Logic Studio 9!

thindave

Hi..Looks somewhat exciting..But I'm stil a Tiger user...For myself it seems just a bit to little to late..I've been opening Live8 since it came out over Logic 8..

Although I love Logic..I will most likely stay put with 8 and dig deeper into Live8..

Man if I only had some money....Now that might change everything about this..LOL...

And yes I too believe..Logic 8 was never a finished product..Or worked on in a way it should have been..At least for someone like myself..I've used Logic since version 5...So anyone else in a similar sit.. understands there just might be a bit of honest frustration as to its' progress and developement..Or not...JON

i was never ever told this!

Not only were you told this, you agreed to it. When you installed the software and agreed to the software license agreement. That's .... assuming you read it, of course. :wink:

ok David, now tell me is there gonna be an update for the edu versions as well?

like 50 euro more expensive then normal?

Go to your local school bookstore and by Logic 9 for $149. It's cheaper than the upgrade.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. Buy a college student a 6 pack and you're golden. Only $155 after deposit. No upgrades?!? Sounds like a better deal than a $200 upgrade option.

hey David !

did you know about LP9 ?

did you try it ?

Can't comment on that - sorry! :(

I was wondering when you were going to make an appearance! Is there anything you CAN tell us, or are you entirely under wraps. If you can't say anything then I understand, no worries! Maybe you can comment on some of the newer features that we DON'T know about and won't know about until we try it ourselves?

The last version you could upgrade from Logic Express 7 to the full Studio 8. I don't see anything that says you can't this time either. That's exactly what I did. There will be no appeal for academic versions, and I agree the $50 off is not worth it, sorry to anybody who paid that.

You have to understand, Apple has a vested interest in as many people using this software as possible, and is pretty good with the pricing. For that matter I think it would be worth a call to see if you can still upgrade from Express 7 to the full version, which could be a pretty economical way for someone to get out of the academic trap, if you could find a used LE7.

I honestly don't know. Those are questions you should ask directly to Apple, as only they know.

Hi David, can you tell me how to install the upgrade from Logic 8 to Logic 9? Do I uninstall Logic 8 first or just plop 9 right over 8? I'm asking cause I assume maybe you had to do that already and hopefully you won't mind sharing.

Thank you

i know this has already been said but intel only WTF :evil: ????

How many people on here are on PPC?

Here! I knew this was coming, since everything else coming out the last 6 months has been saying INTEL only, poopy! Time to hit the sperm bank, blood drive and plasma clinic! LOL, just checked ebay for shits, my tower is worth maybe $500, LOL.

Logic 9! How timely. I got this news 4 hours after ordering a new mac pro to replace my 3.5 year old ppc quad. Good think I didn't spring for the extra hard drive.

I'm a little surprised to see that it doesn't offer some kind of integrated audio pitch editing along with flexi time (ala Melodyne etc.) Or did I miss this.

Go to your local school bookstore and by Logic 9 for $149. It's cheaper than the upgrade.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. Buy a college student a 6 pack and you're golden. Only $155 after deposit. No upgrades?!? Sounds like a better deal than a $200 upgrade option.

I'm sorry to say guys, but the academic version is not 150 bucks. Academic price is 449...for a whopping discount of 50 bucks. I'm a student and just checked the offer through my school on apple's website.

Sux. I think that the academic version of L8 was pricey for a while and eventually dropped to 150. The same might be true for 9. Regardless, receiving no discount in the future leaves me wary of buying another academic version. Might be worth it to shell out the 500 to save money down the road.

Stoked for the new version...not for the pricing.

Questions:

1) Does audio have tab to transient?

2) Does EXS24 contribute towards virtual ram usage?

3) Do you need your logic 7 dongle to install the upgrade? I can't find mine.

4) Any further RAM upgrades? I am so sick of not getting beyond 3.3 GB's before logic crashes.

nobody answered for you so i will..

1.) it has that in logic8, check key commands.

2.) no idea

3.) i dont think you can upgrade from 7

4.) nothing was mentioned so far, im afraid of that too.

btw; does FlexTime use the same algorhytm settings as current logics time stretching? i mean, will you be able to use iZotope Radius for flex tool, because its indescribably better?

