Logic Studio 9!

thindave

even a line 6 sounds better than guitar rig imo and i doubt these new effects in logic studio will be any better than the 'award winning' guitar rig 3.

I hear much of what you're saying in general, but in all fairness, (at least in my humble opinion) Guitar Rig 3 is the worst of the frontline guitar software out there. Line6's PodFarm/GearBox and the various IK Amplitube 2 options are much better. And the demos for the Amp Designer stuff and Pedalboard included here do actually sound REALLY good. But again, I'm still withholding judgment until I hear them up close.

get an iMac ! those mac pros are too expensive, and all that CPU power is unused most of the time. the iMac is by far the best deal of the lot. i could have buy a mac pro but just refused, the price is too insane.

i have a 2.66 ghz imac and i've yet to make it overload, or max its 4 gigs of RAM.

thanks for the info bigramp i have looked at the imacs and my brother has one not the same spec though i dont no i just prefare the towers for some reason also my brother has issues with processor noise from his do you get anything like that?

Also, if I can add to this, the next to current generation, which is available in refurbished now (it was clearanced) has both a 400M and 800M firewire bus.

The latest version only has a 800M bus. This is fine for for daisy chaining 800M devices, but if you use an 400M device the whole chain is lowered to 400.

The 24" iMac starts at $1199 with a 320G drive. and 2Gig of RAM.. a 4 Gig upgrade is $30. Also, that model has a separate graphic card and can run two monitors comfortably.

The new ones have a faster bus speed 1033 vs. 800MHz. but with that comes expensive RAM prices right now, and marginal difference in performance.

The best part about the iMac is its quiet... Unless you have your rig isolated, the MacPro's far from silent. The iMac is.

Drum replacer? Great, what happened to hiring a good drummer and using good mics, techniques, and good drums. I could just hit some pots and pans and sample replace them all, LAME!

Don't be so radical.

Drum Replacer looks like a very nice function for when you can't hire a great drummer, you can't use good mics, you don't have the appropriate recording technique and don't have great drums... or even if you want to be creative.

It's a tool.

As any other tool is to be used with good sense, good taste and when needed.

One of only two sure-fire methods I've found for eliminating overloads is to put dummy clips (empty audio or non-nonsensical midi clips) at the beginning of every track that doesn't start @ measure 1. Which, effectively, makes everything loaded when you hit play.

Seems silly to have to do that, instead of at least having the option to make everything initialize at project start or project load.

- zevo

huhn. i was always confused as to why that happened. just thought my computer was showing age.

no amp sim can replace the sound of the real thing-it's convenient, true, but not the real thing...

You can spend a lot of time recording something, and be forced to use it as is, or you can save time, and have the recording be easier to manipulate. There's no way your output can be as high if you chose the old school gear instead of plugins, whatever you're doing. It's a balancing act. If you don't have a lot of work to do, use the gear that sounds best. Otherwise, make a lot of great music and know that you can always just put a better-sounding plugin on it later, as technology gets better. It's not like you can't re-release music, and nothing's ever going to be perfect.

You know, I used to think that Dar was right about no "amp sim" being able to "replace" the sound of the "real thing". But I'm pretty convinced now with some of the tools at my disposal. With a little work and a decent ear, you can do as much and more with some of this software. And if you want to add actual tube "warmth", you can always run a hybrid rig with the software and a tube pre like a UA 610, a Groove Tubes "Brick", or one of those special-made combo amps made for use with PODs. That way, you get your traditional fix in, and can add that to your insane sound palette with the software amps, cabs, and effects. Stunning, really.

"mom come here! Apple put out a new version of this" - eager young teenager (me) holds up logic express to his mother. "All the people on my forum have been wondering when it was going to get upgraded!"

As soon as I saw the news I rushed over to this forum to see what was going on.

To be honest, I got pretty excited. I'm thinking of dropping $300 to go from logic express 8 to logic pro 9

Wait a minute. I thought if you had Logic Express 8 you have to buy Logic Studio 9 full price. I mean I think the upgrade from "Logic Express" means if you bought Logic Express 9 you can upgrade. I mean it would make sense, people who purchased Logic Studio 8 ($500) have to pay $200 to upgrade to Logic Studio 9. (total of $700) So it would make sense for Apple to make Logic Express 8 owners ($200) Pay the full $500 price of Logic Studio 9 (also a $700 total) That sounds like what Apple would do. I see an asterisk next to "Upgrade from Logic Express" but I can't find anything that explains what the asterisk is referring to. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I have Logic Express 8 and I would really like to know this! Tell me there's SOME kind of discount for Logic Express 8 owners...

I'm pretty sure the upgrade from Express to Pro is from either 8 or 9. You should be all good.

to be honest, for wall of sound, you can do it decent enough with amp sims.

the problems is that its more work than using real amps.

but i am quite impressed with Amp Designer.

i do disagree with you, i went the other way.. i tried passing various guitar amp simulator PREAMP SECTIONS through a Tube PowerAmp and mike it.

now thats the cheapest way to change your current tube amp to a multimodelled tube monster...

to be honest, for wall of sound, you can do it decent enough with amp sims.

the problems is that its more work than using real amps.

but i am quite impressed with Amp Designer.

i do disagree with you, i went the other way.. i tried passing various guitar amp simulator PREAMP SECTIONS through a Tube PowerAmp and mike it.

now thats the cheapest way to change your current tube amp to a multimodelled tube monster...

Yeah, that's actually what I meant by the reference to the tube combo amps made especially for PODs. You can also use the tube pres as direct boxes, to feed the amp sims into, and then go out direct back into Logic.

One of only two sure-fire methods I've found for eliminating overloads is to put dummy clips (empty audio or non-nonsensical midi clips) at the beginning of every track that doesn't start @ measure 1. Which, effectively, makes everything loaded when you hit play.

Seems silly to have to do that, instead of at least having the option to make everything initialize at project start or project load.

- zevo

That's brilliant sir! What's the other?

Thanks. :D

I spent 4 months right after getting Logic 8 obsessed with that issue, since I was absolutely plagued with it, on multiple machines and across at least 40 clean variable installs. And nothing worked.

Finally, I was chatting with a buddy of mine here at work (one of our more low-level devs) and we went through my testing notes (I'm a test developer by day) to see commonality, and finally realized that it was clearly an initialization issue.

He informed me that the issue might actually be worse with Intel chips because they have 64kb paging algorithms (memory paging? I can't remember exactly), whereas PPC uses 4kb. Meaning: your flowing more data (16 times more) for each of the algorithms operations off and on the hard drive across a fast bus (like SATA).

Basically, the audio engine is waiting for something that doesn't arrive because the bus is flooding the hard drive with a bunch of stuff to read/write AND then play back for you to hear. The error message isn't lying: it couldn't process all the data in time.

(also, there's another error that's very similar to this, and sometimes it will appear interchangeably with the overload: disk too slow).

So we came up with two tests, each that could be a possible solution:

1. Initialize everything up front, and dodge the situation altogether. Get loaded into memory and on/off disk before you try to play anything back.

2. (and to answer your question) Use a slower or gated bus between the drive and the rest of the system.

We actually tried the second one first. I installed the system (os, logic and all) on a FW drive and booted from it. NOT ONE overload in any of my projects, including the test projects that were 100% reproducible. I was amazed by that, and for a long time lived with the internal laptop drive being my data drive and my FW drive being my system drive, but eventually I got sick of it and tried option 1.

Interestingly, there's a caveat to the theory (there always is):

My Mac Pro 2.8GHz hasn't given me an overload yet on projects with no leading dummy data. Perhaps it's because it has 4 drives, and bits of projects and the OS are spread across them (the other machines that were so bad were iMacs and laptops). Perhaps 10.5.6 + 8.0.2 is a bit more efficient?

No idea. But I do know that both worked for me, and I tried at least 40 other scenarios across all those months. I was so obsessed that I didn't even try to make projects (they overloaded anyway, all of them, which was just frustrating).

I'm hoping that if LP9 does indeed end up being Intel only, that it will be optimized for the way Intel's work. Earlier versions were optimized for PPC, but then came Universal Binary, which almost by definition means not truly optimized for either one.

Take care,

- zevo

"mom come here! Apple put out a new version of this" - eager young teenager (me) holds up logic express to his mother. "All the people on my forum have been wondering when it was going to get upgraded!"

To be honest, I got pretty excited. I'm thinking of dropping $300 to go from logic express 8 to logic pro 9

Wait a minute. I thought if you had Logic Express 8 you have to buy Logic Studio 9 full price. I mean I think the upgrade from "Logic Express" means if you bought Logic Express 9 you can upgrade. I mean it would make sense, people who purchased Logic Studio 8 ($500) have to pay $200 to upgrade to Logic Studio 9. (total of $700) So it would make sense for Apple to make Logic Express 8 owners ($200) Pay the full $500 price of Logic Studio 9 (also a $700 total) That sounds like what Apple would do. I see an asterisk next to "Upgrade from Logic Express" but I can't find anything that explains what the asterisk is referring to. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I have Logic Express 8 and I would really like to know this! Tell me there's SOME kind of discount for Logic Express 8 owners...

I'm pretty sure the upgrade from Express to Pro is from either 8 or 9. You should be all good.

WAIT... so can I upgrade directly from logic express 8 to logic pro 9?

a simple yes or no answer will suffice

:D

WAIT... so can I upgrade directly from logic express 8 to logic pro 9?

a simple yes or no answer will suffice

:D

Doesn't say you can't. In fact, since nobody has Express 9 yet, it sure seems like it's geared as much at the Express 8 people as anyone. Moreover, you COULD upgrade from Logic Express 7 to Logic Studio 8, for the Express upgrade price (as someone else already posted a ways up this thread). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you could go from Express 7 to Pro 9 for the upgrade price.

yeah i see, im not familiar with POD combos, so i didnt know whether they are tube or not. :)

in general, a tube poweramp gives more tube oomph than tube preamp.. of course its much more hassle and you still have to record it.

Yeah. As for the combos, they're made by a company called Atomic. Pretty cool stuff.