Logic Studio 9!

thindave

LP8 should have had all the audio-flexing features that have just showed up in LP9.

LP9 should technically have some newer super cool LPX features :lol:

Well.... It's Great to see LP9 finally released. Hopefully it will be updated to 64-bit soon after we venture into OSX-Snow Leopard territory.

I have a feeling it's going to be quite a chilled OS for LP9.

hey Eric...notice this!???! Pretty damn close to having the ProTools Multi Tool!! No more having to constantly select the Fade Tool!!! This will MASSIVLY speed up audio editing.

--------------

Setting the Pointer Tool Behavior

You can set two different behaviors for the Pointer tool when using it in the Arrange window.

To set the behavior of the Pointer tool in the Arrange window

Open General preferences by doing one of the following:

Choose Logic Pro > Preferences > General (or use the corresponding key command).

Click the Preferences button in the Arrange toolbar, then choose General from the pop-up menu.

Click the Editing tab, then select the checkboxes of the required Pointer Tool in Arrange settings.

Fade Tool Click Zones: When this checkbox is selected, placing the mouse pointer over the upper-left and upper-right edges of a region activates the Fade cursor and behavior. The Loop cursor and behavior can still be accessed in these click zones by holding down Option.

Marquee Tool Click Zones: When this checkbox is selected, placing the mouse pointer over the lower half of a region (with the exception of the lower-left and lower-right edges) activates the Marquee cursor and behavior.

Drum replacer? Great, what happened to hiring a good drummer and using good mics, techniques, and good drums. I could just hit some pots and pans and sample replace them all, LAME!

Don't be so radical.

Drum Replacer looks like a very nice function for when you can't hire a great drummer, you can't use good mics, you don't have the appropriate recording technique and don't have great drums... or even if you want to be creative.

It's a tool.

As any other tool is to be used with good sense, good taste and when needed.

LOL! I wasn't trying to be SO radical. I just had to say something, cause I'm a drummer, ha. I use a similar technique to replace my own drums for efx or to fatten or to double. Didn't mean to sound radical.

mah mah my....they sure do make everything look real easy in them videos.

who needs to play in time amymore.... and with that newest melodyne contraption, you could just play one chord on the geetar, and then turn it into any other chord you want!

hehehehehehehe

sheeesh...drummers..

:)

I'm excited about the Drum Replacer thing. I'm fortunate that I often do get budgets to go track live drums. Sometimes, tho..I'll use BFD 2 (LOVE the Baressi stuff)...and have it played with some pads (The new Yahama ones are nice..wish I could buy a set)..

It's just REALLLY nice to have the option to augment a kick/snare/whatever once the mix gets tweaked. This looks like it will make that process much simpler to deal with. I'm anxious to hear what new samples are included.

One way I already DO do this is with Melodyne, since it does a great job of converting audio info (volume into velocity, etc.)..Then save as a MIDI track.. Triggering new sounds in BFD2...RMX....you name it.

My brain is spinning with posibilities :)

Man, I can't wait to upgrade from Logic Express to the New Studio. Should keep me busy for a while. I was hoping the Apogee GiO would contain a 13-pin input and midi so I wouldn't have to buy more hardware. So I go from an Apogee GiO to Macbook Pro, to Bose L1 Compact, Life is Sweet! Someday! :P

It's sounds like a cheap upgrade...... $199 for Logic and only $3,000 for a new Mac.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Well, your Mac IS at least four years old...and whatever you buy IntelMac-wise WILL be more powerful than your current machine. And, unless you throw down for a loaded Mac Pro, it will be more like $1500, not $3000. Or $1100 for a good iMac, or $1000 for a MacBookPro. Heck, a $500 Mac Mini will be more powerful than what you've got now.

So, I hear you. But let's not blow things out of proportion. 8)

Only Power Mac will run PCI based audio systems.

Why in the world would Apple still support old ass PPC's

Well, let's say you dropped over 4000 USD on a new well-equipped Mac Pro today. In 3 years, how would you feel if Apple announced they weren't going to support that machine anymore?

Now, I understand that technology has to move on, and 3 years is a pretty good run for a machine, but when you're used to getting 5 years out of a Mac rig then it can sting a bit. Also, my G5 has more than enough horsepower for my needs, even if Logic 9 was compatible. Other vendors with recent full version releases are still supporting later G5's, eg Pro Tools 8, Ableton Live 8, Max/MSP/Jitter 5, etc. So it's a little soon by Apples usual standards, but it could have been worse, I guess. Besides, I'll probably hang with what I have for the next 6 months or so.

