Free plug-ins

Freeware plug-ins are a bit of a minefield. There are quite a few out there that do nothing as well as Logic's own onboard plug-ins do, IMO. They're built for those who don't have Logic.

No way!

I use loads of freeware plugs with Logic.

Massey Tape Head, TAL synths, ADT, Luxonix vinyl emulator, King Dubby delay, and tons of others. Also, even though they're donationware not freeware, the Stillwell Audio plugs are great too.

Here's what the developer says about it:

...the plugins are shareware. You download a freely-available demo copy, then either uninstall them or buy a license at the end of your demo period (which you agreed to do when you installed them). The only twist is that the plugins don't physically expire at the end of the demo period...it's strictly honor system to buy a license to the plugs. I figure I can trust you guys to buy a license if you use the plugs. If there are people out there that I can't trust, then at least I'll probably get a better nights' sleep than they will.

Anyway, sales aren't wonderful, but I guess any money is more money than I would have had otherwise.

Scott

J.

Freeware plug-ins are a bit of a minefield. There are quite a few out there that do nothing as well as Logic's own onboard plug-ins do, IMO. They're built for those who don't have Logic.

No way!

I use loads of freeware plugs with Logic.

Massey Tape Head, TAL synths, ADT, Luxonix vinyl emulator, King Dubby delay, and tons of others. Also, even though they're donationware not freeware, the Stillwell Audio plugs are great too.

....I said "quite a few", not ALL. It's just a matter of being cautious - Afterall, most of them say install at your own risk.

ADT is the plug-in I tried out today and then trashed it - Logic's plug-in does it better imo.

What does King Dubby delay do that Logic's Delay Designer can't do?

I'm not anti third-party plug-ins - I just would advise not to get too excited about the freeware ones and approach with caution.

[ADT is the plug-in I tried out today and then trashed it - Logic's plug-in does it better imo.

Which plugin?

Well, Logic's Tape Delay is the equivelent, not Delay Designer. In some situations I prefer the degredation controls on the King Dubby. Sometimes something as simple as the GUI style can end lead to different results, or habits of use.

I'm not anti third-party plug-ins - I just would advise not to get too excited about the freeware ones and approach with caution.

Ok.

Here's what the developer says about it:

...the plugins are shareware. You download a freely-available demo copy, then either uninstall them or buy a license at the end of your demo period (which you agreed to do when you installed them). The only twist is that the plugins don't physically expire at the end of the demo period...it's strictly honor system to buy a license to the plugs. I figure I can trust you guys to buy a license if you use the plugs. If there are people out there that I can't trust, then at least I'll probably get a better nights' sleep than they will.

Anyway, sales aren't wonderful, but I guess any money is more money than I would have had otherwise.

Scott

J.

Well, then I guess in this regard I'm a pretty dishonourable guy.

But, seeing as I can't afford to pay for plugs, I can't bring myself to delete such useful and great sounding ones. My night's sleep will suffer, but until I can afford to buy the licence, I'm willing to lose some sleep for excellent plugins.

Sorry Scott, I hope you understand.

Well, then I guess in this regard I'm a pretty dishonourable guy.

But, seeing as I can't afford to pay for plugs, I can't bring myself to delete such useful and great sounding ones. My night's sleep will suffer, but until I can afford to buy the licence, I'm willing to lose some sleep for excellent plugins.

....I wouldn't worry about it, mate. It's traditional for artists to suffer for their art. But anyway, you never know what's around the corner and you may be able to or want to pay one day. Your conscience should be clear - You have a valid reason not to pay. :)

[ADT is the plug-in I tried out today and then trashed it - Logic's plug-in does it better imo.

Which plugin?

Well, Logic's Tape Delay is the equivelent, not Delay Designer. In some situations I prefer the degredation controls on the King Dubby. Sometimes something as simple as the GUI style can end lead to different results, or habits of use.

Ok.

....The Voice Doubler was the ADT plug-in which didn't impress me. It has impressed many other folk though.

....I know what you mean about a simple GUI style. Some plug-ins are magnificent works of art but initially are as daunting as the flight deck of Concorde.

