Logic Studio 9!

thindave

we still have the 4GB RAM crash

Can anyone explain the crash?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Logic was updated once Snow Leopard comes out.

Ok so Logic itself as a software application can only access a little bit less than 4GB of VRAM at a time. So if your session becomes to large then logic crashes. Now for most people you will never hit this cap. However if you use large sample librarys like the East West orchestra or Storm Drum or Mach Five then you will hit this cap rather quickly. For instance I use EW orchestral libraries. I can only load up a string and small brass section before Logic crash's because i've hit the 4 GB cap. I can't load winds choir, perc...etc or anything else for that matter, simply adding an audio file can crash it. Because everything takes up RAM.

This is a big problem that apple needs to address for film composers. If your recording a rock band no problem but for film people it is a big issue.

get an iMac ! those mac pros are too expensive, and all that CPU power is unused most of the time. the iMac is by far the best deal of the lot. i could have buy a mac pro but just refused, the price is too insane.

i have a 2.66 ghz imac and i've yet to make it overload, or max its 4 gigs of RAM.

thanks for the info bigramp i have looked at the imacs and my brother has one not the same spec though i dont no i just prefare the towers for some reason also my brother has issues with processor noise from his do you get anything like that?

Adobe Microsoft and most other big software companies have the same licensing agreements.

I actually got the Adoce CS3 Design Premium for $599, even though I only had an Educational version of Macromedia Studio MX (which was four product cycles old at that point.)

But that's the only time I've ever been able to upgrade an educational license. When I learned this about my Apple edu software (Production Suite and Logic 7), I sold them and sprung for the full versions instead. Wasn't too pleased about them not being clearly stated as non-upgradeable.

200 Dollars for an update. I hope somebody reviews this update soon..

It was 2x that for Logic 6 > 7.

I think $199 is actually pretty affordable really.. especially for Flex Time.

Yeah, looks like they have actually one-upped Protools here, making a fully integrated combination version of Beat Detective and Elastic Audio, especially working within quick-swipe comping.

And it's a particularly good deal if you also don't already own Drumagog, PodFarm, Amplitube 2, and a full-featured loop station. Because Logic 9 comes with ALL OF THESE built in. We're talking $1000-$2000 worth of 3rd-party plugs added to the already stunning collection of tools.

As for stability, I still have to say that 8 has always been more stable for me than even the most recent edition of 7. Even 8.0, but of course especially 8.0.2. So, I'll withhold judgment on stability in 9 until I've got it and have worked with it for a good long while. I imagine a bunch of the remaining minor bugs in 8 will be fixed in 9, but there will likely be some new ones that come with the new features. Which is the way it is with ANY software.

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that Apple has been paying so much attention to the things people have been asking for, and have gotten it all to us pretty quickly. We'll see how it all works out.

8)

I hope there's a fix in store for those of us who are on PPCs!

Doesn't seem to be necessary: in a different forum somebody already wrote, that Logic Pro 9 indeed IS a Universal Binary (Intel and PowerPC), but that PowerPC is just no longer advertised.

It's a nice looking upgrade. I might get it.

Thing is, it looks like an upgrade for you folks that actually RECORD a bunch of audio (or import other people's recorded audio) and need to edit it.

Meaning: warping, editing transients, varispeed, tempo/beat matching... drum replacement, tracks to samples (slicing)... guitar effects/models...

That's audio stuff.

I'll use SOME of that a LITTLE, but frankly I already have Live (which does most of that already), and I'm a MIDI guy. Don't see much of anything in Logic "proper" relating to midi and virtual instruments.

I think its "audio-oriented" update status is why it's not 64bit. Some audio folks need 64bit, but far more virtual instrument people do, particularly with samples. With EXS24 being 64ibt, as well as kontakt, it's probably just not a huge priority. Particularly since many have been asking for those elastic audio type enhancements for quite a while.

I'll get it... but much later.

Perhaps once Snow Leopard has a patch or two, and my VIs are patched to match... like, January.

There is one thing that would make me get it instantly:

Fix the completely embarrassing Core Audio Overload with 2-track project BUG. :evil:

That's just not right.

Overall, it looks like a solid upgrade, which I'm sure I'll be getting eventually.

(besides, I just rebuilt my machine around Komplete and Omnisphere... not doing that again anytime soon)

And, I agree:

PPC is dead in terms of development. In fact, in my theory of what's going on with the base Core Audio Overload issue, being universal is a hindrance, not a help.

