Logic Studio 9!

thindave

Would you spent 500 bucks on a software if you knew it would have only two minor updates ?

Sure. If it does the job. If it doesn't, no.

There's a lot of people in here that spent $1000 for about the same functionality for L7. It was worth a grand.

Logic 8 rocks. Mainstage works for me, as well... although now that their rewire support in MS3, it will be even better.

Logic 7->8 = big upgrade

Logic 8->9 = joke

for me, anyway...

That's funny because the LP7->8 upgrade did very little for my workflow, but the new features in 9, particularly the drum replacer and flextime would save me from having to load things into other apps at times.

As far as bug fixes, perhaps we should wait and see what was fixed before rushing to judgement about them.

I disagree, 7-> 8 was huge worflow change. Drum replacer? Great, what happened to hiring a good drummer and using good mics, techniques, and good drums. I could just hit some pots and pans and sample replace them all, LAME!

big joke? have you USED it? have you tried to SEE if any of the bugs are fixed?

My guess is there's still some issues. My guess is that there's also a lot of fixes that won't be officialy 'published'.

I'm waiting to see if those who have known bugs/issues find that they're resolved or not.

for me, its a big joke, for the price. compared to the Logic Studio 8 upgrade, there are very few new and neat features...Logic 8 was brilliant. no stupid xskey, compressor, qt pro, st pro, delay designer, much much slicker and easier to use interface, better bouncing, better handling of films, nice esx24 update..not to mention 5 or 6 jam packs or however many there were

logic 9- flex time, bounce in place, pedal board

I'm giddy as hell over flex time. I *NEED* flex time, and was about to purchase $500+ hardware just to get protools' elastic audio. This look better and easier than elastic audio, and I'm essentially getting what would otherwise be a $300 amp and effect modeling plugin, but it's integrated into my DAW of choice.

Speak for yourself, this is exactly what I've been waiting for. I'm sorry you're not pleased. You don't have to upgrade you know...you can wait, or you can invest in something that better suits your needs. No worries.

There's a lot of people in here that spent $1000 for about the same functionality for L7.

You can include me on that, mate. I use Logic since 1995. I have happily paid every upgrade since then.

But version 8 was the most abandon Logic version ever...

I'm happy to see Logic 9 on the market but I'd like to see some commitment from Apple and a lot of upgrades with bug fixes.

Logic 7->8 = big upgrade

Logic 8->9 = joke

for me, anyway...

That's funny because the LP7->8 upgrade did very little for my workflow, but the new features in 9, particularly the drum replacer and flextime would save me from having to load things into other apps at times.

As far as bug fixes, perhaps we should wait and see what was fixed before rushing to judgement about them.

I disagree, 7-> 8 was huge worflow change. Drum replacer? Great, what happened to hiring a good drummer and using good mics, techniques, and good drums. I could just hit some pots and pans and sample replace them all, LAME!

Lame to you, but I can't afford $9000 worth of gear. I can't afford to hire a drummer. I can't afford studio time to get a suitable acoustic environment to do the recording justice. I certainly don't want to scrap a project because a few takes sound crummy or out of time. Maybe I can swing all of that, but a month later find a few errors in the recording that need these tools for a simple edit...what then?

When did music creation become an exclusive club for the rich and privledged? Thanks to the DAW, if someone has an idea, they have an equal shot to be heard, and can afford the same toolset that expensive studios use. The software doesn't write the music, it's just a tool for capturing, editing, and producing a final product.

I <3 it all.

Logic 7->8 = big upgrade

Logic 8->9 = joke

for me, anyway...

drum replacer should be great for me since i'm about to make a huge hardware upgrade so i can record drums. i'll mostly be using this to mix my drums with electronic sounds though, not to make them sound better like all those modern bands. well that is unless the crappy bands i record want to sound like all those modern bands. it's a a thing i will appreciate same with elastic audio.

i don't think it is worth the upgrade honestly since we already have the audio to score function that has worked like a charm for me so far. same with the elastic audio. it is possible to do with logic 8 but you have to go into more detail with the functions, and most people just want simple stretching.

bug fixes should be free with logic 8! if there's not a new upgrade for logic 8 with bug fixes then i would have to say that apple is honestly ripping us off to make all the n00b garage band users happy.

also, what ever happened to getting a real amp and an sm57 to record your tracks? even a line 6 sounds better than guitar rig imo and i doubt these new effects in logic studio will be any better than the 'award winning' guitar rig 3.

i would have much preferred seeing upgraded visual interface and functions for the built-in instruments and effects. instead you get the same thing with a bunch of other easier options of things i could already do.

:? :? :?

"mom come here! Apple put out a new version of this" - eager young teenager (me) holds up logic express to his mother. "All the people on my forum have been wondering when it was going to get upgraded!"

As soon as I saw the news I rushed over to this forum to see what was going on.

To be honest, I got pretty excited. I'm thinking of dropping $300 to go from logic express 8 to logic pro 9

Logic 7->8 = big upgrade

Logic 8->9 = joke

for me, anyway...