I'll check out King Dubby if I can't achieve what I want in the project I'm currently creating.

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's one from Dirac3 Technology: http://dirac.dspdimension.com/Dirac3_Technology_Home_Page/Dirac3_Technology.html It's a time and pitch shifting plug-in that can be used on both monophonic and polyphonic material. The download consists of an SDK for programmers and the fully functioning AU for non-programmers.

Also, a well-known freebee for Windows users has made it's way to the Mac platform. It's called Synth1 and can be found here: www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/ Unfortunately, it's a VST only at the moment. But I thought I'd at least let you know about in case you also use Ableton Live or another DAW that supports VST's.

One other thing to mention is that the new copy of Computer Music will feature an exclusive plug-in designed for CM by the folks at www.loomer.co.uk/index.htm It's called Cumulus and will be on the included CM DVD. It's a granular sampler and looks like a top-notch free plug-in.

- xpander

Edited by xpander

Here's one from Dirac3 Technology: http://dirac.dspdimension.com/Dirac3_Technology_Home_Page/Dirac3_Technology.html It's a time and pitch shifting plug-in that can be used on both monophonic and polyphonic material. The download consists of an SDK for programmers and the fully functioning AU for non-programmers.

Cool, looks interesting to me = 1 slider and nothing else! Will check it out.

Thanks!

J.

• 1 month later...
Also, even though they're donationware not freeware, the Stillwell Audio plugs are great too.

They're not exactly donationware, my dear reverend.

J.

Incidentally, I did do the right thing in the end. As soon as I could spare any cash I bought Superior Drummer and stopped using the 1973 EQ. I was only using it to beef-up cheap drum samples anyway.

Phew! Conscience cleared!

Sure no problem. These are cool too from Ignite Amps- http://www.igniteamps.com/

These amp sims, and the gain pedal, are absolutely amazing for metal tone!

Very high level of controllability too, including up to 8x oversampling and on one plugin a choice of symmetric or asymmetric distortion!

You do need a cab emulation after it in the chain, but I prefer routing it like this because I can bus it to a few aux channels, each with different mic position IRs of the same cab.

Also, I don't believe Nubula3 Free has been mentioned in this thread:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=101

It's incredibly CPU hungry, apparently deliberately so because the paid-for version boasts lower CPU usage, but some of the presets sound very, very good IMHO. Also make sure to keep input levels to these plugs well under -20dBFS, as they distort very easily (it does have input/output gain adjustment).

Here's a list of free 3rd party presets: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?f=10&t=370&rb_v=viewtopic

My preferred presets are:

110 Solaire preamp

"New Man" Mic (good at adding a touch of class to lower quality recordings)

"Spartans" hall reverb

Color Tape

It's too CPU intensive, and reverbs produce too much latency, to use during tracking, but I've got into an acceptable workflow of printing it to each track during the mixing stage.

Not sure why it tends to produce such vehement disagreements when discussed on the net though...

Edited by Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

• 1 month later...

This thing sounds great-

http://www.kuassa.com/products/basiq

basiQ is an acronym for Baxandall Simulation Equalizer, a FREE 3-band equalizer plugin with photorealistic graphics from Kuassa, Inc. As the name implies, the engine are modeled after a design of classic baxandall equalizer well known for its smooth shelves and natural-sounding responses, similar to the tone control on a hi-fi systems. The simple controls allow you to shape the frequency from many sources to your needs, from opening up an air on guitar leads, adding a gentle shimmer on vocals, giving extra ‘oomph‘ on your synth basslines, or even getting more presence from your masters.

This straightforward equalizer are well-suited for mixing or mastering purpose although the neutral characteristic of basiQ are more suitable as a ‘sweetening‘ device or giving some transparent ‘tilt‘ to your mix rather than a surgical device, best paired on master output with Kratos Maximizer, another audio processing plugin from Kuassa, Inc.

Features:

■FREE!

■Simple tone control with large Low, Mid, and High knobs

■Preset Management with 12 preset slot within a single bank

■Mono and Stereo applicable.

■Supports up to 96 kHz Sample Rate.

■Compact and straightforward user interface.

• 1 month later...