma without any issues ?

for me, there was no issue moving to sonoma (and i started on beta 1); my plugins worked, logic worked. some plugins i don't use (ie plugin alliance) do have issues, so... worth checking re your specific needs..

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 6:42 AM, Ashermusic said:

As of September 20, at least: “Currently, Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported on macOS 14 Sonoma. We cannot recommend to update to macOS 14 at this point.”

What a shocker! I still have issues with certain NI stuff simply working under M1/Ventura!

7 hours ago, zipb said:

What kind of issues?

Anytime an alert sound would be triggered, it would cause the audio to go all glitchy. Even if the alerts sounds were turned off. Notifications would cause audio glitches. This in turn would stop Logic and ProToolsUltimate. 

So doing any serious work, was like walking on egg shells.  

Now on Sonoma, I can go all day, with Pro Tools (running 280+ tracks/objects), the DOLBY Renderer, GingerAudio SPHERE and Logic all running at the same time in 7.1.4 to the RME UFXII...  without an error.

Eventide just announced the latest updates make everything officially Sonoma compatible.

21 hours ago, mattrixx said:

So doing any serious work, was like walking on egg shells.  

Now on Sonoma, I can go all day

I wonder if it was related to this issue in Ventura, fixed in Sonoma:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-of-the-day/has-macos-sonoma-fixed-multicore-performance-for-apple-silicon/

• Like 3

Wish we could get DAW Mode (like Game Mode in Sonoma) where it focused on performance for a Daw, Low latency, buffer settings lower 16, 8, 4, prioritize USB/c with Logic X yada. Look in your activity Monitor, I'm sure some of that crap could wait till later!

Edited by seclusion
  • Like 1

The only third party plug-in I use is EZ Drummer 3.  It seems to be function fine.

I am having an issue withe aread of the window not displaying properly once playback is stared.

Before playback: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W6L996WClO5FU0CKeHt-m-T__-5v_pwg/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1W6L996WClO5FU0CKeHt-m-T__-5v_pwg/view?usp=sharing

After playback: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W3v8-xRR-rFabLA5Fn2tk0jNNcLVQHog/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1W3v8-xRR-rFabLA5Fn2tk0jNNcLVQHog/view?usp=sharing