It sucks to have to upgrade hardware for software, but that's been computers for the past 20+ years.

- zevo

Edited by inmazevo

Well, I've spent lots of time sending bug reports and crash reports to apple, so surely they must get looked at!?! Lets hope so! I just ordered the upgrade as couldn't resist! Estimated delivery time of Sept 7th. Seems like an age away, but it's not that far really. :D

Seriously? Sept 7th?

That's pretty weird, since the full box ships in 24 hours, so I imagine the estimated delivery would be, oh, a couple of days....

I just called the Logic Tech Support Line. Yes everyone it exists and has existed for a long time. The tech said that Logic Studio 9 is most likely NOT 64-bit which means we still have the 4GB RAM crash. He said there is now in place a warning system that tells you when you get too low on RAM. He is going to call me back and confirm that, but he says its unlikely that it is 64 bit.

=(

that is interesting to know.

if this gets confirmed then it is a definite reason that for me the upgrade is not worth it.

the RAM limitation was the most annoying thing that forces people to use standalone versions of sample based software instrument, sending them through an initial iac bus and environment purgatory before things work.

My understanding is that this is not so much a Logic issue as an OS issue and that Snow Leopard may change this.

Both the EXS24 and Kontakt 3.5 can address memory from inside Logic that exceeds the 4 GB limit so clearly there are other ways to address this issue, which is exactly what Dr. Lengeling told me a couple of years ago at NAMM when I asked him if Logic would be going 64 bit.

Doesn't seem to be necessary: in a different forum somebody already wrote, that Logic Pro 9 indeed IS a Universal Binary (Intel and PowerPC), but that PowerPC is just no longer advertised.

yeah, unitl they ship it.. ;)

I just called the Logic Tech Support Line. Yes everyone it exists and has existed for a long time. The tech said that Logic Studio 9 is most likely NOT 64-bit which means we still have the 4GB RAM crash. He said there is now in place a warning system that tells you when you get too low on RAM. He is going to call me back and confirm that, but he says its unlikely that it is 64 bit.

=(

that is interesting to know.

if this gets confirmed then it is a definite reason that for me the upgrade is not worth it.

the RAM limitation was the most annoying thing that forces people to use standalone versions of sample based software instrument, sending them through an initial iac bus and environment purgatory before things work.

My understanding is that this is not so much a Logic issue as an OS issue and that Snow Leopard may change this.

Both the EXS24 and Kontakt 3.5 can address memory from inside Logic that exceeds the 4 GB limit so clearly there are other ways to address this issue, which is exactly what Dr. Lengeling told me a couple of years ago at NAMM when I asked him if Logic would be going 64 bit.

I don't think its an OS issue because how would Kontact be able to do it then. It might be an issue with the third party manufacturers. Either way sooner or later more and more people are going to have issues with this, i guess maybe i'm just an early adopter and use a lot of high RAM plug-ins or early b*tcher.

I'm still gonna have to figure out how to get a full orchestra into logic using EW without logic crashing. Booooo on whoever.

PS: everything else looks sweet, i want 9 bad.

There is a big difference between a universal binary and an intel only build. I would be more apt to believe that 9 might run in Tiger (instead of the advertised 10.5.7 only) than to believe that it will run on ppc. Then again, Apple's Iphone OS 3 wasn't supposed to run at all on 1st gen iphones (making some people run out to buy a 3G or 3Gs). And yet it works just fine on them.

I've updated NFR's and EDU versions of software in the past with no problems whatsoever, I guess it's down to the company policy in the end. I even had an NFR license that was upgraded to a full version for free because they put it through as full by mistake. I've also had NFR's where the company would not even let me register it and ignored my requests so I could not get software updates. Again, company policy. I personally believe that allowing customers (because that's what we are regardless of status) to upgrade from these license types is a good thing, especially EDU. They (we) are the future after all, and word of mouth goes a long way if you ask me. I suppose Apple doesn't need much word of mouth though when it comes to their products. Just look at this topic! Anyway, scratch my question from earlier as they have shipped my upgrade and will hopefully be playing with it tomorrow. Of course, I bought a full retail version of 7 just before 8 landed so I feel the pain of others.

Cheers.

More plug-ins, less power.

Most applications switch on the juice for plug-ins as soon as they’re inserted. But Logic Pro features an intelligent DSP engine that asks for power only when a signal runs through the plug-in. So go ahead, pile on the instruments and effects. It will take more than that to slow you down.

