Logic Studio 9!

thindave

BTW, send me your tracks, I'll drop real drums on them. $100 a track. I've been successful with this for over a year now. I even edit/quick swipe, you mix.

BFD will make a lot more than four tracks.

I love playing acoustic drums, but just don't see them as being necessary for recording anymore, since BFD, Superior Drummer, etc., came out. For music where the fans really care about the drummer, sure, but otherwise, performing with a Trigger|iO with some pads, on a ControlPad, or even on some finger pads if you don't want to play fast, will get you great, non-destructive results, fast.

There's still plenty of room for people like you, and I wish you continued success, but your method just isn't the only option.

Hell, it's not like I can't make music on my PPC Quad and Logic 8. It's not the software that makes the musician.

That's true. They were writing music in the 17th century, too. No computers, no 4 tracks, nothing but live performances and pen and paper. Did that mean instruments on which/for which to write that music should have stopped progressing?

Where would we be today without our beloved sax family, or the theramin?

I'm not disagreeing with you, here, ski. I just think that everything progresses, and, as a creative entity, I crave movement, not stagnation. ... All that being said, yes, I still write music, and nothing short of death will stop that.

Maybe its their crafty way to boost sales on new machines,,,,,,,,

No. Say it isn't so... They wouldn't do that, would they?!? :D

You gotta admit it, though. Writing software for multiple processors blows and if the majority is moving away from it (which they are.. Adobe, Propellerheads, etc.) , why not shed the baggage. Sell your G5's before Snow Leopard comes out. You can buy a refurb 24" imac for $1200 bucks that will swim circles around your dual G5 machines.. only saying that cause that's what I'm going to do.

I figure I can sell my G5 and 23" cinema and break even while doubling my performance. I may have to invest in a couple more firewire drives.

Yup i am happy with logic8 apart from the obvious bugs here and there my production has improved 10 fold since i bought a mac and swapped over to logic about a year ago just feel abandoned by apple now.

Not really sure but does that mean the intel macs are newer then my ppc g5 (thinks its a late 2005)?

I'm assuming but I still think there is a upgrade coming for the users that have 8. I cant see them just skipping over on a product like that. For new users that dont have 8 yes I can see the upgrade. But i cant see them just turn a blind eye on 8 like that. I just think it will come when snow get closer to release. Or i could just be blowing to much green smoke tooo....

Just got an email from Apogee on their new GiO.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/gio

All coordinated and everything. I'm not a guitar player, but I have to think that's the sweet deal if you can get rid of 2 yards of pedalboard and replace it with this and a laptop.. even your amp maybe...

Good news for me, cause I guess my Duet has a future if Apple's comfortably between the sheets with Apogee.

Yuck. This product already exists at a lower price point, and it's called the Native Instruments Rig Kontrol.

We don't need another stupid interface / pedalboard combo. Somebody make a USB pedalboard already, without the audio I/O to jack the price up!!!

...Wow, and it only goes up to 48 kHz, unlike the 192 kHz of NI's box.

They're even supplying a cable to go from the headphone jack to an RCA pair.

FAILURE. :evil:

Edited by Jessy

Oh here is another simple one, moving two or more tracks at the same time???

Something that practically every DAW can do!!! Logic 9?? Of course not.

How do you people know all these details? Do you all worked with Logic 9 already? Am i the only one who surprised today that i got released? There are so many people telling details about stuff that proberly is not fixed in 9? Do you all have played with this new version already.

The only thing i know is from the website which shows only the changes that are intersting from a marketing point of view. I read somewhere that Logic 9 had more then 200 new feaures?

So please tell me if you have played with Logic 9 already or if you are assuming things here?

:shock: . Scaryest thing is that you CAN'T upgrade EDU version *sigh*.

can anybody explain this? how can this be possible? what am i supposed to do now, throw my L8 to a bin and fork out another 500?!?!

THEY MUST BE JOKING!!!

Well, as someone that doesn't typically give out any rants on the subject, I really think it's complete B.S. that they never even finished 8! Regardless of the spiffiness that the upgrade brings. Isn't there supposed to be like a point release or something? I mean, to go from 8.0.2 to 9 with no warning or heads up? And NOW, they are suddenly forcing me to upgrade from Tiger, others to upgrade from PPC, completely disregard all the issues everyone in 8 were asking them to fix AND charge a minimum of $200 buck on top of it all. Also, I feel really bad for all those that bought LP8 recently. It looks like they won't be offering the cheap upgrade to those guys like they did for the 7-to-8 folks...

