Nektar Panorama CS12 - customised control of Logic Pro X

6 hours ago, TChandler said:

Looking to implement a tagging system for controlCore where you can tag you favourite plugins making a more compressed list which would be much better.

@TChandler
Looking at the list layout of the channel strip (bypass)....
Something similar to this for insertion would be ideal.....with categories listed - then use the buttons below the screen and/or data encoder to navigate/cascade/instantiate.

While you're undoubtedly across it....leveraging these would seem do-able:
~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Databases/Tags/MusicApps.properties
~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Databases/Tags/MusicApps.tagpool

13 hours ago, enossified said:

Tim,

So is ControlCore an app running outside of the CS12? Or is it integrated inside the CS12 firmware?

If it’s a separate app, any chances of a firmware update to the P series to use it?

Correct, ControlCore is a separate system that handles plugin mapping data without having to host the plugin directly.   

The P-Series is set up quite differently from CS12 so it's not feasible to update it for ControlCore, but P-series will ofcourse continue to be supported and handles plugin mapping via Logic preferences after last year's update.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Scriabin rocks said:

Just a thought, I saw it with some interest, and the first thought that crossed my mind was that I would immediately purchase it if there was a robust joystick included to control plugins. So many plugins use x/y pads for various functions. ymmv.

Interesting thought.   The map for Logic's Remix plugin and Phat FX include XY controls and I put them on the top left and right most controls so that you can really crank them.  It works well in use, but of course you have to look to the plugin GUI to see the value changes clearly.

• Like 1

Tim,

is there any way to assign macros (multiple parameter control) to the CS12 knobs?
Obviously, this can be done at the plug-in level in synths like ES2 (and Smart Controls, etc.).

Is Learn mode restricted to one param/one knob or does the CS12 have the smarts to allow you to either learn/assign multiple params to one knob....or to (internally) assign say knob 12 to simultaneously control knobs 1 thru 4 (and therefore the params assigned to these knobs) for example?

Hope this makes sense?

3 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Tim,

is there any way to assign macros (multiple parameter control) to the CS12 knobs?
Obviously, this can be done at the plug-in level in synths like ES2 (and Smart Controls, etc.).

Is Learn mode restricted to one param/one knob or does the CS12 have the smarts to allow you to either learn/assign multiple params to one knob....or to (internally) assign say knob 12 to simultaneously control knobs 1 thru 4 (and therefore the params assigned to these knobs) for example?

Hope this makes sense?

The button at the bottom of the channel strip controls accesses Smart controls (with feedback) and 2 'user' pages for custom mappings using Logic's Learn.  

To simplify Logic's learn process we have an automatic assignment method - hold SHIFT on CS12, select the parameter to learn in Logic, then move a control on the CS12 user page until you see the assignment appear in the display.  Logic's learn is toggle on and off automatically during the assignment process.

What is particularly good about these user assignments is they are high-resolution controls, not 7-bit MIDI CC mapping.  So you still get fine control, parameter names and value feedback even for the global user assignments.  Also, the User pages are handled outside of the Control Surface domain so if you 'rebuild defaults' you don't end up with duplicates plus the user mappings are maintained.

For macro style controls, I suggest using smart controls.  It is possible to assign the user pages to multiple parameters.  I just think if you do this you can get in a real mess with Logic's learned mappings.

We don't allow multiple parameter mapping to a single control though ControlCore presently.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, rcandy said:

The manual says you can use one of the encoders whilst holding down one of the buttons to move the play head position 

Yep.
Similar to the other Panoramas where you can use different buttons alone - or in combo - with the Data Encoder knob to move by a bar or different increment, to scroll/scrub freely, between markers, etc.
I think it can be more precise than the other Panoramas due to the higher res of the pots...but won't know how this is implemented/feels until I get my hands on one.

• Like 1

I just got my CS12 yesterday and I have to say I'm really impressed so far. The build quality is nice and it fits perfectly on my desktop. I also have an Icon P1 Nano and it is just....meh. I am excited to see how the CS12 will integrate with Bitwig when they finally get around to working on that integration.

• Like 4

On 2/23/2024 at 8:10 PM, Sonas said:

Is there something like a jog wheel? Not only to navigate to markers

There is a dedicated zoom control for horizontal zoom and vertical zoom with SHIFT held down.