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

as much as they have on addressing the RAM issue. kinda broad.

thanks for the info bigramp i have looked at the imacs and my brother has one not the same spec though i dont no i just prefare the towers for some reason also my brother has issues with processor noise from his do you get anything like that?

no processor noise here. very quiet machine.

i got my 24" iMac for 1199 euros on the refurb. that's a 14% rebate, and it looks like new. the screen is huge and beautiful !

Apple's official response to new releases is 2 weeks from purchase, which is its stance on return policy it will switch out, they do this on computers and the rest of their stuff. When it comes to software, they only do this if the product is not opened, since most places do not return open software unless you complain alot. Hope you enjoy the upgrade-.

The Live looping functions look great! :D

So does Flex time.

I'm a happy chappy!

I was almost about to buy Ableton live for use on stage but Mainstage2 looks like It will give Ableton a run for their money.

Right now I'm so happy with Apple that they could make an Apple brand maxi-pad and I would grow a uterus so I could buy a pack!

Go to your local school bookstore and by Logic 9 for $149. It's cheaper than the upgrade.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. Buy a college student a 6 pack and you're golden. Only $155 after deposit. No upgrades?!? Sounds like a better deal than a $200 upgrade option.

I work at a university, just checked our bookstore, dont see it. Logic 9 $449 on educational Apple site.

surely not they would have just said wouldn't they? Has there been anything else said about this mmm42?

More plug-ins, less power.

Most applications switch on the juice for plug-ins as soon as they’re inserted. But Logic Pro features an intelligent DSP engine that asks for power only when a signal runs through the plug-in. So go ahead, pile on the instruments and effects. It will take more than that to slow you down.

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

as much as they have on addressing the RAM issue. kinda broad.

I think that's the way Logic 8 works as well, and it's at the root of the Core Audio Overload issue, IMHO.

The plugin doesn't actually load until you hit the midi region, at which point you've got quite a bit of initialization to do to/from the drive/memory and with the audio engine... boom:

Couldn't process the data in time...

Being PPC and Intel supporting doesn't help the overload matter either.

PPC data packet size is smaller than intel (significantly). Initializing didn't flood the bus and or disk read/writes... and overloads were less common (they happened, but not in my experience like on Mactels).

If I had my way, I'd prefer an option to force load all the plugs used right at the beginning and get around the initialization.

One of only two sure-fire methods I've found for eliminating overloads is to put dummy clips (empty audio or non-nonsensical midi clips) at the beginning of every track that doesn't start @ measure 1. Which, effectively, makes everything loaded when you hit play.

Seems silly to have to do that, instead of at least having the option to make everything initialize at project start or project load.

- zevo

Edited by inmazevo

200$ bucks for an upgrade that should be free tbh

That's kind of a bit much to say, don't you think? I mean, YOU may not want the things they've added on, but as I said in another post, they've basically added Elastic Audio, Beat Detective, Drumagog, PodFarm/Amplitube 2/Guitar Rig 3, and a live loop station pedal for $200. That's a pretty good deal, I'd say.

That said, I'm probably going to hold off for awhile myself, as there's nothing in the upgrade I absolutely NEED right now, I need to spend some money on some other things first, and Logic 8.0.2 is pretty darn solid for me. But for anyone who is in need of any of these things at this point, this really is a fantastic deal.

8)

Crap, we scrimped and saved for a second hand power pc last august so we could upgrade from 5.5.

now we're back in the same situation again :(

so, in 5 years time when we can afford an intel mac, can we use the power pc as a node?

I believe this version of Logic Node will only work with the INTEL machines now. Why I will probably not load Logic 9 on MBP, since it is an INTEL.

One of only two sure-fire methods I've found for eliminating overloads is to put dummy clips (empty audio or non-nonsensical midi clips) at the beginning of every track that doesn't start @ measure 1. Which, effectively, makes everything loaded when you hit play.

Seems silly to have to do that, instead of at least having the option to make everything initialize at project start or project load.

- zevo

That's brilliant sir! What's the other?

1. Love the new features surrounding the audio realm.

2. Love the workflow improvements, i.e. Selective Track Import, Varispeed, etc.

I'm glad Apple spent more time improving the features of the DAW itself rather than intruducing tons of new plugs. I was hoping for performance improvements with lookahead abilities such as the latest DP6. I hope that with the release of Snow Leo, Logic will be able to take advantage of the multiprocessors a little better. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied.