Logic Studio 9!

thindave

More effects,.gtr amps, what I think of as bells and whistles almost gimmicks.

And they're exactly the reason why I switched to Logic from Digital Performer (which has tried to play some catch up since then :wink:). Logic is a fantastic time saver and workflow improver for people like me, who don't have time to go sifting through all the plugins in the world just to get work done. I still think Apple needs to address the BFD/Superior Drummer kind of software, and am a little upset that Ultrabeat doesn't even look updated, but aside from that, Logic has everything I need to make great music and effects.

Will prolly start to be seen as a heavy duty version of garageband. I lot of peeps already have that view.

And that's a bad view because...? Garageband rules (aside from lack of multiple tempo/time signature support).

Edited by Jessy

More effects,.gtr amps, what I think of as bells and whistles almost gimmicks.

And they're exactly the reason why I switched to Logic from Digital Performer (which has tried to play some catch up since then :wink:). Logic is a fantastic time saver and workflow improver for people like me, who don't have time to go sifting through all the plugins in the world just to get work done. I still think Apple needs to address the BFD/Superior Drummer kind of software, and am a little upset that Ultrabeat doesn't even look updated, but aside from that, Logic has everything I need to make great music and effects.

Will prolly start to be seen as a heavy duty version of garageband. I lot of peeps already have that view.

And that's a bad view because...? Garageband rules (aside from lack of multiple tempo/time signature support).

It's all good man, I use the effects and will prolly use the new amp more.

BTW,. I sold DP 5 & 6 after getting Logic. But DP blows and that's why you left it. Be honest, there is no bigger creative buzz kill than trying to make music in DP. And as far as the effects and VI's in DP,....they are good for a laugh,.that's about it.

I said, Logic is going with it's strengh, good.

If you ran a pro studio and a client called to book time and you told them you used Garageband,.....

Do you think you'd get the gig?

great music can be made on anything now,.but that does matter in the commercial world unfortunately

Being a total tard..I bought 8 like 45 days ago..NOW 9 comes out. You gotta be kidding me. I even asked the apple rep if a newer version was coming out.

Wonder if there is a deal for those who just bought 8 ???

I feel for you.. I bought 7 at $1K about 2 months before 8 came out.

I was in apple store on Friday and asked the guy who knows at the store if they were going to upgrade Logic Studio soon. He said that he thought they were going to upgrade Final Cut Studio before they upgraded LS.

They honestly are in the dark. Apple's secrecy is admirable.

Still, I feel for you.. but its only $200 buck to upgrade..

Now I know why I got all those MPV Logic videos for 1/2 price! :x

It isn't at Thomann.de, yet. Now, if I upgraded from LE7 to LP8, will the upgrade process remain valid if I go to 9? When I got this new computer in May, when I loaded LP8 into it, I was prompted for my LE7 serial#. Will I now have to provide my LE7, LP8 serial numbers , + the LP9 serial # to get this to function?

I am just gonna make some popcorn, sit back, and wait on this one.

Cheers,

Glenn

I'm curious as to the big push for guitar sounds. I've been more interested in vintage eq and compression sounds lately and one of our previous posters mentioned he'd like some more attention given to drums...

I can't help but wonder how much the influence of Guitar Hero and Rockband had on inspiring guitar players, who's wallets had influence on Waves, Line 6, Apple, etc.

Edited by whospilgrim

200$ bucks for an upgrade that should be free tbh

like i said, i don't give two craps about the guitar software and other than that all that seems to be upgraded is the elastic audio and whatever else that ableton can already do :?

and no one here has any opinion about the buffer problems?? im sure im not the only one with this problem, and i heard it's been a problem since logic 7. paying for an upgrade that should have been there a couple of years ago seems pretty lame.

DP blows and that's why you left it. Be honest, there is no bigger creative buzz kill than trying to make music in DP.

I switched to Logic when version 7 hit. I actually disliked Logic intensely before Apple bought it. I still hated 7's interface, but at least they mostly fixed that with version 8. For the time, I think DP 4 was a competitive product.

If you ran a pro studio and a client called to book time and you told them you used Garageband,.....

Do you think you'd get the gig?

great music can be made on anything now,.but that does matter in the commercial world unfortunately

I'm not saying Garageband is a good DAW choice for the kind of people who would come to this forum. I'm just saying it's a great product, and I see nothing wrong with being known as its big, professional brother. Lots of people surely make a living with Final Cut Studio, despite the existence of iMovie and iDVD, eh? :)

IMVHO..if you bought Logic 8 within the past 90 days, the L9 ugrade should be $49. Otherwise, $200 is a TAD steep...$149...maybe..

that being said. I'll still get it.

I agree. That said, the box and manuals is probably a cost item of $75-$100. That's a pricey, impressive bit of packaging. That's why they don't pre-announce software releases.

Bottom line, if you buy a mature product, its the risk you take. Having been burned multiple times by Apple and others, I've learned to buy early and wait late.

By the way. Now is an optimum time to buy Logic Studio. :D

Strange that this release was so unheralded. I just called my local Apple Store to see if I could go down there and buy the upgrade rather than order it online, and the girl had no idea it had even been released. She had to check with a manager.

I ordered the upgrade. I hope it's not riddled with bugs. I would normally wait and see how it shakes out, but features such as Flex editing could potentially save me a lot of time starting yesterday.

I agree though this seems like an 8.x upgrade and not an x.0 upgrade.

and...lest you all think I'm NOT going to whine about s#!+ that's wrong...

I'm DYING to take Logic 9 and open an OMF from Final Cut into it and SEE if they fixed the myriad of crap that was wrong with OMF Imports.

like...NOT being able to take two mono tracks and re-interleave them onto a stereo track..ala PT...and issues with handles....etc...

and...lest you all think I'm NOT going to whine about s#!+ that's wrong...

I'm DYING to take Logic 9 and open an OMF from Final Cut into it and SEE if they fixed the myriad of crap that was wrong with OMF Imports.

like...NOT being able to take two mono tracks and re-interleave them onto a stereo track..ala PT...and issues with handles....etc...

Are you importing from Final Cut Studio 2 or the new Final Cut Studio 3.. also just released? 8)

Logic 7->8 = big upgrade

Logic 8->9 = joke

for me, anyway...

That's funny because the LP7->8 upgrade did very little for my workflow, but the new features in 9, particularly the drum replacer and flextime would save me from having to load things into other apps at times.

As far as bug fixes, perhaps we should wait and see what was fixed before rushing to judgement about them.

Tim..I can't EVEN begin to tell you how much I was burned by Native Instruments on udates/upgrades....stunning waste of $.

Yes, I could.

For those who just bought L8, its a good product. Some have bugs that they can't live with. I don't. Live with it until you earn the $200 bucks it will cost to upgrade. That's what I'll be doing for a while longer.

As you can see from my sig, I have a lot of upgrading to do if I move to L8. Not to mention Final Cut Studio upgrading on the same day.. $500 in software and a new rig.. that's what it will take for me. (although I DO have a macbook Pro that will work for live performances.. : )

I just hope I can get my G5 sold before Snow Leopard comes out.. it will end up being an internet computer for my wife in the family room, otherwise.

T