MacOS Sonoma is out. Please report any plug-in incompatibilities.

On 10/14/2023 at 6:48 AM, des99 said:

Eventide just announced the latest updates make everything officially Sonoma compatible.

I wonder if it was related to this issue in Ventura, fixed in Sonoma:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-of-the-day/has-macos-sonoma-fixed-multicore-performance-for-apple-silicon/

Yes, most very likely a big part of the problem.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:13 PM, des99 said:

I also think ChatGPT is super useful. But yes, you can't assume it's going to be correct, so you need to do some fact checking before relying on something it says - or blind posting results to forums, where the incorrect info gets persisted, and seen and reposted, and sucked in for the next generation of AI bots etc.

As was said:

Yes, it’s a time saver for those who don’t actually need its services, but have the expertise to check the results (and could thus generally do it themselves). 

It’s dangerous because it produces outright misinformation which is then used in different contexts. I had someone cite ChatGPT at me in a discussion recently, and parts of it were easily proven to be horseshit — only because I knew what I was talking about. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, analogika said:

It’s dangerous because it produces outright misinformation which is then used in different contexts. I had someone cite ChatGPT at me in a discussion recently, and parts of it were easily proven to be horseshit — only because I knew what I was talking about. 

Definitely. Check out the hilarious quote from ChatGPT in that post: 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Sweetwater publishes compatibility information for releases of new Mac OSs. A list of companies that provide hardware and software are included. I consult this source, as well as doing searches and visiting vendor sites, before doing an OS upgrade. As of this post, the information was last updated on October 16, 2023. I have not upgraded to Sonoma yet, my research is still in progress, which is why I am reading this thread. I am adding a link to the Sweetwater page for your convenience.

MacOS Sonoma Compatibility Guide | Sweetwater

• Like 2

Had a weird Apple Music thing, click on a song in my Playlist and it would miss 4-5 songs then play one way down the list. 0 of the apple supplied solutions works, login out and in, reboot yada yada, But clicking users / your name / music . drag the music library to a folder on your desktop. Close reopen music and give in a couple minutes, all working good now.

Have you tried EastWest OPUS in depth on macOS Sonoma and Logic Pro X?

Doing some tests with one of my students on his MacBook Pro M2 Pro 16 GB Ram, we have noticed that we can't use more than a few tracks (about 16) until the CPU or audio driver overloads, which I think is not normal, even when the buffer is set to 1024.

Our test consists on duplicate the same track as many times as we can until the CPU/Audio is overloaded. We have used a track with few C ascending scales using different articulations each time using 1st Violins KS from OPUS Hollywood Strings and Babylonwaves Art Conductor for Logic Pro. 

The same test in my old iMac 2017 i7 4,2 GHz 64 GB Ram and macOS Ventura reaches until 84 duplicated tracks until the CPU overloads.

On the M2 Pro and Sonoma using OPUS in NI Komplete Kontrol (which forces the use of the plugin in its VST version instead of AU) it is also possible to reach more than 80 tracks.

After erase the disk and a clean install of Sonoma, the results are the same. So, I don't know if the problem on the M2 Pro is related to Sonoma but I suspect so. I think maybe there is some incompatibility with the latest version of the OPUS component plugin that maybe should been optimized but that may not happen with the VST version.

Perhaps in projects with few non-simultaneous tracks it is not easily detectable, but in our case this is what happened.

I attach a link to the project in case any of you want to try the test and share your results. You simply need to duplicate the track and try to play the project as many times as your computer allows (remember to lower the master volume when you duplicate if you don't want to go deaf).

Logic OPUS Benchmark Test

Edited by ChoPraTs

40 minutes ago, Gary Gold said:

I am having trouble with Spectrasonics RMX plugin in latest logic and sonoma. It plays fine for a bit but then digital snow takes over. Sort of sounds like a ring modulator and static.

not running in demo mode? make sure it's authorized... one of my plugins (the newsonicarts nuance 2 sampler) needs to be re-authorized with every OS update. just a thought

• Like 1

Hi, I have a very strange phenomenon with Logic Pro 10.7.9 and Sonoma.

I have no input signal on any interface except the build in audio. I use a Yamaha AG06 and/or a presonus USB96. When I connect a Mic (Dyn or Condenser doesn't make a difference) I can hear sound bit distorted and increasingly dropped out until almost nothing is audible.

When I connect an electric guitar - I can't hear anything.

Now the fun part:

when I create a new Audiodevice in Audio-Midi-Setup and add the AG06 as an example - and let Logic switch to that device - I can hear all input loud and clear.

If I close Logic and open it again I have to create the new audio device all over again.

1 hour ago, ibastl said:

Hi, I have a very strange phenomenon with Logic Pro 10.7.9 and Sonoma.

If you have a particular problem that's not the topic of this thread (which is about third-party plugin incompatibilities with Sonoma), feel free to start a new thread with your issue, and we can troubleshoot that there.

Edited by des99

I'm getting an Audio Unit plugin error that require Recover/Quit. Not sure which one is causing it. Either BBC Labs, STL, or Nembrini. Nembrini did update theirs, but it could still be causing the problem. I run the same plugins with Digital Performer 11 and there are no issues since the Nembrini update. So I'm guessing that's the one.

