Customize Control Bar options greyed out.

Cappy
Go to solution Solved by Cappy,

The issue is now worked around in the Nektar scripts.  Next update will address this.  

The underlying cause is a combination of factors, not anything the Nektar integration was doing wrong really, but once I figured out what was going on I was able to work around it without compromising the feature set.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GeneralDisarray said:

I really dislike that thing Logic has where a lot of settings are stored as project settings instead of program wide

Usually you use project templates if you want some project settings to be present in all of your projects.

4 hours ago, Cappy said:

the support team at Nektar has always been amazing and responsive

As this thread shows! Thanks @TChandlerfor the direct communication and your team for the quick fix (even though I don't own any Nektar hardware).

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Usually you use project templates if you want some project settings to be present in all of your projects.

Sure, I do that, but then I always find another thing that I need and forgot to put in the template, so I have to close the current project, open the template, add it, close it, and reopen the project. That and the fact that I'm still learning Logic, so there's always a new thing I learn and I'd like to keep as a preference for all projects, but it's also a per project one.

But like I said, maybe it's something that was designed that way for a good purpose and I just don't see it.

2 hours ago, TChandler said:

The issue is now worked around in the Nektar scripts.  Next update will address this.

Thanks, we really appreciate that. Now, I know there's probably a section in the keyboard manual about this, but these days I have a pile of PDF manuals to read that if they were actual paper books, it would be like the tower of Babel.

So if I can ask you, for my keyboard, the Impact LX88+, what are the extra functions that the driver provides? I've had it for about 5 months and I like it a lot, especially the pads, but as far as I can tell, everything sends MIDI CC signals, so that hasn't changed since I disabled the driver.

Is there anything else that we get with the driver, even after it's fixed?

On 2/17/2023 at 6:04 PM, des99 said:

Can you document how to reproduce it so we can try?

It's probably not worthwhile trying to reproduce it as it's such an obscure issue that involves several external factors.

The underlying issue I've communicated to the Apple devs so it will likely be addressed soon.

4 minutes ago, TChandler said:

It's probably not worthwhile trying to reproduce it as it's such an obscure issue that involves several external factors.

Over the past year or so we've had a handful of people with the problem, so understanding what's causing it could be very helpful for people affected by this. All we've had up to now is "Yes, this seems to be a bug affecting a bunch of people that none of us so far has been able to reproduce."

So any information is potentially useful, while we wait ultimately for a fix from Apple if need be. Are you saying this is only an issue caused by, or experienced by people running Nektar's?

Edited by des99

2 hours ago, des99 said:

So any information is potentially useful, while we wait ultimately for a fix from Apple if need be. Are you saying this is only an issue caused by, or experienced by people running Nektar's?

So the problem is custom settings cached in project files not getting restored correctly due to a conflict when a project is loaded at startup when a control surface was connected.  

I reproduced it using a customers personal keystrokes file the sent to our support guys, which I can't share I'm afraid.

I can't say it's only related to Nektar scripts - It could happen with any control surface that loads up in a mode where the transport controls may be assigned to something else.  

Nektar controllers have the ability to accept/cancel Logic's alert dialogs by pressing [Play]/[Stop] respectively.  This functionality is in parallel with the Transport assignments and loads at startup - hence the reports are linked back to Nektar controllers.

In the case of the Nektar scripts, the control item representing the transport controls are standard: 'play', 'stop', 'record' etc.  It seems that there is some undocumented internal wiring for control items labelled 'play', 'stop', record' etc with an expectation that the function will be a keystroke.  

So, if any control surface uses these standardised labels and has a mode in which they are not mapped to a keystroke element in Logic's SDK, or as in our case they are used in the alertAssignments table, there is a chance of this conflict.

The workaround in our case was to change the labels for the transport control items.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2023 at 12:20 AM, GeneralDisarray said:

So if I can ask you, for my keyboard, the Impact LX88+, what are the extra functions that the driver provides? I've had it for about 5 months and I like it a lot, especially the pads, but as far as I can tell, everything sends MIDI CC signals, so that hasn't changed since I disabled the driver.

Is there anything else that we get with the driver, even after it's fixed?

It's not a driver, the Nektar installers provide DAW integration.  The DAW integration provides automatic linkup with Logic's transport controls, navigation and controls automation for plugins and mixer channels rather than using standard MIDI CCs which have to be mapped manually.   

This video provides an overview:

Interesting stuff, thanks for summarising your troubleshooting.

From what I've seen, it's not just on startup - loading a project with Logic already running can reset the state of the checkboxes that are customising the control bar (not just the transport controls - all controls on the control bar) - but it's possible that these are related issues to the underlying cause, or completely different issues.

3 minutes ago, des99 said:

Interesting stuff, thanks for summarising your troubleshooting.

From what I've seen, it's not just on startup - loading a project with Logic already running can reset the state of the checkboxes that are customising the control bar (not just the transport controls - all controls on the control bar) - but it's possible that these are related issues to the underlying cause, or completely different issues.

Yes that makes sense, as the conflict occurs as custom settings are loaded from a project file.  

The underlying issue is a conflict due to the transport control assignments (of the control surface) being something different and non-keystroke related at the time a project loads.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, denitronik said:

I have some of the transport commands ( play, stop, record) set to be controlled by à MIDI device (Logidy umi3) other than my Impact49 which work without problem. Maybe that affects the Nektar integration? Like des99 is saying, the problem doesn’t only happen at startup. 

Scripts that link transport controls to transport exclusively will not conflict.  The issue in the Nektar scripts is we also use [PLAY] and [STOP] to close out alert dialogs - which means you don't have to use the mouse or QWERTY keyboard when they pop up (see the video 5 comments back at about 4:50 in).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys/gals. I’m exhibiting for a microphone company Roswell Pro Audio at NAMM. The Nektar booth is a few booths away from mine. I met Mr. Chandler and wanted to thank him for his attention to this thread. They were doing demos of their new controller that will be called the CS12 and is supposed to come out in august. It’s full daw controller. Programmable buttons and encoders that are color coded (and change colors depending on what they are controlling). Example, you have the eq open and the colors of the encoders correspond to the frequency band colors. So many features. The proposed price is $399. That might change but I tried to hand him my credit card. It’s great. Their tech support has always been fantastic. Kudos to Nektar!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...