Lame to you, but I can't afford $9000 worth of gear. I can't afford to hire a drummer. I can't afford studio time to get a suitable acoustic environment to do the recording justice. I certainly don't want to scrap a project because a few takes sound crummy or out of time. Maybe I can swing all of that, but a month later find a few errors in the recording that need these tools for a simple edit...what then?

When did music creation become an exclusive club for the rich and privledged? Thanks to the DAW, if someone has an idea, they have an equal shot to be heard, and can afford the same toolset that expensive studios use. The software doesn't write the music, it's just a tool for capturing, editing, and producing a final product.

I <3 it all.

If your slick, Logic 8 can already do drum replacement. (Groove Templates)

I see the new Final Cut Studio has been put out as well, again, not 64 bit. I am wondering if this is only due to the Snow Leopard not being released yet.

What's the point of making Calendar (and presumably Garage Band) be 64 bit and not the pro apps suites? Why bother putting out Snow Leopard, and the Intel machines if not to carry through on that promise sooner or later?

I barely have checked into FCP, but it seems like a solid upgrade, and I've got to say if Logic 9 goes 64 bit with the release of Snow Leopard, then it would in fact be the upgrade that makes Logic more than competitive with anything. As it is now, it seems they've just addressed the more major issues with the software vs. Pro Tools elastic time and such... but thank god they did, now I'll never have to open that pain in the ass software except to export and get out, even in theory.

If everything works the way they say. And sounds as good as they say. Logic has claimed to have a great sounding amp simulator before, and I accepted that then. But I'm from Missouri, you know? I'll believe that when I see it.

Logic going 64 bit would also make sense for it being only for Intel, as well. I really wouldn't be surprised to see it shortly after Snow Leopard. I'm sure a lot of folks will doubt that, but then again, there were some folks who didn't think Logic was ever going to be updated in any sense ever! Someone should compile a Chicken Little's Greatest Hits of that stuff from this forum...

The fact the Apple will not give any discount for people who bought L8 in the last say 30 days is a outrageous.

Apple are SUPPOSED to bring out new features like Flex time and drum replace etc... they are one of the top three DAW's in the market so it shouldn't be unbelievable news when they finally get round to it.

What would be great is if they fixed all the bugs in 8.0.2 before jumping straight to 9.. I think Apple thinks we are all college kids and that we are going to get hyped and super impressed over functions that other DAW's have had for ages.

Professionals can make music with any app no matter what platform, but when you pay for something you have the right to complain seeing as other apps are doing things the same if not better..

Logic 7->8 = big upgrade

Logic 8->9 = joke

for me, anyway...

I <3 it all.

BTW, send me your tracks, I'll drop real drums on them. $100 a track. I've been successful with this for over a year now. I even edit/quick swipe, you mix.

The fact the Apple will not give any discount for people who bought L8 in the last say 30 days is a outrageous.

Apple are SUPPOSED to bring out new features like Flex time and drum replace etc... they are one of the top three DAW's in the market so it shouldn't be unbelievable news when they finally get round to it.

What would be great is if they fixed all the bugs in 8.0.2 before jumping straight to 9.. I think Apple thinks we are all college kids and that we are going to get hyped and super impressed over functions that other DAW's have had for ages.

Professionals can make music with any app no matter what platform, but when you pay for something you have the right to complain seeing as other apps are doing things the same if not better..

With the computers, I believe there is a 13 day window, you can return, if you get f*cked the same.

i know this has already been said but intel only WTF :evil: ????

How many people on here are on PPC?

+1 :cry:

I'm still holding out hope that perhaps it's only Logic Node that needs an Intel Machine, but I'm not holding my breath.

Going to read the manual now to see if this is the case

But version 8 was the most abandon Logic version ever...

Can't argue there. Its almost as if they thought they had a pass since the downed the price by $500. For the new user, it was $500. For the seasoned Logic user it was thousands.

I remember a similar conversation when it came out. Is Apple going to support Logic Pro with the same level of attention now that its only a $500 product?

Guess we sorta have an answer. Still the upgrades are worth $200. (If they work.)

T

P.S. The best way to handle a pro application upgrades is with a maintenance subscription. Usually about 1/4 or 1/3 of the purchase price per year. That includes free upgrades and would better fund bug fixes and such. Most people wouldn't want to pay it, though. My experience has been with CAD programs that sell for $4K and have a maintenance program of $1300 per year. There is a major upgrade each year and 3 to 4 bug/enhancement released in between. If you truly are using LP to make money, it would be well worth it. Heck, I'd probably subscribe for $125/year if it meant a faster progression of the software. You'd have the option of not subscribing and paying for upgrades, so those who don't make as much money using the software could upgrade periodically.

Just saying...

i know this has already been said but intel only WTF :evil: ????

How many people on here are on PPC?

There are plenty of hold-outs, including your (beloved) moderators, myself and fader8. ;) They're giving us no choice in the matter but to buy a bloody MacIntel in order to live on the bleeding edge. But NFN, what you're seeing is history repeating itself. This exact situation has played out for years and years and years. In my case, 7200?, 8600, G3, G3 w/ G4 processor, G4, G5.

You can complain all you want (hey, I'm not happy about it), but there's little you can do other than simply stick with whatcha got. Hell, it's not like I can't make music on my PPC Quad and Logic 8. It's not the software that makes the musician.