I just called the Logic Tech Support Line. Yes everyone it exists and has existed for a long time. The tech said that Logic Studio 9 is most likely NOT 64-bit which means we still have the 4GB RAM crash. He said there is now in place a warning system that tells you when you get too low on RAM. He is going to call me back and confirm that, but he says its unlikely that it is 64 bit.

=(

yup mrmeoff i also have been having a browse on ebay no quad intels for sale tho round here just emailed a few companys that do part exchange to see about getting a new machine hopefully might get a half decent price :roll:

i hope this update/upgrade is worth it might just go 8 core if i can stretch to it

Edited by jamie8286

I'm also an EDU licened user (uni employee) but I knew that I was not upgrade elegiablle but coming from Sonar and their yearly version releases - Sonar 6 - 8 in a little more than three years is pretty rediculous. Logic 8 for most part has pretty kind to me and for those times Logic wouldn't behave I still have my PC DAW with Sonar 7 still on it. Anyway I'm not suprised that the system requirements have jumped dramtically between 8 and 9. Working as a tech in a university I've seen Apple slowly and methodically chipping away PPC support - for example on the last firmware update eariler this summer almost every PPC suffered a kernel panic, when someone talked to the school's apple rep the response for more how this wouldn't happen if we just lifecycled all PPC off of campus and replaced them with current model we wouldn't have issues like this. And of course there is the upcoming Snow Leopard update.

Though I'm not making it rich off my music, I do treat the same as my day joib. In university the standard computer lifecycle is three years and software is as needed unless it is a major update. My Mac is a little over a year old and I bought Logic 8 soon after, does that mean I'm going to shell out for Logic 9. Probably not as I feel buying the newest software everytime it gets out make you of more a collector than a user (at least that's how I felt as a Sonar user), you learn how to do a couple of things, maybe write a couple of songs and then another one comes and it starts all over again. In two years I'll revist Logic 9 since that will be when I'll replace my mac, and I'll keep my eyes on the reviews as if there is some awesome feature I can't live without I'll buy it.

I'm not going to say PPC are worthless but PPC owners have to realize is that Apple will abandon you and that also goes for the Tiger users as well. That is nature of game no matter what rose tinted glasses you wear.

Suggested uses for PPC:

Secondary DAW - Use Ableton and sync to Logic

Computer Sampler - Get Kontakt or whatever sampler software and make the primary purpose.

Virtual Workstation - Use Mainstage and turn the computer into a Korg like workstation

Virtual FX processor Rack - run your mixers send and returns

yup mrmeoff i also have been having a browse on ebay no quad intels for sale tho round here just emailed a few companys that do part exchange to see about getting a new machine hopefully might get a half decent price :roll:

i hope this update/upgrade is worth it might just go 8 core if i can stretch to it

get an iMac ! those mac pros are too expensive, and all that CPU power is unused most of the time. the iMac is by far the best deal of the lot. i could have buy a mac pro but just refused, the price is too insane.

i have a 2.66 ghz imac and i've yet to make it overload, or max its 4 gigs of RAM.

Edited by bigramp

i was never ever told this!

Not only were you told this, you agreed to it. When you installed the software and agreed to the software license agreement. That's .... assuming you read it, of course. :wink:

There has never in the past been a edu update option, because you buy it for educational purposes for that version. Adobe Microsoft and most other big software companies have the same licensing agreements. So it is doubtful to expect it. FYI same thing for NFR copies.

I just called the Logic Tech Support Line. Yes everyone it exists and has existed for a long time. The tech said that Logic Studio 9 is most likely NOT 64-bit which means we still have the 4GB RAM crash. He said there is now in place a warning system that tells you when you get too low on RAM. He is going to call me back and confirm that, but he says its unlikely that it is 64 bit.

=(

that is interesting to know.

if this gets confirmed then it is a definite reason that for me the upgrade is not worth it.

the RAM limitation was the most annoying thing that forces people to use standalone versions of sample based software instrument, sending them through an initial iac bus and environment purgatory before things work.