The Data/Menu rotary scrolls:

-  Playhead with FWD/REW held (adds marker at playhead when pressed)

- cycle position with Cycle/goto start/end of cycle buttons held

- scrub with [MAGNIFIER] button held

- Markers with the [Markers] button held down (also adds marker when pressed)

- Automation modes with [AUTO] held down

- Footswitch assignment with either foot switch held down

• Like 1

I'm curious to find out about how well the CS12 handles Smart Controls. It's been a promising concept, but I've yet to run into a controller that handles Smart Controls well. Granted, I only used a few of them, but having third-party Smart Control settings just work out of the box has been less than promising. 

• Like 1

@TChandler Mine arrived today and initial impressions as very very favourable. I've found control of logic built in plug-ins to be very smooth - haven't yet tried any third party ones. In general the device feels very intuitive to use

The only oddity I've noticed is that moving from channel to channel and setting the track volume with the fade doesn't always work. I can move to a channel that is set at unity drag the fade down and this is shown correctly in logic. The let go of the fader and move it up and logic doesn't follow suit (this is v10.8.1). Sometimes moving the fader down doesn't illicit a response either.

Now I do have an SSL UF1 installed as well and I'm wandering whether another control surface being installed maybe upsetting things. Ironically if I move the fader on the UF1 then CS12 follows suit

Update 

Removing the UF1 and rebuilding defaults didn't really seem to do anything positive. However, I've noticed on the occasions that I get a sleepy fader if I tap it then it then Logic seems to suddenly jump tp the correct value

Edited by rcandy
Additional info

12 hours ago, rcandy said:

@TChandler Mine arrived today and initial impressions as very very favourable. I've found control of logic built in plug-ins to be very smooth - haven't yet tried any third party ones. In general the device feels very intuitive to use

The only oddity I've noticed is that moving from channel to channel and setting the track volume with the fade doesn't always work. I can move to a channel that is set at unity drag the fade down and this is shown correctly in logic. The let go of the fader and move it up and logic doesn't follow suit (this is v10.8.1). Sometimes moving the fader down doesn't illicit a response either.

Great to hear you are getting on so well with the CS12!

Regarding the fader issue it sounds like the initial touch on the top of the fader cap is not picked up.  

Please make sure you have updated to the latest Firmware (v1.0.4 has just been released) and if the problem persists if you set up a support ticket in your Nektar account, we will be able to deal with the issue promptly.  

15 hours ago, somelpuser said:

In comparison with the PX line, are the CS12 buttons harder/easier to press or the same? @TChandler

Difficult to say, but I can say they are rubber and probably on par with the P-series.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TChandler said:

Please make sure you have updated to the latest Firmware (v1.0.4 has just been released)

That seems to have done the trick. Not had any fader issues for the past hour since upgrading.

Think you've done a great job on this and I speak as someone who has tried multiple control surfaces over the years with logic 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rcandy said:

When adding an unmapped plug in via Nektarine where can I set the colour classification?

Look at pages 12, 15, and 16 in the CS12 manual.
Color can be set on the CS12 directly...for the plug-in overall, and individual knobs/buttons within the plug-in.
https://nektartech.com//wp-content//uploads//2024//02//Panorama-CS12-Logic-Pro-Owners-Manual.pdf

Also look at the Logic channel strip colour settings (in Logic itself).
CS12 follows these automatically.
Page 11 of the CS12 guide covers this.

Thank you had noticed the bit in the manual as was hunting around in nektarine

but this cover is

Setting the plugin color: The plugin color illuminates the plugin slot button as well as all the controls, except
when controls are individually set.

To set the plugin color hold the [Plugin slot button] and move the [Data/Menu] encoder

Finally got my CS12 this afternoon, and it does look like a nice piece of kit; could go along well with my Kontrol S88 MK3, maybe put it on the right of the keyboard's screen.

I guess we are far from having a single installation that installs from start to finish, but it mostly worked out.  But eventually, got that sorted once I found I had to move from a USB-B to a Thunderbolt dock for the CS12 to have sufficient power. 

I'll need a few days to evaluate it, as I have other things on my plate. But one thing that I'm concerned about, and maybe I am missing this, is that for my low vision, the screen needs to be brighter. I have skimmed the manual, and did not see anything like a system utility to brighten the screen. I hope that someone can point it out, or otherwise hope that Nektar can sort it via a firmware update. 

From what I've been reading on this thread so far, the promise is there.