Any word on a free maintenance update for Logic 8? You know, one that fixes undo and other tiny unimportant things like that...

wouldn't it be just lovely?

having to update to 9 for bux fixes would really turn one of those knobs on me that you don't want to turn

all these logic 9 features are just LAME

drum replacer seems pointless :cry: what was wrong with using audio to score??

quantizing audio so it's perfectly on sync? whatever happened to recording a good performance? come on man what is this nonsense :?

and recording at a slower tempo?! that is just LOWWW

isn't this like cheating????

i can't believe sometimes i feel bad about using a little auto-tune when i'm not going for the cher effect

Any word on a free maintenance update for Logic 8? You know, one that fixes undo and other tiny unimportant things like that...

I strongly doubt it.

Now, I understand that technology has to move on

That seems to be the motto for Apple. Let's move on and turn the page.

On one hand, I can understand them: it would take lots of manpower/time for them to continue developing for an outdated processor. If they had the choice between an intel-only release now or a UB release a year from now, I understand their decision. Even with Logic 8, there seems to be less bugs on intel than on PPC. And intel is definitely a big step in speed from PPC. At one point they have to draw the line. 3 years seems reasonable, and Logic 8 still runs just fine on your PPC.

And... well obviously, if that means they can sell more newer macs... ;-)

But I totally understand the user frustration. When I first got Logic 11 years ago, the box said "minimum requirements, G3 or better". So I got the very first G4 and went home with my Logic 4 box, very excited, only to realise that the dongle needed a serial port, and the G4 no longer sported those. GRRRRR! I had to buy a Griffin Serial to USB adaptor, and wait a week to get it delivered!

That's the annoying side of technology. Always trying to catch up.

all these logic 9 features are just LAME

I think they're what the community has been asking for: elastic time, bounce in place, audio quantizing, editing inside take folders, importing tracks from one project to the next, etc... those were big in the list of new feature suggestions.

Edited by David Nahmani

well you don't HAVE to..

Yeah maybe I'll write a book about traveling through Italy instead. With real-world exercises (that, of course, I will have to put through rigorous tests first). :lol:

PS: Why Italy? Oh I don't know it just sounds good right now. Cue Eddie Izzard without his helmet on his scooter: "Ciao, ciao...ciao..." :mrgreen:

well you don't HAVE to..

Yeah maybe I'll write a book about traveling through Italy instead. With real-world exercises (that, of course, I will have to put through rigorous tests first). :lol:

PS: Why Italy? Oh I don't know it just sounds good right now. Cue Eddie Izzard without his helmet on his scooter: "Ciao, ciao...ciao..." :mrgreen:

sounds like a better idea!

at least that way you wouldn't be teaching n00bs how to record dragon force covers quantized at half the speed :roll:

On one hand, I can understand them: it would take lots of manpower/time for them to continue developing for an outdated processor. If they had the choice between an intel-only release now or a UB release a year from now, I understand their decision.

You are so right! The main problem is often not even engineering (hey, the PowerPC code has already been written), but for every OS version that is officially supported the QA (tester) team has to test all Logic Studio applications on all supported hardware on all supported Mac OS X versions - this doesn't even count different configurations of the same machine (e.g. different graphic cards).

If all versions of 10.5 would be supported, you easily end up with 50-100 different test configurations, considering that a full sweep of an app takes days, you could end up with 1/2 year just to qualify one release candidate for shipping... By limiting it to the last available free 10.5 update, you "just" have to test it against the supported machines. That saves a lot of time, which can be used to do more thorough testing and get an overall better product to the customer.

Also: Apple fixed a bunch of bugs in Mac OS X 10.5, as a user you really don't want to use an outdated version to run into long fixed bugs.

i bought logic pro 7.2 at 1000 dollars 9 months before logic studio.. that REALLY hurted... the school where i used to tech to got me logic studio 8 and that is what i had and love since the first day... lucky for me, i still have MY logic 7.2 proof of purchase so i can get my logic studio 9 copy for 200 bucks!!! ( as soon as snow leopard comes out, i dont want to install and re install...) the only thing missing is a decent vocal tuner, i hope this one works well with melodyne and that bounce in place thing

no offense man, 9months is a fair amount of time. ;)

It makes absolutely no sense to me as a college student I got a $50 discount and bought L8 a year ago for $449. Now a year later, I am still a student and to upgrade to L9, I will have to pay another $449. That's a total student cost of $898, whereas the the non-student cost would be $698..

I would like to upgrade, but I simply cannot fork out another $449.. What would happen if I just bought the $199 L9 upgrade and tried to install it? Would it not work?

Apple fixed a bunch of bugs in Mac OS X 10.5, as a user you really don't want to use an outdated version to run into long fixed bugs.

apple seems to fix something and break something with each update

So does EVERY software developer