I'll eventually pony up, but really doesn't make me a loyal customer...I'll look at it like I look working at a corporation - a means to an end, but if something better comes around, I'll have no problem dropping 'em and moving on...

Don't want to pile on the negativity but it just seems they added a bunch of tools to help make shitty musicians sound less shitty-quantize audio? play the part right the first time and the ONE helper they could have added but didn't was any type of pitch manipulation a'la the new DP. I'm actually relieved that it doesn't contain any earth-moving improvements 'cuz an Intel machine is still a ways off for me.......oh, they also improved their amp sim-big deal. no amp sim can replace the sound of the real thing-it's convenient, true, but not the real thing...

I thought this was always true of academic versions--not just Apple, but with most companies.

i was never ever told this! and all the stuff I have from native instruments if I want to upgrade an edu version I CAN, and then the updated version is not an edu any more!

it's crazy, like I paid L8 some 50 euro less, and therefore I have to pay 300 euro more for an upgrade? sorry, doesn't make sense...

Any way of changing an edu version to a normal one?

thanks!

Yuck. This product already exists at a lower price point, and it's called the Native Instruments Rig Kontrol.

We don't need another stupid interface / pedalboard combo. Somebody make a USB pedalboard already, without the audio I/O to jack the price up!!!

...Wow, and it only goes up to 48 kHz, unlike the 192 kHz of NI's box.

They're even supplying a cable to go from the headphone jack to an RCA pair.

FAILURE. :evil:

I know how my Duet sounds.. it kicks. I'm thinking 48K for a stage performance is fine. If you need better you could just pipe directly out of the host laptop or computer AI. I'd be nervous in a live situation to run 192K, but I'm way to bruised from running bleeding edge in live situations. Even a Mac takes time to reboot in a audio hardware crash situation.. Can't imagine how long it would take on a PC.

Its Apogee so it will sell big. If you know a better product, buy it. Does the NI have transport control built in? Like I said, I'm not a guitar guy, so I don't know.

Anywho, I was just excited to see Apogee and Apple on the same page, meaning support for me and my Duet. Didn't mean to make you mad...

8)

I'll eventually pony up, but really doesn't make me a loyal customer...I'll look at it like I look working at a corporation - a means to an end, but if something better comes around, I'll have no problem dropping 'em and moving on...

That's the way I've felt about Apple for a long time. Problem is, nobody seems to be able to beat them at anything they do, so I don't see the drop happening any time soon.

no amp sim can replace the sound of the real thing-it's convenient, true, but not the real thing...

You can spend a lot of time recording something, and be forced to use it as is, or you can save time, and have the recording be easier to manipulate. There's no way your output can be as high if you chose the old school gear instead of plugins, whatever you're doing. It's a balancing act. If you don't have a lot of work to do, use the gear that sounds best. Otherwise, make a lot of great music and know that you can always just put a better-sounding plugin on it later, as technology gets better. It's not like you can't re-release music, and nothing's ever going to be perfect.

"mom come here! Apple put out a new version of this" - eager young teenager (me) holds up logic express to his mother. "All the people on my forum have been wondering when it was going to get upgraded!"

As soon as I saw the news I rushed over to this forum to see what was going on.

To be honest, I got pretty excited. I'm thinking of dropping $300 to go from logic express 8 to logic pro 9

Wait a minute. I thought if you had Logic Express 8 you have to buy Logic Studio 9 full price. I mean I think the upgrade from "Logic Express" means if you bought Logic Express 9 you can upgrade. I mean it would make sense, people who purchased Logic Studio 8 ($500) have to pay $200 to upgrade to Logic Studio 9. (total of $700) So it would make sense for Apple to make Logic Express 8 owners ($200) Pay the full $500 price of Logic Studio 9 (also a $700 total) That sounds like what Apple would do. I see an asterisk next to "Upgrade from Logic Express" but I can't find anything that explains what the asterisk is referring to. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I have Logic Express 8 and I would really like to know this! Tell me there's SOME kind of discount for Logic Express 8 owners...