4 hours ago, PP1965 said:

I had similar issue. Just follow the instructions below, it solved my problem, I was able to open a project file backup (see Solution 2):

https://logicprogem.com/Logic-Pro-X-Tutorials/Entries/2015/11/6_How_to_Open_a_Corrupted_Logic_Project.html

Opening an alternative didn't help. I tried a few different ones. This is quite irritating. 

On 10/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, ChoPraTs said:

Have you tried EastWest OPUS in depth on macOS Sonoma and Logic Pro X?

Doing some tests with one of my students on his MacBook Pro M2 Pro 16 GB Ram, we have noticed that we can't use more than a few tracks (about 16) until the CPU or audio driver overloads, which I think is not normal, even when the buffer is set to 1024.

Our test consists on duplicate the same track as many times as we can until the CPU/Audio is overloaded. We have used a track with few C ascending scales using different articulations each time using 1st Violins KS from OPUS Hollywood Strings and Babylonwaves Art Conductor for Logic Pro. 

The same test in my old iMac 2017 i7 4,2 GHz 64 GB Ram and macOS Ventura reaches until 84 duplicated tracks until the CPU overloads.

On the M2 Pro and Sonoma using OPUS in NI Komplete Kontrol (which forces the use of the plugin in its VST version instead of AU) it is also possible to reach more than 80 tracks.

After erase the disk and a clean install of Sonoma, the results are the same. So, I don't know if the problem on the M2 Pro is related to Sonoma but I suspect so. I think maybe there is some incompatibility with the latest version of the OPUS component plugin that maybe should been optimized but that may not happen with the VST version.

Perhaps in projects with few non-simultaneous tracks it is not easily detectable, but in our case this is what happened.

I attach a link to the project in case any of you want to try the test and share your results. You simply need to duplicate the track and try to play the project as many times as your computer allows (remember to lower the master volume when you duplicate if you don't want to go deaf).

Logic OPUS Benchmark Test

On my Intel/Monterey system, I can run something like 80 tracks(with a 64 sample buffer). CPU load doesn't seem to be the problem, but Logic is using 170 GB of memory while I have only 64 GB of physical RAM available....

This means disk swapping which will bring the system down to a crawl. 

Maybe there's a setting in Opus that will help with this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zipb said:

On my Intel/Monterey system, I can run something like 80 tracks(with a 64 sample buffer). CPU load doesn't seem to be the problem, but Logic is using 170 GB of memory while I have only 64 GB of physical RAM available....

Hm. I played around with some of the settings, memory usage steadily increased until I force quitted LP at 300GB...

53 minutes ago, zipb said:

Thanks for your test. Your results are similar to mine. I also have an Intel with 64 GB of Ram and I am in Ventura.

The problem is with one of my students who has an M2 Pro and Sonoma. Although his RAM is smaller (16 GB), I think it is not normal that he can only play less than 16 duplicated tracks of that test project. So, obviously there has to be a problem in his equipment, either OPUS is not optimized for the M2 Pro chip, or perhaps is not optimized for Sonoma.

It doesn't seem normal to me that you or me can duplicate the track 80 times until the system can't handle it, in my case with a 2017 computer, and my student with a new 2023 MacBook Pro and an M2 Pro can't handle more than 16 tracks. Something is wrong.

Edited by ChoPraTs

4 minutes ago, ChoPraTs said:

Thanks for your test. Your results are similar to mine. I also have an Intel with 64 GB of Ram and I am in Ventura.

The problem is with one of my students who has an M2 Pro and Sonoma. Although his RAM is smaller (16 GB), I think it is not normal that he can only play less than 16 duplicated tracks of that test project. So, obviously there has to be a problem in his equipment, either OPUS is not optimized for the M2 Pro chip, or perhaps is not optimized for Sonoma.

It doesn't seem normal to me that you or me can duplicate the track 80 times until the system can't handle it, in my case with a 2017 computer, and my student with a new 2023 MacBook Pro and an M2 Pro can't handle more than 16 tracks. Something is wrong.

16 GB of RAM for orchestral mock ups may not be enough.

My clients who are into this have 64 GB RAM or even more. 

4 hours ago, zipb said:

CPU load doesn't seem to be the problem, but Logic is using 170 GB of memory while I have only 64 GB of physical RAM available....

How are you determining this? Memory useage is a much more complex issue that people generally think.

Is your memory pressure graph in activity monitor green, yellow, or red?

On 10/28/2023 at 12:14 PM, rAC said:

14.2 Beta is out - and I’m off to a bad start TotalMix didn’t recognise the UFX. Currently reinstalling 14.1.

yeah issues here as well. Softube Saturator and Universal Audio LA-2A compressor crashed.

having difficulty going back to 14.1. I cant do it via a Time Machine backup, tells me to use Migration Assistant. Migration Assistant hangs..... 

On 10/27/2023 at 10:14 PM, rAC said:

14.2 Beta is out - and I’m off to a bad start TotalMix didn’t recognise the UFX. Currently reinstalling 14.1.

Annecdotal in case related: I had an issue with TotalMix not recognizing my UVX II with Ventura following (a) an update to RME's DriverKit driver v4.08 and (b) an otherwise inconsequential reboot. Power cycling, restarts, Audio MIDI Setup tweaks, etc. had no affect, but surprisingly disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable to the UFX fixed it with no issues since. Reporting this in case the TotalMix issue might be actually be related to some subtle DriverKit issues with both Ventura and Sonoma.